Security cameras form the basis of the best home security systems. Wyze and Canary cameras are excellent options. You'll have plenty to choose from if you're looking for the best home security camera.
This review will look at Wyze and Canary cameras to see which is best for you. Wyze was launched in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees; their key offerings include flexible and reliable security cameras. Canary was established in 2013 with a similar mission, offering high-quality, low-cost cameras on a flexible basis.
Wyze vs Canary: What do they have in common?
- Flexibility: Wyze and Canary pride themselves in offering flexible security systems.
- Pan-tilt and zoom: You can adjust your camera view to get a better view.
- Smart home options: Canary and Wyze cameras offer compatibility with many home automation including Amazon Alexa and other Z-wave equipment.
- Pricing: You won't usually pay more than around $100 for a camera from Wyze or Canary.
- Mobile app: You can keep an eye on your system and security cameras using a handy mobile app. Each app is available on Android and iOS. You can stream a live video feed and receive motion alerts.
- Installation: You'll need to be comfortable with DIY installation; there are no professional installation options.
- Two-way audio: Two-way talk is a great feature offered by Wyze and Canary cameras.
- Video quality: Wyze and Canary offer similar quality cameras with 1080p HD resolution.
Wyze vs Canary: What are their differences?
- Monitoring: Wyze offers professional monitoring in partnership with Noonlight. Canary doesn’t offer any professional monitoring options.
- Built-in climate monitoring: The Canary Pro has built-in climate monitoring. Wyze doesn't offer this.
- Outdoor security cameras: Wyze specializes in smart security but doesn’t offer many products for outdoor use. Canary is better for outdoor use.
- Hardware quality: Canary offers sleeker hardware; Wyze’s hardware is flimsier and may not last as long.
- Contact sensors: Wyze offers small contact sensors that send you notifications if, for example, your child opens a cabinet. They can also be used on doorways. Canary’s motion detection is limited to what it can see.
- Facial recognition: Canary’s excellent AI is capable of person detection and facial recognition, but this is part of a paid subscription.
- Local storage: Wyze offers more local storage options, with 128GB Micro SD cards available.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze offers a limited selection of free cloud storage. You'll need to pay extra for cloud storage from Canary.
Canary Security - What you need to know
Canary is a flexible, DIY provider that started in 2013. They specialize in affordable, good-quality Wi-Fi cameras, and they offer unique benefits such as a 60-day money-back guarantee.
You won't need to drill any holes; you'll choose from various mounts that are easy to install. If you experience any issues, there are several troubleshooting options. You can also contact customer support during business hours.
Canary only provides mounts and cameras at this time. There are unique features, such as a built-in climate monitor (with the Canary Pro). Some companies sell these separately.
- Canary View
- Canary Pro
- Canary Flex
- Twist mount
- Stake mount
- Secure mount
Canary doesn't offer many smart home integration options; while there are environmental monitoring options, there are no smart lights or locks. Here are the smart home options available:
- If This Then That (IFTTT)
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
When purchasing cameras from Canary, you'll have several costs to consider, including:
- Equipment costs: You'll purchase your equipment upfront with Canary. Canary's equipment is low price, with the most expensive camera being just $129. You may be eligible for a discount if you purchase a service plan.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees are optional, but if you decide on premium service and require additional video storage, you'll pay $9.99 a month or $99 annually. A two-year membership decreases the cost to $7.42 monthly or $89 annually.
- Money-back guarantee: Canary has an excellent trial period; you are eligible for a full refund 60 days after purchase.
- Price: Canary offers low pricing, weatherproof outdoor cameras can be expensive, but the Canary Flex is only $129. It's affordable to subscribe to premium services, too.
- Unique features: Canary offers cameras with unique features, such as climate control, siren, and AI technology. For example, AI technology can automatically arm and disarm your camera based on who's leaving or arriving.
- Contact sensors: Canary offers advanced motion sensors, but it can't alert you about everything - parts of your home are vulnerable as there are no contact sensors.
- No professional monitoring: Canary doesn't offer professional monitoring plans, with only a panic button available.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze was started in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees with a vision to provide competitively priced cameras with great features. Wyze offers some of the cheapest home security cameras on the market, with cameras starting at just $20. Let's take a look at what Wyze can offer.
When it comes to installing your camera system, Wyze has a straightforward installation process. The wire-free cameras offer the easiest installation - you could hire your tradesperson for wired installation, but there's no dedicated installation service.
Still, it's a simple process. You'll plug in your camera and hold the setup button after a few seconds. From there, you'll be walked through the setup process.
Wyze offers several indoor cameras, plus a video doorbell. Examples of available equipment include:
- Robotic vacuums
- Gun cabinets
- Garage door controllers
- Smart lightbulbs
- Smart locks
You can consider one of their bundles if you're looking for a complete home security system. The cheapest kit includes:
- Three motion sensors
Wyze cameras have pan-tilt-zoom features, good field of view, and color night vision. There's no 4k resolution; most cameras are 720 or 1080p HD.
Wyze offers good potential for smart homes. The Wyze app makes an excellent add-on to any system and is available on iPhone and Android. You can also enjoy independent add-ons such as IFTTT equipment (Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, etc.). Wyze has some dedicated smart home equipment such as locks, smart thermostats, etc.
- Monthly fees: Wyze offers monitoring in partnership with Noonlight. Monitoring costs just $5 per month.
- Equipment: Equipment costs vary - individual cameras start from $20 and home security packages from $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cams are feature-packed, but they're some of the cheapest on the market.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze provides many options, including free cloud storage.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring is available via Noonlight.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize your motion sensor ranges and sensitivity.
- Smart home products: Wyze offers an array of dedicated smart home products and smart home compatibility with some of the best third-party automation.
- Mobile app: The mobile app has some bugs and other issues.
- Professional installation: You won't have access to any professional installation.
- Flimsy equipment: Some customers report that the equipment feels cheap or flimsy compared to Canary's sleeker equipment.
Canary or Wyze?
If you’re looking for the most affordable security devices with the best smart home devices, Wyze is the smartest choice. Wyze has various available products, including robotic vacuums, smart lights, and garage door controls. Wyze offers some of the best indoor security cameras. Canary is more limited.
In terms of cameras, though, Canary is the best overall, with weather-resistant outdoor cameras, motion-activated alerts, two-way talk, and revolutionary AI as part of a subscription plan.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.