Vivint Doorbell Camera Review
There are many different components to a complete home security system, and doorbell cameras are a simple and efficient way to keep an eye on who is coming and going. The Vivint doorbell camera allows you to keep an eye on package deliveries or get a peek at unexpected guests. You will receive specialized alerts sent straight to your smartphone when anyone approaches and the technology is smart enough not to send you alerts when a random vehicle passes your home.
For homeowners who already use Vivint as their security company, this doorbell camera is the icing on the cake of your system. With great features like video playback, smart detection and 2-way audio, you can answer your front door even when you’re not at home. If you don’t already have Vivint security though, you may be out of luck since you must have the security system to use it.
This Vivint doorbell camera review will give you the pros and cons before deciding if it’s the best model to fit your needs.
You don’t have to worry about the doorbell camera alerting you to cars driving by. The Vivint doorbell camera has smart visitor detection, so it only alerts you when a person is at your door.
A representative from Vivint will take care of the installation and make sure everything is working. You don’t have to sweat any installation issues because it’s all done for you.
This is a wide field of vision for a doorbell camera, and gives you a wide angle to see everything near your front door.
Whether it’s a potential intruder or an animal, it’s possible the Vivint doorbell camera will catch something at your front door at night. That’s why having night vision is an important feature, so you can see exactly who or what is on the doorstep.
Although there is a live view on the app, the Vivint doorbell gives you the option to playback video clips, in case you ever need to check on any motion that was detected.
While professional installation can be considered a pro, it also costs extra money and customers aren’t allowed to install their own equipment to save a few bucks. It’s always important to ask about waiving installation fees. Sometimes Vivint offers specials where you can save some cash on installation.
As far as a video doorbell goes, this one is on the expensive side. At $249, it’s one of the most expensive items Vivint offers.
In order to take advantage of video monitoring at all, you’ll have to purchase a monthly monitoring plan from Vivint, which adds to the steep price tag.
You must either already be a Vivint customer to purchase, or be ready to buy a security system with Vivint in order to use its video doorbell.
Vivint Doorbell Camera Features
Here are some of the features Vivint offers that stood out to our SecurityNerd.
- HD Video: This camera has 720p HD video, which is crisp but not as good as 1080p.
- Two-way communication: You will be able to see and hear who is at your front door. You can even answer your front door while you’re home thanks to two-way communication.
- Custom notifications: You can choose to receive notifications sent straight to your smartphone. If someone is detected at or near your front door, you will be notified. The same option exists to receive an alert if someone rings your Vivint doorbell.
- Night vision: Night vision will allow you to see visitors without having to turn on a light. This can certainly come in handy in any break-in situations where you may need to hand over video to the authorities.
- Smart clips: Vivint gives you the option of playing back 30 second videos on demand, but it does cost extra every month.
- Playback option: You will have the option to choose a video monitoring plan that allows for continuous video recording and playback options for the Vivint doorbell camera.
- Smart visitor detection: This camera model won’t alert you to just any movement outside if that’s not what you want. You can tell the camera to only alert you if it detects a person at or near your door.
- Wide angle lens: The 180-degree field of vision gives you a wide angle look at your front door, which will give you the best view of what’s going on outside.
- Smart home integration options: This doorbell seamlessly works with other Vivint equipment, meaning you’ll be able to unlock the door for a visitor if you need to.
- Power options: If you want the Vivint doorbell to operate only off battery, you have that option. Or you can opt for a wired version and not worry about changing out the batteries.
- Minimalist design: Sometimes a large security at your front door can look uninviting. The doorbell is small with a modern design which blends well into a home’s aesthetic.
Vivint Doorbell Installation
When purchasing a security system with Vivint, you will be paying for professional installation. This means you won’t have to worry about any technical issues, because a Vivint representative will be there to help.
It also means you’ll be spending extra money for that installation because you cannot install it yourself. It is worth asking about specials because Vivint has waived fees in the past on certain systems.
Vivint Doorbell Pricing
Vivint customizes a security system based on the homeowner’s specific needs. This means pricing can vary based on which package you purchase. It’s always smart to call a representative for exact pricing.
The Vivint doorbell is generally priced at $249, but that’s not including installation. Our SecurityNerd was quoted a $100 installation fee for the entire system, however a timely promotion waived that fee. The price may change based on the time of year and current promotions.
It’s also important to note that Vivint adds the cost of equipment into your monthly monitoring costs spread out over the length of your contract, so your upfront cost is very low. Contracts give you the option of spreading payments over up to 5 years at a time.
Home Automation Options
One of the great parts about purchasing a Vivint doorbell camera is that it automatically works with other Vivint products, including home automation options. The system’s app allows users to control everything from one space. That means you can see who is at your door, and even unlock the door if you’d like. You can also turn on your lights from your phone if you want to see who is on the doorstep.
Security Plans & System
In order to use a Vivint doorbell, you must be a Vivint customer with a monthly monitoring plan. For a system with no camera, the security plan costs $39.99 per month. For a 2-camera system, you’ll pay $49.99 per month. And for a 4-camera system, the monthly monitoring fee is $59.99 monthly.
If you’re considering purchasing the Vivint doorbell, it’s important to learn more about Vivint’s security offerings as a whole. You must purchase a system and monitoring in order to use the doorbell camera.
Read our full review of the Vivint Home Security System here.
The Bottom Line
If you’re in the market for a video doorbell that does more than just give you a look at what’s going on outside, the Vivint doorbell camera is a solid option. While the price is steeper than available DIY options, keep in mind that you will be getting a professionally monitored system.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).