The Ten Best Indoor Security Cameras of 2021
A reliable indoor home security camera is an important piece of equipment when it comes to protecting your house. A great security camera will give you peace of mind while at work or even on vacation, providing a simple way to check in on what’s happening in real time. There are tons of cameras on the market, so to save you some time, we’ve put together a list of our favorite indoor security camera picks.
While most of our top picks are wireless (we believe wireless to generally be a better option), there are also some solid hardwired cameras to choose from if you prefer to go that route.
We also cover some tips on what to look for in an indoor camera. All of the options listed here are great - the one that's best for you is going to depend on your specific situation. Let's dive in.
Our Top Picks
|Arlo Ultra||Wyze Cam Pan||Canary All-In-One|
|Field of View||180 degree||360 degree||147 degree|
|Indoor or Outdoor||Both||Indoor||Indoor|
|Pan and Tilt||Pan only||Both||No|
|Smart Home Compatible||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Factors to consider when choosing an indoor security camera
- Field of view: You’ll want to find a camera that gives you a good look into your home. A 180 to 360-degree camera gives you more than just a glance into what’s happening in a narrow amount of space.
- Pan/tilt: Do you want the option to pan your camera or tilt to see in a certain area? It gives an added level of interactivity and allows you to see more of a room when you need to.
- Resolution: A camera with a higher resolution will allow you to see a clearer picture. It will also give authorities a better chance of identifying the perpetrators if you ever need it as evidence in a burglary.
- 2-way communication: Whether you want to communicate with your loved one in the house or a pet, 2-way communication in a camera can be important to some. You can hear what’s happening in your home while being able to relay information to a loved one if needed.
- Motion detection: Some cameras can alert you of motion in the home and send alerts based on whether someone enters your home.
- Cloud storage: If your camera has the ability to keep footage in the cloud, you’ll be able to look back into hours of stored video for evidence in case of a break-in or security issue.
- Live view: Simply having a security camera to record video is a thing of the past. Many users want to be able to see a live view of what is happening in their home and they want it to be viewable through a phone or computer application.
- Night vision: Night vision allows you to view a perpetrator despite low lighting conditions.
- Smart home integration: Some cameras have the ability to integrate with other technologies such as Alexa or Google Home. Having smart camera integration allows for extras like scheduling and motion detection.
10 Best Indoor Security Cameras
#1: Arlo Ultra
Our Pick for the best overall camera.
Arlo offers a solid combination of camera features, extras and an overall sleek package. This camera includes color night vision and uses an auto track function to move the camera to follow motion. There's also 2-way communication and superb smart home integration options.
Other features like a siren and motion activated spotlight give it an extra layer of security. You’ll also get 30-day cloud recording included with the camera along with Arlo’s premier home security plan for an entire year, which helps take the sting away from the hefty price tag.
- Tech features: 4K resolution, 12x digital zoom, auto track pan, night vision, rechargeable battery, 180-degree field of view
- Security plan: A premiere security plan from Arlo is included in your purchase of the camera for 1 year.
- UHD video quality - Zoom in to see sharp details with Arlo Ultra’s 4K & HDR advanced image quality technology
- 180 Degree diagonal field of view - See more with a wider angle lens that has auto image correction reducing the fish eye effect
- Enhanced night vision - See what’s lurking with color night vision allowing you to see video in color rather than traditional black and...
- Integrated spotlight - Light up the night using Arlo Ultra’s integrated spotlight
- Smart Home Security featuring superior video and audio quality
#2: The Wyze Cam Pan
Our pick for best money saver.
If you’re looking for a simple way to keep an eye on your home while you’re away without making a big investment, this wi-fi option is a good pick. Its auto track function follows activity happening through the room and it can pan, tilt and zoom. The Wyze Cam also has 2-way communication. It also employs AI technology which helps it identify when a person has entered the camera’s field of view.
The 1080p full HD video camera also includes night vision up to 30 feet, with a 360-degree horizontal range. You’ll be alerted via your smartphone if the camera detects motion and your video is stored for free for 14 days. For under $40, this small camera has some real value. The only thing that sticks out as a real negative for us is that, while the camera is Wi-Fi, it is not wireless — it operates with a power cord which means less flexibility in your placement options.
- Tech features: 1080p resolution, auto track pan, night vision, 360-degree field of view, 110-degree/sec rotation speed, 8x digital zoom
- Security plan: None required
- Pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) lets you control Wyze Cam Pan remotely using the Wyze app so you can see every angle of your room while you’re...
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p - 1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from anywhere in real time using your mobile...
- Motion/Sound Recording with Free Cloud Storage - Wyze Cam Pan can automatically record a 12-second video clip when motion or sound is...
- See in the dark - Night vision lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using 6 infrared (IR) LEDs. Note: IR does not work through...
- Voice Controlled? You got it! - Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your voice to see who’s at your front door,...
#3: The Canary All-in-One
Our choice for best smart home integration
This camera from Canary is small, but powerful and the smart home integration options are the real selling point here. It has environmental sensors that monitor air quality, temperature and humidity and plenty of other options for the homeowner who really wants to maximize the many ways you can use this camera to make your home smarter. The sharp 1080p picture and 147-degree view gives you a clear idea of what’s going on in your home, but we don’t love the limitations of its night vision.
- Tech features: 1080p resolution, 147-degree wide angle lens, night vision, 90 dB siren
- Security plan: Not required, but features like 2-way communication and video downloads require a security plan
- INDOOR HOME SECURITY CAMERA: 1080p HD wifi IP camera with high quality sound, 147° wide-angle lens and automatic night vision, intelligent...
- HOME SECURITY PRO EXCLUSIVE: 90 dB Burglar Alert Siren, HomeHealth Technology (monitors air quality, temperature and humidity)
- INCLUDES PREMIUM SERVICE (1 year FREE included): 24/7 watch live, two-way talk, 30-day video history, unlimited video downloads, full-length...
- EASY SETUP: No installation required. Simply plug it in, connect to wifi, and all systems go
- AWARD-WINNING DESIGN: Blends beautifully into your home and can hide in plain sight
#4: Amcrest 4mp Ultra HD Indoor
Our pick for the best hardwired option.
If you’re looking for a hardwired camera you can remotely control with a mobile app, Amcrest Pro HD is a solid choice. Clear HD video with an option to pan, tilt and zoom, this indoor security camera gives you peace of mind without costing you a bundle. This model also allows for 2-way communication and motion detection alerts if you choose. The night vision is pretty good, providing a clear picture up to 32 feet. It is also compatible with Alexa.
- Tech features: 1080p resolution, 360-degree pan, 90-degree tilt, night vision, 16x digital zoom
- Security plan: None
- 4MP DUAL-BAND H. 265 – 5ghz/2. 4ghz Dualband WiFi IP camera features immaculate 4MP (2688x1520P at 20fps | 3MP and 4-Megapixel) video with...
- SMARTER SECURITY – Receive motion alert notifications, review footage and engage in two-way communication via your smartphone with the...
- LOW LIGHT NIGHTVISION – Features an Omnivision OV4689 1/3” 4MP progressive low-light image sensor and built-in IR LEDs to achieve...
- SECURE CLOUD VIDEO BACKUP – The optional Amcrest Cloud remote video storage subscription service allows you automatically store your...
- SIMPLE. RELIABLE. SECURE. - This Amcrest Dualband wireless security camera features a secure SSL/HTTPS connection, wireless AES/WPA2...
#5: Amazon Cloud Cam
Our pick for the best camera for Alexa home.
This indoor security camera will be your top choice if you are an Alexa fan because it was specially designed to work in tandem with it. Get notified when the cloud cam detects motion through the Cloud Cam App. This camera is also smart enough to detect specific sounds like glass breaking, a baby crying, a dog barking or a smoke alarm siren and it’s also compatible with Amazon Key. The one drawback of this camera is that some of the more useful features can’t be unlocked though unless you buy a more expensive cloud cam subscription.
- Tech features: 1080p full HD, 120-degree field of view, 30 fps, 4x digital zoom
- Security plan: None required
- Stay connected 24/7 - Catch activities as they happen in 1080p Full HD. Watch, download, and share the last 24 hours of motion alert video...
- Notifications – Get notified when Cloud Cam sees activity. Check in anytime or watch motion clips on the Cloud Cam mobile app.
- See clearly in the dark - Night vision lets you detect what’s happening around the clock. Turn on/off night vision LEDs in the Cloud Cam...
- Two-way audio - Check in with the family or tell your dog to stop barking.
- 30-day free trial of Cloud Cam Plans – Get Smart Alerts and advanced features like person and audio detection, Zones, and see up to 30...
#6: Nest Cam IQ Indoor
Our pick for best video quality.
The Nest Cam IQ features something Google calls Supersight. The 4k sensor, close-up tracking and 1080p HD resolution gives you a crystal-clear view of your home and what’s going on inside. The invisible infrared LEDs also keep the picture crisp at night.
Although the price seems steep, the camera also has Google Assistant built in. Additionally, if you purchase Nest Aware, it can actually recognize faces and choose not to send alerts if you place the person on the safe list.
- Tech features: 1080p full HD, 6-core processor, 130-degree field of view,
- Security plan: None required
#7: Logitech Circle 2
Our pick for the best camera for tech lovers.
This indoor security camera is brimming with smart home options. Compatible with Alexa, HomeKit and Google, the Logitech also allows you to highlight up to 5 motion zones to keep an eye on with advanced analytics. The camera identifies and records activity, and even provides you with a 30-second time lapse of what happened in your house over the last 24 hours. This camera comes in both a wired and wire-free option that is so durable that they can be used outdoors, too.
- Tech features: 1080p HD, 24 hours free cloud storage, 180-degree adjustable field of view, night vision up to 15 ft, digital zoom, rechargeable battery, adjustable pan/tilt
- Security plan: Not required
- CIRCLE 2 WIRED is an easy to install, Wi-Fi connected home security camera that records when motion is detected and stores the footage in...
- DON’T JUST TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT, we’re Wirecutter's pick: “Best Wi-Fi camera for daily use”, Gizmodo said we’re “The Best...
- FULL HD WIDE-ANGLE VIDEO WITH NIGHT VISION lets you capture the really big picture with 180-degree wide-angle lens, full 1080p HD video day...
- FREE 24-HOUR SECURE CLOUD STORAGE - Stores motion based videos up to 24-hours in your own private cloud for free, secured using bank level...
- FREE SMART ALERTS WITH SNAPSHOTS - Get mobile app notifications with a thumbnail image of the motion detected, to "see" what's happening at...
#8: Blink XT2
Our pick for best battery life.
This indoor security camera takes the trophy for best battery life, with 2-years on AA lithium batteries. The Blink camera offers two-way talk, temperature sensor, live view and customizable motion detection. It records clear pictures both day and night and it’s durable enough to use inside and outdoors. You can also set up scheduled arming and disarming of your Blink system. Setup is easy, and this option also works with Alexa. You’ll also get free cloud storage up to a year with no monthly fees or contracts.
- Tech features: 1080p HD, free cloud storage, night vision, 110-degree diagonal view
- Security plan: Not required
- Extended battery life – 2 year battery life on two AA lithium batteries with a combination of two-way talk, live view, and motion...
- 2-way audio – Talk to visitors through the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Customizable motion detection – Use activity zones to choose where motion is detected so you receive the alerts that matter.
- Free cloud storage – Keep hundreds of clips stored up to a year with no monthly fees or service contract required.
- Works with Alexa – View live streams, motion clips, arm and disarm your system, and set up smart reorders for batteries through select...
#9: YI Smart Dome Camera X:
Our pick for best cloud storage.
Free 7-day cloud storage isn’t the only perk of the YI Smart Dome Camera X. Its AI-powered technology can tell the difference between a human and an object, and also has sound detection alerts like a baby crying or dog barking. You can also create time lapses. The 340-degree rotation and 95-degree tilt capabilities let you see the lay of the land, while the camera’s autocruise mode will scan the room wherever you program it. It has night vision capability and you can get SD storage or upgrade your cloud storage plan if you need more than the 7 days you’ll get for free. Plus, each camera comes with lifetime technical support.
- Tech features: 1080p HD 20 fps, 4x zoom, 7 days free cloud storage, night vision, 360-degree coverage
- Security plan: Not required
- IMPORTANT ALERTS ONLY + STAY CONNECTED: Differentiates humans and pets from moving objects, resulting in more relevant alerts for you. Its...
- LET THE LENS DISAPPEAR + FUN TIME-LAPSE: The YI Dome Camera X’s unique eyelid design lets the lens disappear in its casing when turned off...
- COVER EVERY CORNER: Most of our customers have this camera set up and running in five minutes or less. 340° degree rotation and 95° degree...
- BEST IN CLASS IMAGE QUALITY & NIGHT VISION: State-of-the-art Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) capabilities won’t let you down in case of sudden...
- Dual Storage Options for Increased Security: Store your data and recordings: locally with an extra SD card (not included) or in the cloud....
#10: Vivint Ping
Our pick for the best monitored option.
Sometimes having a high-quality camera you can monitor yourself isn’t enough. If you’re looking for a security system to help keep an eye on your home, the Vivint Ping camera is a solid option. It allows you to view a live stream and has 2-way communication options. Ping also has motion detection and a one touch callout that allows your loved ones to contact you at the press of a button. The wide-angle lens and 24 x 7 playback records a full month of indoor camera footage.
- Tech features: 1080p HD 20 fps, 4x zoom, 7 days free cloud storage, night vision, 140-degree coverage
- Security plan: You get free Premiere monitoring for 1 year, but don’t need to renew after the year is up if you don’t want to.
So, which indoor home security camera is the best?
As with most home security equipment, finding the best indoor security camera for your home depends entirely on your needs, your budget and what you want out of a camera. If you are more interested in using the camera as a pet monitor or just to keep an eye on your home while you’re at work, finding a camera with a clear picture and 2-way communication should be at the top of your list.
If you’re looking for an option that will protect your home at night or while you’re away, choosing one with automation options, advanced alerts and stellar night vision is going to be more important. You really can’t go wrong with any of the cameras on this list, so narrow down what matters to you, along with how much you’re looking to spend and go from there.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).