Smoke detectors are perhaps one of the simplest and most important ways to make your home safer. And when you purchase a smoke detector that also has the added functionality of a carbon monoxide detector, you’ll increase your home’s safety twofold. The Vivint smoke and carbon monoxide detector is an option with home automation and 24/7 professional monitoring. Let’s dig into whether this multifunctional device is right for your home.
In order to purchase the Vivint smoke detector, customers also have to also purchase a Vivint home security system. Vivint serves 1.4 million customers across the U.S. and Canada, and is well-known for its smart home offerings. If customization is high on your list, Vivint may be a great addition to your home.
The Vivint smoke and carbon monoxide detector is impressive, and certainly brings the average detector to the next level. What we love the most about the Vivint option is how it works with the rest of the home security system. If you’re a Vivint customer and the smoke alarm goes off, Vivint’s smart thermostat will automatically cut off heating or cooling airflow to minimize the spread. Plus, the Vivint system will automatically call authorities for you, and its smart locks will unlock the doors for firefighters.
The ideal customer for this product is someone who is interested in purchasing an entire home security system that is completely customizable—or someone who already has a Vivint system and wants to add on a smoke and CO detector. If you do purchase a Vivint security system, you must be ready to commit to a contract as well.
- Home automation: The best reason to purchase this smoke alarm is how it works seamlessly with all other Vivint products. If smoke or carbon monoxide is detected, Vivint’s smart thermostat automatically shuts off forced air, calls authorities and alerts you via mobile device.
- Professional monitoring: If something goes wrong while you’re not home, you won’t have to worry about whether you saw the alert on your smartphone. Help will already be on the way, thanks to 24/7 monitoring.
- Battery backup: The Vivint smoke detector is battery operated, and it also has a secondary battery as a backup to make sure it doesn’t lose power if the primary one dies.
- Price: There isn’t really a cheap way to get a hold of a Vivint smoke and carbon monoxide detector. If you want it, you’ll have to purchase an entire Vivint system, which also includes professional monitoring with a contract. If you’re just looking for a high-tech smoke alarm without security equipment, this isn’t the option for you.
- Sensor type: This device only has photoelectric sensors, which means it is good at detecting fires with a lot of smoke. Fast-moving fires with more flames may not be detected as quickly.
There are a variety of tech features you can expect with a Vivint smoke detector, including:
- Smart home compatibility: Vivint is well-known for the ability to incorporate smart home features with its security systems. You’ll enjoy the seamlessness of having your smoke detector as part of a larger smart home ecosystem.
- 24/7 monitoring: If your Vivint smoke detector senses a problem, it will immediately notify Vivint’s monitoring center, which will alert authorities.
- Professional installation: You don’t have to worry about troubleshooting because Vivint comes with professional installation.
- 85 db siren: This device will alert you to danger with an incredibly loud 85 db siren. If you’re wondering how loud that is, think of it this way: Any repeated exposure of over 85 db can actually damage your hearing. This siren is made to be heard.
- Mobile notifications: If a problem arises, you will be alerted via your smartphone. This will give you peace of mind when you’re away from home.
The Vivint smoke and carbon monoxide detector could not be any easier to install, since a professional will come to your home and do it for you. Prior to purchasing a Vivint security system, a customer service representative will walk through your home to determine exactly what you need and want to create your security system. Customers receive professional installation, which takes out any guesswork and troubleshooting.
Vivint products are well-made, and the company is known for its great customer service. Vivint products have a great track record in general. The only hesitation we have is it only has one sensor type.
Pricing and compatibility
Wondering what you’ll pay? You’ll have to contact the company to get a custom quote, but here’s what you can expect.
Smoke detector price: $100 (In addition, you must purchase Vivint’s security system.)
Security plan offerings: Vivint offers a wide array of professionally monitored security plans, starting at $39.99 per month and ranging up to $59.99 per month. Customers can completely customize their system and pay based on the type of equipment and coverage needed.
Home automation options: Vivint has its own array of smart home integrations including a smart thermostat and smart outlets. There are also third-party products you can easily integrate depending on which monthly subscription you choose. This may include Ping indoor camera, Nest thermostat, Google Home, Phillips Hue and the Amazon Echo.
Check out our full Vivint review
The bottom line
If you want or have a Vivint security system and smart home integration and professional monitoring are important to you, the Vivint smoke and carbon monoxide detector is a great option for your home.
This detector not only can help to alert you and your family to dangers in your home, but it also works seamlessly with Vivint’s other smart home products like the thermostat and smart locks to help keep you safe in the event of a fire.
While in total, the price of investing in an entire security system will be more expensive than simply purchasing a regular smoke alarm, you will be adding many layers of security to your home along with 24/7 monitoring and customer service.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.