Arlo Technologies was founded in 2014. It was originally a division of Netgear, before separating from them in 2018. Arlo is headquartered in San Jose, California, and produces an array of wireless home-security cameras, including the Arlo Go. (We also have an overview of all the Arlo cameras.)
The Arlo Go can be used indoors, but it’s designed to withstand the elements so it can be used outdoors as well. It’s a good option for people who prefer to install and monitor their cameras themselves, as there are no professional options for either through the company. It does require a cellular data plan, as it operates over LTE rather than Wi-Fi. That makes it a particularly good choice for those who don’t have Wi-Fi or are frequently in areas in which it’s unavailable.
- Portable The Arlo Go has no wires, so it’s easy to move about from place to place. It’s also made to work indoors or out, so you have the flexibility to move it between the two as you wish.
- No Contract Arlo doesn’t offer professional monitoring, so there’s no lengthy contract to sign. It’s a great option for those who prefer to DIY their home security.
- Doesn’t Require Wi-Fi Arlo Go works over LTE, so you don’t have to have a Wi-Fi connection for it to work. That’s good news for people who live in or frequently travel to rural areas where Wi-Fi connections can be spotty. Also, there’s no worry about what to do when the Wi-Fi goes out.
- Expensive The Arlo Go is pretty pricey as far as cameras go. One camera alone costs $400 or more. If you want to outfit your home with multiple cameras, the cost can add up quickly, plus you have to pay for a monthly cellular plan.
- Requires mobile plan You must sign up for a cellular data plan in order to monitor the Arlo Go since it runs on LTE. Prices vary depending on the carrier you select, but that’s an ongoing cost you’ll have to incur. Arlo Go works with AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular and T-Mobile.
Arlo Go Features
App Arlo Go uses the same app as all Arlo cameras. It allows you to view and record video, enable two-way audio and adjust the camera’s settings from your mobile device.
Two-way talk With a built-in speaker and microphone, you can talk to and hear whoever is in range of the camera. It’s a great way to keep in touch with loved ones when you’re away, and if you happen to see an intruder, you may be able to scare them away through your camera.
Motion detection A motion sensor provides alerts that someone or something is moving the area. Its wide-angle lens covers a good amount of area too.
Night vision When the lights dim, that doesn’t mean your view has to go dark. Arlo Go is equipped with night vision technology, which turns on automatically as darkness sets in so you can see clearly what’s happening around the clock.
Free cloud storage Want to review what’s been happening while you’re away? Arlo Go stores seven days’ worth of motion- and sound-activated recordings. It also has a built-in SD card slot, so you can store footage for longer if you wish.
Smart home integration If you want to connect your camera to your smart home devices, you’re in luck. Arlo Go works with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, Google Assistant and Stringify.
Weather-resistant Arlo Go can be used indoors or out as it’s built tough enough to withstand water, cold and heat.
Ease of use There are no wires to mess with and no cords to consider. Arlo Go is simple to set up, and it can be placed on any flat surface or mounted to a wall.
Security plan offerings
Basic Plan Arlo’s basic plan offers seven days of motion- and sound-activated activity so you can see a week’s worth of what’s happening. There is no charge for this plan.
Premier Plan The premier plan provides 30 days’ worth of footage in 2K video resolution. It also includes advanced features like package detection and advanced object detection as well as intelligent alerts and the ability to set cloud activity zones so you only receive alerts when there’s activity detected in certain areas. The cost is $2.99/month for one camera or $9.99/month for up to five cameras. If you have more than five cameras, each one thereafter is offered at a 50% discount.
Elite Plan Arlo’s elite plan offers all the same features as the premier plan, but the video resolution is double—up to 4K. It runs $4.99/month for one camera and $14.99/month for up to five cameras. If you have more than five cameras, each one thereafter is offered at a 50 percent discount.
The Arlo Go comes with the following equipment:
- 1 camera
- 1 rechargeable battery
- 1 power cable
- 1 SIM card
- 1 outdoor security mount
- 3 mounting screws
- 1 guide
- 1 window sticker
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- 100% Wire-free - Lets you discreetly place cameras indoors or outdoors
- Untethered mobile security- Supports 3G and 4G-LTE wireless connections
- Night Vision- Enhanced night vision capability lets you see clearly even in the dark
- Weather-resistant - Place them anywhere-indoors or out.Night vision:850 nm LEDs,illuminates upto 25 ft
The final Nerd Word on Arlo Go
If you’re looking for a wireless indoor or outdoor home security camera, Arlo Go is worth considering. It’s simple to use, dependable and portable. It’s a particularly good option for those in rural areas since it runs on LTE rather than Wi-Fi, but that means you have to have a cellular data plan with one of the mobile providers that works with Arlo Go.
While Arlo Go is more expensive than many other home security cameras, it may be worth it for those who like the flexibility and access it provides.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.