Best Nanny Cams of 2023
Nanny cams have forever changed the parenting game. Gone are the days when you could only wonder what went on when you left your kids with a babysitter. Now, with a little (or a lot) of technology, you can see just what happens when you’re not there to see it for yourself.
There are more choices than ever when it comes to nanny cams these days. These video surveillance cameras offer options and features aplenty to help parents check in on their loved ones and see, hear and record what happens in their absence. When used properly, they can provide a sense of security and connection for parents who are frequently away from home.
Our Top 5 Favorite Nanny Cams
|WYZE CAM||NEST CAMERA||YI DOME CAMERA||AMCREST PROHD||TEND INDOOR 2|
|Resolution||1080p HD||1080p||1080p HD||1080p||1080p|
|Field of View||110 degrees||130 degrees||112 degrees||90 degrees||125 degrees|
|Nightvision||Up to 30 feet||Up to 20 feet||up to 98 feet||Up to 32 feet||Up to 20 feet|
|Storage||14-day cloud||Cloud storage||Cloud and onboard||Cloud and onboard||Cloud storage|
1. The Wyze Cam 1080p HD
For an affordable, easy-to-use nanny cam, this one from Wyze is hard to beat. It livestreams video straight to your phone, day or night and it stores up to 14 days’ worth of footage. Users get an alert on their phone when motion or sound is detected in the camera’s area, and it starts recording. Footage can be viewed in real-time or via playback, and it features two-way audio capability. Thousands of happy customers say it’s a dependable camera and an excellent value for the price. Read more in our Wyze cam review.
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p -1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from anywhere in real time using your mobile...
- Motion/Sound Recording with Free Cloud Storage - Wyze Cam can automatically record a 12-second video clip when motion or sound is detected...
- See in the dark - Night vision lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using 4 infrared (IR) LEDs. Note: IR does not work through...
- Voice Controlled? You got it! - Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your voice to see who’s at your front door,...
- Share with those who care - One Wyze Cam can be shared with multiple family members so everyone can have access to its live stream and video...
2. The Nest Security Camera
This camera from Nest gets top marks for its dependability, ease of use and reliability. While it’s the most expensive camera on our list, customers say it’s worth it for all the functionality it provides, including 24/7 recording, night vision and two-way audio capability. It will store up to 30 days of footage if you have a subscription (starting at $5/month for five days’ worth of storage), but, of course, that subscription also adds to the price.
- 24/7 live stream video in full 1080p HD over Wi-Fi. Check in from anywhere at anytime. Send clips to family or friends in 1920x1080...
- Night vision featuring 8 high-power infrared LEDs provide light for clear video in the darkest conditions.
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know as soon as your camera spots activity. Take action or save the event for sharing later. 3-hour...
- Industry-leading security means that your video feed and information is well protected. Enable two-factor authentication and take your...
- Free trial of Nest Aware for 30-days. Experience 10-day video history intelligent alerts and activity zones. Keep the service starting at $6...
3. The YI Dome Camera
This camera from YI Dome offers lots of functionality for a moderate price. A 112-degree wide angle lens plus pan, tilt and zoom features provide clear footage of entire areas. Unlimited cloud storage of your footage is available, but only with a subscription plan. In addition to two-way audio capability it also features motion tracking that will follow a moving object around an area while recording.
- 1080p High-definition, wide-angle advanced glass lens combined with 345° horizontal & 115° vertical rotation range create a complete 360°...
- Responsive and advanced microphone with a built-in anti-noise filter for a clear 2-way Audio experience. Intercom Mode: one party to talk...
- Receive real-time Activity Alerts while you're out. 10-sec motion tracking records and centers the moving object. Bookmark your favorite...
- YI Dome integrates with your YI Home family in one simple interface. User-friendly and intuitive app to customize your settings: activity...
- Supports YI Cloud to avoid the risk of losing footage from a SD card, ensure all your videos are safe and protected. We provide the most...
4. The Amcrest ProHD
Thousands of online customers sing the praises of this nanny cam for its affordability, dependability and features. Some say the setup can be cumbersome and report issues with the app. Most, however, say the images are sharp, day and night, and it’s an excellent, dependable camera for the price. Check out our full review of the Amcrest ProHD for more.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE, REAL-TIME, TRUE HD – Experience magnificent full-HD 1080P video at 30fps with enhanced low light capability utilizing...
- SMARTER SECURITY – Receive motion alert notifications, review footage and engage in two-way communication via your smartphone with the...
- DAY OR NIGHT, QUALITY ASSURED – Featuring a Exmor 1/2.9” 2.07MP image sensor and built-in IR LEDs this WiFi camera achieves industry...
- SECURE CLOUD VIDEO BACKUP – The optional Amcrest Cloud remote video storage subscription service allows you automatically store your...
- SIMPLE. RELIABLE. SECURE. - This Amcrest 2.4ghz wireless camera is UL Listed for safety and features a secure SSL/HTTPS connection, wireless...
5. The Tend Indoor 2
This nanny cam from Tend is another solid, moderately priced option. It features facial recognition technology that can allow you to check on certain members of your household or receive alerts when an unfamiliar face is detected. It comes with free seven-day cloud storage, and it also features two-way audio capabilities. Most customers report that it’s reliable and provides high-quality images. Check out our full review of the Tend Indoor 2 for more.
What to consider before you buy a nanny cam
Hidden vs. in-view nanny cams
Another factor to consider when selecting a nanny cam is where you want to place it. Some are made so they can be easily hidden, while others are made to be placed in plain view. While it may be tempting to hide one so you can catch someone in the act, there are some risks in doing so.
For starters, if someone knows they’re being watched, the chances of them doing anything inappropriate are minimized, and the most important thing is your child’s safety. Also, if your caregiver finds out you’re monitoring them without their knowledge, it can also break a sense of trust and you could end up losing a well-loved and trusted caregiver. In most cases, being up front about the fact that you have a camera is the best way to go.
Legal issues with nanny cams
There are also some legal issues you need to consider when it comes to using hidden nanny cams. While you can videotape people in your home in most areas without telling them, laws regarding the use of audio recording vary by state. Also, it’s generally illegal to videotape someone in a room in which they should expect privacy, such as in a bathroom or bedroom, without their knowledge.
How to keep your nanny cam protected
As safe as a nanny cam may make you feel, it comes with potential dangers too. You’ve probably seen creepy news stories of hackers spying on and even talking to children through nanny cams. To keep them from invading yours, you should take the following steps:
- Register your camera with the company from whom you purchased it.
- That way if there are any issues with vulnerabilities in the device's technology, you’ll be notified.
- Make sure you have a strong password.
- Don’t just use the preset password that comes with the camera or choose an easy-peasy one anyone could guess. Use one with mix of numbers and symbols that would be difficult to hack. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recommends choosing one that’s 12 characters long for home users.
- Encrypt your Wi-Fi
- Encrypting your home’s Wi-Fi scrambles your information into a code so hackers can’t access it. The FTC offers these tips on how to secure your wireless network.
The bottom line on nanny cams
Most child care providers are loving and nurturing, but, unfortunately, that’s not always the case. No matter how many references you check or how lovely someone seems, you never know how they'll act when you’re not there… unless, of course, you have a nanny cam that gives you that insight. If you have decided that you want to purchase one for your home, any of our top 5 nanny cams would be a great choice. Figure out which features matter the most to you and narrow down the choices to find the right cam for your home.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Julie Ryan Evans
Julie Ryan Evans is a writer and editor who has worked with a host of diverse companies including Microsoft, USA Today, Realtor.com, Brit + Co, CafeMom and SheKnows, among others. She has a master’s degree in nonfiction writing from The Johns Hopkins University and regularly covers topics including health and wellness, parenting, technology, finance, real estate and pop culture. While she currently calls the Orlando area home, she has lived everywhere from Hawaii to Austin, Boston and beyond.