Wyze Cam Review
Wyze is a relatively new company founded by coworkers who met at Amazon. Their goal is to create high quality products at a fraction of the cost of their competitors. Wyze does this by selling the majority of its products on its own website, cutting out what they call the “channel fat.” The goal is to continue to expand the company’s offerings to provide an array of DIY home security products.
The company has succeeded at its mission so far, providing cameras with features like motion tracking, 360-degree panning, 2-way communication and continuous recording for under $30. In fact, the Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan stand up to other cameras that cost three times as much.
These cameras are perfect for anyone looking to up their security game without investing a huge chunk of cash.
Although Wyze is a smaller company with only two camera options, customers do get a good deal for their money. Wyze offers incredibly affordable cameras starting at $19.99 and they are packed with features you normally only see in more expensive models. The company has also expanded offerings to allow for even more home automation.
In This Review
- Hardware: 4 out of 5: Although Wyze only offers a few cameras, they are versatile and easy to set up. The Wyze Cam’s 3-axis design allows for users to point the Wyze cam in any direction, while the Wyze Cam Pan can scan the room on its own or when you control it through the app. Hardware installs easily with the provided magnetic base. It’s not the most sleek design we’ve ever seen, but you have to remember these cameras start at just $19.99.
- Customer service: 4 out of 5: Wyze is still a small company without professional monitoring, so it’s no surprise that there is no 24/7 customer support. The support team is available Monday through Saturday from 8am-4pm PT either by phone, chat or email. Our Security Nerd found them to be very responsive to product questions during business hours, but email took a little longer. It’s also worth noting Wyze has a pretty robust user forum where you can get a lot of questions answered without having to contact Wyze. The forum could help on a Sunday when you can’t get a hold of customer service.
- Pricing: 5 out of 5: It’s incredible how many features are packed into these inexpensive cameras. There may not be a better deal when it comes to DIY home security cameras.
- Mobile app: 3 out of 5: The Wyze Cam app allows users to see what’s happening at home in real time, but this does seem like an area Wyze needs to improve upon. The app is rated a 3.5 in both app stores, with customers complaining about trouble connecting cameras and the app draining their phone battery too quickly.
- Smart home capabilities: 3.5 out of 5: Wyze may not have as many options as other security companies, but its list of home automation options is growing. Wyze is now selling motion sensors, smart plugs and smart lights. The system is also compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT.
Sometimes you may have trouble finding affordable cameras packed with features like motion detection, 2-way communication and smart home compatibility options. The Wyze cam models have all that and more, all for under $40.
The Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan must be plugged into a power source, which could limit where you place it.
Wyze Cam Features
Here are some of the features Wyze offers that stood out to our SecurityNerd.
- HD video: These cameras provide crisp, 1080p HD video to give you a clear look at exactly what’s happening in your home.
- Night vision: Night vision is an important feature that Wyze Cam can deliver. You’ll be able to see with clarity even if it’s dark in your home.
- Two-way communication: There are multiple ways to use the 2-way talk feature with the Wyze cameras.. If you need to tell your dog to stop barking, talk to your significant other at home, or deter a thief, you’ll have the option with each camera.
- Sound and motion detection: Wyze will automatically start recording a 12-second video clip in the event of sound or motion detection.
- Zoom, pan and tilt options: There are many cameras on the market that give you a clear HD picture, but sometimes the cameras don’t allow users to move the camera to see other angles. Through the Wyze Cam app, you can zoom, pan and tilt to see anywhere in your home using the Wyze Cam Pan model.
- Motion tracking: This is a feature you generally only see in pricey home security cameras. The Wyze Cam Pan will automatically track the object in motion so you’ll be able to see exactly what happened as the camera follows along.
- Smart home integration: Wyze is compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, along with IFTTT technology. The company also started offering other smart home products at bargain prices, like smart plugs, lights and motion sensors.
- Continuous recording option: You aren’t limited to the 12-second clips the cameras automatically record when it detects motion or sound. You can go with a continuous recording option if you purchase an SD card.
- Time lapse: Wyze gives users the option of setting up a time lapse, so you can see what went down at home without scrolling through hours of video. If for no other reason, you can see what your dog was up to while you were at work.
Wyze Cam Installation
Wyze cameras are easy to install and you won’t have to worry about doing any drilling. Users simply connect the camera to a power outlet and wait 20 seconds. Then, you hold the setup button and you’ll receive voice prompts that walk you through the rest of setup. The user forum on Wyze also has some really informative articles if you run into any issues.
Wyze Cam Pricing
No matter what you buy from Wyze, you’ll definitely get it at a good price. Here are the prices for Wyze’s cameras.
Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam v2: Wyze’s original camera was priced at just $19.99, and when the company released Wyze Cam v2, it kept the price similar and added a few new features. Wyze customer service representatives say you can no longer purchase the original Wyze Cam directly from the company.
Wyze Cam Pan: The biggest difference between the two camera models is the pan, tilt and tracking functions on this camera. The Wyze Cam pan adds a room scan feature you can customize as well, all for only ~$15 more than the original camera.
- Pan, tilt, and zoom (PTZ) lets you control Wyze Cam Pan remotely using the Wyze app so you can see every angle of your room while you’re...
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p - 1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from anywhere in real time using your mobile...
- Motion/Sound Recording - Wyze Cam Pan can automatically record a 12-second video clip when motion or sound is detected. Mobile push...
- See in the dark - Night vision lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using 6 infrared (IR) LEDs. Note: IR does not work through...
- Voice Controlled? You got it! - Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your voice to see who’s at your front door,...
Home Automation Options
Wyze cameras work with Alexa and Google Assistant. You can also create your own rules with IFTTT technology. Below are some new home automation options manufactured and sold by Wyze to use exclusively with its cameras.
Wyze Sense: These small motion and contact sensors allow you to receive notifications for anything from your child opening up a cabinet to someone opening a door. A starter kit including a sensor bridge, two contact sensors and one motion sensor starts at $19.99. Not only can you be notified via the Wyze Cam app, you can also set your cameras to record if the sensors are tripped.
- mounting type: Wall Mount
- Operating Systems - Supports iOS 9.0 and Android 5.0 or later. Connectivity Requirements - Upload speed 1.0 Mbps for SD and 1.5 Mbps for HD
- It wirelessly connects to the internet via Wi-Fi. But still need to be plugged in to the wall for power
- You don’t have to get a notification every time something Opens or closes. Set Wyze sense to only send you a notification when something...
Wyze Bulb: These smart bulbs allow you to control lights with your voice and from your smartphone. You can automate your lights, and even set it to vacation mode to make it look like you’re home as the lights turn on and off on a varying schedule.
- Set any mood with Wyze Bulb’s tunable white color temperature. Use warm white (2700k) to relax in the evening and daylight (6500k) to wake...
- 9. 5-watt LED bulb (60-watt equivalent) produces up to 800 lumens and can be dimmed using voice control or the Wyze App (do not use with...
- No Hub Required. Wyze Bulb connects directly to your 2. 4GHz WiFi network (does not support 5GHz Wi-Fi) and the free Wyze app for a quick...
- Automate your lights with Wyze Sense (sold separately): Wyze Sense’s contact and motion sensors allow you to control your lights based on...
- Make it look like someone’s home: Vacation mode turns lights on/off on a variable schedule while you’re away.
Wyze Plug: Wyze has created its own Wi-fi smart plugs, and opened up purchase to a select group of users they call Early Backers before releasing it to the public. The plugs launched in fall 2019, and allow customers to set timers for plugs to turn on and off, along with grouping devices that will allow you to turn everything on and off in a room at once.
- Command your home with your voice: when your hands are full or you just don’t want to move, use your voice to turn things on and off by...
- Control your home from anywhere: check the status of all of your Wyze plugs and turn them on or off remotely so you can avoid high energy...
- On when you need it, off when you don’t: Wake Up to the smell of fresh brewed Coffee in the morning with scheduling in the Wyze app....
- Manage an entire room with grouping: grouping in the Wyze app lets you connect multiple Wyze plugs to one room so you can turn everything on...
- Vacation mode makes it look like someone’s home: vacation mode can turn your stuff on and off at random making it appear you’re home so...
Security Plans & System
Wyze does not offer professional monitoring for your home.
Wyze Cam: The Bottom Line
Wyze is certainly disrupting the DIY home security industry, offering advanced features at a fraction of the cost of most home security cameras. Don’t let the price fool you. These are no budget cameras as they offer many of the features you would find in much pricier cameras.
Wyze is perfect for someone who wants to avoid traditional home security services with professional installation, high price tags, and contracts. If you are looking to keep an eye on what’s going on in your home while building out automation options, Wyze is a solid and affordable choice.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).