One of the most significant parts of a security system is your surveillance cameras. Home security cameras are an excellent deterrent and help you monitor everything happening around your home. There are many security providers offering cameras, including Wyze and Nest.
Wyze was launched in 2017 by two ex-Amazon employees; Wyze offers the cheapest security cameras on the market. They also provide various smart home options.
Nest was launched in 2010 with the creation of the Nest Learning Thermostat. Soon after, they'd branch into smart home security, including security cameras. Let's take a look at what they can do for you.
Nest vs Wyze: What do they have in common?
- DIY installation: You'll need to be a confident DIY enthusiast, as professional installation isn't available.
- Field of view: Wyze and Nest offer similar fields of view.
- Professional monitoring: Nest and Wyze offer professional monitoring via third parties. Brinks and Noonlight, respectively.
- Flexibility: You won't need a long-term contract to purchase services from Wyze or Nest.
- Two-way audio: Wyze and Nest offer two-way talk functionalities.
- Local storage: Using a MicroSD card, you can store footage locally.
- Video doorbell: You can purchase a doorbell camera from both providers.
- Video quality: Wyze and Nest cams have the same resolution, with 1080p video.
- Mobile app: You can monitor your system via a mobile app, including a live feed. Nest and Wyze apps are available on iOS and Android.
- Customizable motion detection: You can customize your activity zones.
Nest vs Wyze: What are the differences?
- Pricing: Wyze is much cheaper than Nest. A basic alarm package with a camera will cost $600 with Nest, but Wyze charges less than $30 for a camera. You can purchase a basic security kit for $60.
- Hardware quality: Nest hardware is high-quality and sturdy, but Wyze's hardware has received complaints for being flimsy.
- Weatherproof cameras: Nest offers outdoor security cameras, but Wyze focuses on indoor security cameras. Nest has more availability of weather-resistant cameras.
- Free cloud storage: Nest and Wyze offer free cloud storage, but Nest offers only 3 hours of storage, compared to 14-days with Wyze.
- Night vision: Nest cams offer color night vision.
Nest Secure - What you need to know
Nest disrupted the home security industry, launched by ex-Google employees. They provide practical, low-cost security solutions with professional monitoring.
Nest Aware subscriptions are low-cost and offer several vital features. Let's see what Nest can offer you.
The alarm system is perfect for DIY installation - you shouldn't require assistance, but the customer support line is responsive. The system is easy to assemble.
Wired installations are more complex but usually manageable. You'll set up your new system with the Google Home app.
The cheapest package consists of the Nest Guard, key fobs, and two entry sensors. The base package is $399, but you can buy individual add-ons or a more expensive package. Add-ons available include:
- Indoor cameras
- Outdoor cameras
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Smoke detectors
- Yard signs and decals
- Doorbell cameras
- Smart locks
- Smart lights
- Smart thermostat
One of Nest's most vital selling points is how many smart home options it includes - you can integrate Nest smoothly with many products and create the ultimate smart home ecosystem. You can use a Nest video doorbell, security cameras with motion detectors, smoke detectors, and smart locks. You can also adjust your home's climate using your phone and adjust your lights.
Your Nest system will also be compatible with If This Then That (IFTTT) and Z-wave equipment.
Pricing depends on storage options and the gadgets you choose, but the basics are as follows:
- Cheapest security package: $399
- Basic alarm package with one camera: $598
- Alarm package with smart lock: $633.
- Monitoring costs: You can buy professional monitoring for $29 monthly. This is discounted to $19 a month if you purchase a contract.
- Outage Protection: Cellular backup is available for $5 per month.
- Customization: You can buy an inexpensive base package and add-ons, including smart home devices, smart thermostats, Nest tags, CO2 detectors, and other Nest products.
- Easy install: Installation is effortless - you'll be walked through the process with the Google Home app.
- Price: For a DIY system, the price is relatively high; the extras can mount up quickly if you purchase monitoring, cellular backup, etc.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze was started in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees, offering easy installation and affordable cameras. There are several advanced features, including adjustable motion sensitivity and motion zones. Let's examine what Wyze can provide you with.
Wyze has simple installation, like Nest; you'll need to connect your camera to an outlet and let the system walk you through setup. Professional installation isn't available, but you shouldn't require assistance, particularly with Wi-Fi cameras. Wyze's customer support line is responsive if you need troubleshooting.
Wyze offers doorbell cameras and indoor cameras. There are other items offered, too. Available equipment includes:
- Smart locks
- Smart lights
- Gun safes
- Garage door controllers
- Robotic vacuums
You can consider a security kit bundle if you want to save money on your home security system. The cheapest kit is a fraction of the cost of Nest's, at just $60. The cheapest kit includes:
- Three entry sensors
Wyze offers decent smart home options; the Wyze app is available on iPhone and Android and helps you integrate additional third-party hardware. Wyze cameras are compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Homekit. You can also buy from Wyze's home automation range, which includes robotic vacuums, smart thermostats, etc.
- Equipment: Equipment pricing varies, but Wyze is highly affordable. The cheapest cameras are just $20, and you can buy a complete system with one camera for less than $100.
- Monthly fees: Professional monitoring is available from Wyze for $5 per month, in partnership with Noonlight.
- Pricing: Wyze cameras are incredibly cheap, particularly compared to Nest.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze offers a free storage allowance, plus free live streaming via the app, you can effectively monitor your home security.
- Smart home products: Your security cameras mesh well with an incredible smart home ecosystem. Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you can even use voice control.
- Professional monitoring: If you buy a security kit, you can purchase professional monitoring monthly. But this is optional, and Wyze also makes a great DIY home security system.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize activity zones and motion sensitivity.
- Mobile app: The mobile app has reported bugs and issues.
- Flimsy equipment: The equipment isn't as sturdy or sleek as Nest's equipment.
Wyze or Nest?
Wyze is one of the cheapest providers; the Wyze Cam V3 is one of the more expensive Wyze cams and will cost less than $60. Wyze also offers free video storage and low-cost plans, including professional monitoring.
But there are drawbacks. There are no outdoor cameras, and the equipment is reportedly flimsy. Nest can help you monitor all parts of your home, but you'll pay for the privilege. It's worth it for the peace of mind, though. Particularly as Wyze doesn't offer cellular backup, leaving you vulnerable in the case of an outage.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.