Everyone should take their home security seriously, and security cameras are one of the most crucial parts of a security system. They provide significant deterrence and can help you in the aftermath of a crime.
Zmodo is a Chinese provider best known for affordable equipment. Wyze was started in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees. Affordability is a big draw with these providers, but let's see what else they offer.
Wyze vs Zmodo: What do they have in common?
- Flexibility: You won't be forced to take out a long-term contract with either company; you can buy equipment on a flexible basis.
- Voice control: You can control your security cameras with voice commands thanks to compatibility with Amazon Alexa.
- Warranty: You'll have a long-term warranty with each provider; Wyze and Zmodo offer a one-year contract.
- Low price: You can purchase cameras for less than $30.
- Mobile app: You can manage your home security system via a mobile app; you can watch a live feed and receive notifications and motion alerts. The apps are available on Android and iPhone.
- DIY installation: You'll need to be comfortable installing your system; there's no professional installation service.
- Free storage options: There are free cloud storage options offered by Zmodo and Wyze cameras.
- Local storage: You can store recordings on MicroSD cards.
- Video quality: 1080p HD resolution cameras are offered by Wyze and Zmodo.
- Smart home integration: Zmodo and Wyze have If This Then That (IFTTT) compatibility.
Wyze vs Zmodo: What are the differences?
- Two-way audio: Zmodo doesn't offer two-way audio; Wyze does.
- Professional monitoring: Wyze offers professional monitoring for $5 monthly; Zmodo doesn't.
- Pre-recorded messages: While they don't offer two-way talk, Zmodo does offer a pre-recorded message to greet people. It's a useful feature for a video doorbell.
- Customizable motion detection zones: Wyze has customizable motion detection zones; Zmodo doesn't offer this.
- NVR Systems: Zmodo offers NVR systems; Wyze doesn't.
Zmodo: What you need to know
Zmodo is a China-based security company providing doorbell cameras, Wi-Fi extenders, and more. Let's break down what Zmodo has to offer.
Irrespective of your chosen camera system, it's up to you to install it. Wireless cameras are the easiest and take only a few minutes. Wired installs, which come with an NVR (network video recorder) unit may be more complex. If you require assistance, you'll need your own tradesperson as professional installation isn't available.
Zmodo offers an impressive array of cameras, including:
- Video doorbell cameras
- Wireless security cameras
- Wired indoor cameras
- Outdoor NVR camera setups
Thanks to these offerings, you can create a complete smart home system, Zmodo has recently expanded its range to include HD 1080p cameras, but it offers a range of 720p cameras. They're not the best, but they're reasonable for the price.
Zmodo does well in this category, providing a range of dedicated smart home equipment, including smart thermostats and Wi-Fi extenders. Security features can be monitored via Zmodo's app, and most Zmodo cameras offer compatibility with IFTTT equipment, including Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Equipment costs: Zmodo cameras start at less than $30.
- Monthly fees: You can sign up for an optional subscription, including extra video storage for $4.99 monthly or $9.99 monthly. You can earn a discount by paying annually.
- DIY installation: Since your installation is DIY, there are no activation or installation fees.
- A la carte options: Zmodo equipment can be bought flexibly on an a la carte basis.
- Pricing: You won't find many providers offering cameras below $30.
- Night vision: Some Zmodo cameras offer color night vision.
- Pre-recorded messages: You can pre-record a message to be played for visitors when you're not home - few cameras offer this.
- Mobile app: Some of the reviews on the mobile app aren't as good.
- Professional monitoring: Zmodo doesn't offer professional monitoring; you'll need to be comfortable with self-monitoring.
- Two-way audio: There's no two-way talk facility with Zmodo, which seems like a very simple area to overlook.
- Wi-Fi network: You need excellent Wi-Fi for your wireless camera setup; many customers complain that their usual Wi-Fi connection complicates their setup.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze, launched in 2017, provides cheap and reliable home security equipment. Wyze cameras start at $20 and offer advanced features, including customizable motion zones, person detection, and more. Let's take an in-depth look at what Wyze has to offer.
Wyze offers straightforward installation - you won't need professional installation. You connect your new camera to a power outlet, press and hold the setup button, then follow the prompts. Most setups are complete in around 30 minutes.
Wyze offers a variety of cameras, including indoor cameras and video doorbells. Most Wyze cameras have HD 1080p resolution with crisp image quality. But they don't stop there; Wyze offers lots of equipment, including:
- Automatic vacuums
- Garage door controls
- Smart light bulbs
- Smart door locks
- Gun cabinets
- Smart thermostats
You can save money by purchasing a home security bundle, such as the basic Wyze home monitoring kit, which costs just $60 and includes a keypad, three entry sensors, and a base station. You can buy a camera for an additional $20, or you can explore their more expensive packages.
Wyze cameras have 720p or 1080p HD resolution; the Wyze Cam v3 is weather-resistant and can be used indoors or outdoors, though many of Wyze's cameras are indoor only. Wyze products are reliable and feature-packed for a low price.
Wyze offers a decent selection of smart home equipment. The Wyze app is available on iOS and Android and helps you integrate your system with Z-wave equipment, including Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. You can also purchase smart appliances, such as vacuums and smart lights, thermostats, etc., from Wyze.
- Monthly fees: Professional monitoring has launched, in partnership with Noonlight, for just $5 per month.
- Equipment: Wyze is incredibly reasonable - you can buy cameras for just $20, and complete security bundles start at under $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cameras are easy on your budget and feature-packed.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze supports you in monitoring your home security, free cloud storage is offered, and you can live stream your system from within the app.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize your motion sensors and sensitivity. You can receive motion-activated notifications.
- Field of view: Most Wyze cameras have a 130-degree field of view.
- Mobile app: The mobile app can be buggy, which has an impact on reviews.
- Environment sensors: Wyze doesn't offer environment sensors.
Wyze or Zmodo?
Wyze and Zmodo offer similar surveillance cameras. You can choose from wired and wire-free cameras and watch your security system in real-time via a handy app.
Home security cameras start from around $20, and you can purchase a fully comprehensive camera system for less than $150. Zmodo offers more outdoor security cameras with additional features such as weatherproofing and pre-recorded messages.
Wyze offers battery-powered cameras and greater smart home automation. These two camera companies are very similar, and the decision rests upon whether you want indoor or outdoor cameras.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.