Arlo Camera Reviews
Arlo offers a powerful line of wireless camera options that are designed to offer you a customizable home security experience. Whether you’re looking for one camera or an entire Arlo system to cover your home, we think you can find solid choices packed with some impressive features.
Video quality and flexibility is what sets Arlo apart from its competitors. These camera models are perfect for people who aren’t looking for contracts or professional monitoring. Arlo’s camera will give you a crisp view of what’s going on in your house without the hassle of professional installation or long-term commitments.
All of Arlo’s camera options have HD video quality. The Ultra has 4k resolution, which is something most cameras don’t offer.
With no contracts come higher out of pocket costs. You’ll have to pay the entire cost of the hardware for these cameras.
Arlo Camera Specifics
Arlo Camera Tech Features
Here are some of the tech features Arlo offers that stood out to our SecurityNerd.
- HD Video: Arlo offers full HD video options for a crystal-clear picture.
- Night vision: Some of the camera models even have color night vision.
- Integrated spotlight: There are some Arlo camera models that include a spotlight built right into the camera for better quality video when motion is detected at night.
- 2-way communication: You’ll be able to talk to someone you see on camera, whether it’s a family member or would-be intruder. And you can listen in to what’s happening on the other side as well.
- Siren: Sometimes built into the base station and sometimes right into the camera itself, the siren will scare off intruders.
- Weather resistant models: Some of the most popular Arlo camera models can be installed either indoors or outside.
- Customized alerts: You can set specific activity zones around your home or yard and receive alerts when motion is detected.
- Advanced object detection: The camera can tell when a person, vehicle, animal or even package is detected in your home or at your door.
- E911 emergency feature: If you see an emergency situation unfolding, you have the option to call 911 directly from the app without even unlocking your phone.
Arlo Camera System Installation
When it comes to DIY installation, Arlo camera installation is about as simple as it gets. Arlo customers consistently rank this as one of the simplest installations out there, due to the wireless configuration. The company says it takes under 10 minutes to get a camera up and running. It’s as simple as plugging in the base station and logging into the user-friendly app to begin. The work is essentially done for you, as your mobile device will discover the new equipment and links automatically.
It’s important to only install one camera at a time, while making sure each camera is within just a few feet from the base station while syncing. You can lay the camera flat on a bookshelf or table, or place it on a wall with the included magnetic camera mount.
Arlo Camera Video Quality
Arlo’s strongest selling point is the quality of the video you’ll get with the purchase of each device. While each model provides HD video, the newest model, Arlo Ultra, provides 4K UHD image quality for unparalleled video quality in home surveillance. Even with its night vision, users will enjoy a clear picture and color night vision in the more advanced models.
Smart Home Integration Options
While Arlo provides some automation options, they are not as robust as some other home security camera systems out there. However, the company announced a new “Works with Arlo” program at the beginning of 2019, promising more smart home options as the year progresses, so we’ll be keeping an eye on it.
Arlo cameras are compatible with Apple HomeKit, Alexa as well as Google Assistant. This smart home integration allows you to stream your live camera feed onto your television just by using your voice. Other third party integration options include SmartThings, Stringify, Telguard, and Wink. You can also utilize IFTTT technology with your Arlo camera system.
Monitoring through Arlo
You can set up your cameras to alert you in just about any situation and you can even dial 911 immediately from inside the app in case of an emergency. The key thing to know about Arlo is that there is no professional monitoring option at all. That means if you choose to buy the Arlo camera system, you’ll need to be confident enough to monitor your home on your own.
Arlo’s Pricing Options
It’s a good idea to figure out exactly how many cameras you need to cover your home before purchasing anything from Arlo, because the more cameras you buy, the better the deal you’ll get. On every single camera option, you will end up saving money if you purchase more than one.
For example, buying just one of Arlo’s highest tier cameras, the Arlo Ultra, costs $399.99. But, if you purchase a two-camera kit, it will cost you $599.99. That’s even less than buying the one camera option, and an add-on option at a later date. You’ll save about $100 by buying the two-camera system up front. That doesn’t mean you should stack your cart with a ton of cameras you don’t actually need. It just means that you should do a thorough walk through of your home or apartment and figure out exactly how many you will need so that you don’t end up buying them one by one later.
Video Storage Bundles
There are a few different options to choose from when it comes to storing the video captured by your Arlo camera. Each purchase comes with a basic plan where users can store up to 7 days of video on the cloud. To get anything above that, you’ll have to pay extra. Here are how the storage plans break down:
- Arlo Smart: For $2.99/month per camera, you’ll be able to store 30 days of recordings on the cloud. Features include advanced A.I. detection, custom activity zones and lock screen notifications.
- Arlo Smart Premier: For $9.99/month for up to 10 cameras, you’ll get all the features included from the smart plan plus the ability to dial 911 from inside the app in case of an emergency.
- Arlo Smart Elite: For $14.99/month, you’ll get 60 day recording history stored on the cloud for up to 20 cameras with all the same features of the premier plan.
There is also an optional upgrade for the Arlo Ultra, Q Plus, Q, and Pro 2 cameras called continuous video recording, or CVR. This enables the camera to keep footage 24/7, instead of only the motion activated video clips. For a 14-day CVR plan, the cost is $10 per month per camera. For a 30-day CVR plan, you’ll pay $20 per month per camera. It’s important to note, you can only use CVR if your camera is plugged in.
This is Arlo’s top-of-the-line security camera that captures 4k video for crystal clear image quality. It is weather-resistant, so you can install these wireless cameras inside or out. The 180 degree field of view gives you a birds-eye view of your property. It also features an integrated spotlight and enhanced night vision. You get a year of the Premier plan for free with purchase.
Other features: Noise cancellation, close-up zoom, enhanced color night vision, auto-zoom and tracking, w-way communication, siren, smart home integration.
- UHD video quality - Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality technology
- 180 Degree diagonal field of view - See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction reducing the fish eye effect
- Enhanced night vision - See what’s lurking with color night vision allowing you to see video in color rather than traditional black and...
- Integrated spotlight - Light up the night using Arlo Ultra’s integrated spotlight
- Smart Home Security featuring superior video and audio quality
Arlo Pro 2
This model delivers HD video with a host of other useful features including advanced motion detection, custom activity zones and a 3-second lookback feature that will allow you to see what happened in your home prior to motion detection. This wireless camera also has a rechargeable battery along with crisp night vision.
Other features: 2-way communication, sound detection, local backup storage, smart home integration options, siren.
- 100 percent wire free: Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD high quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible powering options use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
- Weatherproof Pro cameras are weatherproof so you can place them anywhere indoors and out
- 7 days of free cloud recordings pro comes with recurring 7 days free cloud recordings. Live stream or view recorded video and audio for up...
This is one of Arlo’s most popular models for good reason — it’s affordable and still has a range of features that will satisfy most people’s needs. It delivers HD quality video and is 100% wire free and weather resistant. You’ll also get crisp night vision and advanced motion detection.
Other features: 2-way communication, siren, rechargeable battery, smart home integration.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- 100 Wire free : Free of power cords and wiring hassles, easily place Arlo Pro cameras wherever you want and monitor your home from every...
- Night vision: 850 nm LEDs illuminates up to 25 feet, IR cut off filter. Field of view: 130 degree, Focus range (ST) Fixed focus (2 feet to...
- Rechargeable Batteries : Arlo Pro cameras include rechargeable batteries that support fast charging. Video resolution Configurable up to...
- 2 Way Audio : Built in mic and speaker enable push to talk capability, so you can listen in and talk back
You can’t purchase only one of these basic Arlo model cameras from its website. The smallest bundle comes with 3 cameras, and costs around $450 including the base station. They are wire-free models that deliver HD quality video in a small package. This model does not have 2-way communication.
Other features: Motion alerts, night vision, weather-resistant, smart home integration options.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately); Audio not supported
- See in stunning clarity and sharper details with HD cameras and watch live streamed or recorded videos from your computer, smartphone or...
- Patented 100% wire-free design and magnetic mounts let you discreetly place cameras where you want and monitor your home from every possible...
- Night vision cameras with HD clarity even in the dark
- Motion activated cameras and customizable activity alerts provide real-time email or app notifications while home or away
This indoor/outdoor model runs on LTE coverage, so it can go wherever you get cell coverage. It could be a great neighborhood watch camera, or a way to keep an eye on the job site with HD video.
Other features: Rechargeable battery, advanced motion detection, cloud storage, night vision, 2-way audio, siren. Check out our full review of the Arlo Go.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- 100% Wire-free - Lets you discreetly place cameras indoors or outdoors
- Untethered mobile security- Supports 3G and 4G-LTE wireless connections
- Night Vision- Enhanced night vision capability lets you see clearly even in the dark
- Weather-resistant - Place them anywhere-indoors or out.Night vision:850 nm LEDs,illuminates upto 25 ft
This indoor option is the model you’ll want if you are interested in continuous video recording. Unlike most Arlo camera models, it plugs into the wall. It has enhanced night vision and 2-way audio.
Other features: 130 degree lens, smart alerts, smart home integration.
Check out our full Arlo Q review for more.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Stream live video 24/7 and watch past recordings in sharp 1080p HD resolution from anywhere in the world using your smartphone, tablet, or...
- Save on expensive subscription fees with free cloud storage that lets you view, share, and download recordings from the past 7 days at no...
- Receive instant alerts on your mobile phone whenever motion or sound is detected. Wi-Fi range 300 feet line of sight
- BPA free secure-fit plastic lids are freezer, microwave and top-rack dishwasher safe
Arlo Q Plus
Arlo touts this one as being your best bet for business monitoring. This camera has power over ethernet capability, smart alerts, and 2-way audio to keep an eye on your business while you’re away.
Other features: Smart alerts, smart home integration options, night vision.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- 1080p HD resolution Live stream sharp HD resolution from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet, or computer.Night vision:850 nm LEDs:...
- Enhanced night vision capability lets you see clearly even in total darkness; Wide angle 130° lens makes sure you will see and get alerted...
- Flexible setup options w/ local storage Connect the camera with WiFi, Ethernet, or PoE and use local recording in case of Internet...
- 2 Way Audio Built in mic and speaker enable push to talk capability, so you can listen in and talk back
This is Arlo’s offering for parents who want to keep an eye on their little ones. It has HD quality video, a lullaby player and a night light. You can also monitor the air condition and temperature in your nursery and get alerted if something is out of your desired range. You’ll get motion and sound alerts and even get alerted if your baby is crying.
Other features: Advanced night vision, smart music player, built-in rechargeable battery, smart home integration options.
- 1080P HD video quality - View live or recorded videos in excellent detail and rich Color, from anywhere in the world
- 2-way wireless talk - Comfort and talk to your baby from anywhere, whether you’re at the office or in the living room
- Advanced night vision - Near-invisible Infrared LEDs let you see your baby clearly even in total darkness
- 2 way wireless talk - Comfort and talk to your baby from anywhere
- Works with Alexa, Apple home Kit; Google assistant, IFTTT
If you decide to purchase an Arlo camera system, there are additional accessories that you can purchase to beef up your security game including a security light with motion sensors and an audio doorbell. Both integrate easily with the cameras and work seamlessly together.
The Bottom Line
If you are in the market for a camera system that offers really solid video quality and customized smart alerts, an Arlo camera system could be a good option for you. As long as you’re comfortable installing it yourself and monitoring your own home, it could save you a lot of cash over choosing a more traditional security system.
This is also an ideal system for renters or people who aren’t looking to drill any holes. (If this describes you, check out our resources for apartment security.) Most Arlo camera options are 100% wireless, which means they are portable so you can take them with you when you move. With no contract, you can pick and choose your video storage options and customize your system to your liking. Arlo delivers a powerful line of cameras with plenty of added features including smart home integration options. If you don’t mind taking on your own security monitoring, Arlo could be a good choice.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).