Amcrest ProHD Review
If you're looking for an indoor, wireless home security camera, you have plenty of choices. There are more models than ever on the market today, which is great. Narrowing down which one is the right one for your needs, however, can be a bit overwhelming, so we’re taking a deeper look at one of the top indoor cameras, the wireless Amcrest ProHD.
Founded in 2013, Amcrest doesn’t specialize in home security cameras alone. While the company offers some solid options in this space, it also sells everything from binoculars and drones to walkie talkies. Its headquarters is in Houston.
Amcrest’s ProHD camera will check many boxes for those in the market for an entry-level, indoor security camera. It’s affordable and has some nice advanced features that others in its price range don’t, such as pan and tilt capabilities and advanced zone detection. On the flip side, it doesn’t come with any free cloud storage, and it doesn’t connect with other smart home products beyond Alexa, so if those things are important to you, this camera may not meet your needs.
This camera is best for those who want an affordably priced camera with a few extra bells and whistles. It’s also only for those who are comfortable setting up and monitoring the camera themselves, as Amcrest doesn’t offer installation or professional monitoring.
This camera features true HD 1080P video for clear, crisp images, and it’s equipped with night vision technology as well, so you can see what’s going on in any light.
While some cameras come with limited free cloud storage, this camera requires you to pay for a subscription storage plan for anything other than live viewing. Subscription plans start at $6 per month.
Amcrest ProHD Features
Here are some of the features Amcrest Pro HD features that stood out.
- Two-way talk: With a speaker and a microphone, this camera lets you communicate with those within earshot of the camera.
- Advanced zone detection: Creating various zones allows you to customize what types of events you want to be altered to in various locations. You can adjust the sensitivity of the settings by zone too, so you don’t get unnecessary notifications.
- Night vision: Infrared technology lets you see what’s happening in your home during day or at night. And with a night vision range of up to 32 feet, it provides an ample view.
- Pan and tilt capabilities: This is no stagnant camera. It provides 360-degree pan and 90-degree tilt capabilities, so you can scan a room completely to check on things when you’re away.
- Wide-view lens: Even without panning or tilting, the camera’s 90-degree viewing angle provides a nice, wide view.
- User-friendly: Setting up this camera is simple, and it’s designed to be plug-and-play. You turn it on, download the app and scan a QR code. After that, you’ll just adjust a few settings, and it’s ready to go. That said, things might get a little tricky, as users report frustration with configuring some of the settings and say the app isn’t as intuitive as it could be.
- Storage options: The only free option for viewing the footage captured by this camera is live viewing. To record what’s happening and view it later, you’ll need to subscribe to one of Amcrest’s storage plans (7-day, 15-day and 30-day), which start at $6. You also have the options to purchase a MicroSD card to capture footage to view at your convenience. Either way, you’re going to have to spend some money to view recorded footage.
- Equipment: The wireless camera comes with a power support cord, an instructional manual, a one-year warranty and a guarantee for lifetime support.
The Amcrest ProHD was named one of our picks for the best nanny cams
Bottom Line on the Amcrest ProHD Camera
For a basic, plug-and-play wireless camera, Amcrest ProHD is a solid option. It comes with some nice extra features like pan and tilt capabilities and advanced zone detection that others in its price range don’t. On the downside, there’s no free cloud storage, and it doesn’t connect with other smart home products, which may rule it out for some. Users also must be willing to monitor this camera themselves, as Amcrest doesn’t provide any professional security monitoring options.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE, REAL-TIME, TRUE HD – Experience magnificent full-HD 1080P video at 30fps with enhanced low light capability utilizing...
- SMARTER SECURITY – Receive motion alert notifications, review footage and engage in two-way communication via your smartphone with the...
- DAY OR NIGHT, QUALITY ASSURED – Featuring a Exmor 1/2.9” 2.07MP image sensor and built-in IR LEDs this WiFi camera achieves industry...
- SECURE CLOUD VIDEO BACKUP – The optional Amcrest Cloud remote video storage subscription service allows you automatically store your...
- SIMPLE. RELIABLE. SECURE. - This Amcrest 2.4ghz wireless camera is UL Listed for safety and features a secure SSL/HTTPS connection, wireless...
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Julie Ryan Evans
Julie Ryan Evans is a writer and editor who has worked with a host of diverse companies including Microsoft, USA Today, Realtor.com, Brit + Co, CafeMom and SheKnows, among others. She has a master’s degree in nonfiction writing from The Johns Hopkins University and regularly covers topics including health and wellness, parenting, technology, finance, real estate and pop culture. While she currently calls the Orlando area home, she has lived everywhere from Hawaii to Austin, Boston and beyond.