When attempting to find the best home safes, it’s important to take note of what you need to secure inside before choosing the right one for your home. If you’re in the market for a safe that can keep plenty of valuables without breaking the bank, the Viking Large Biometric Safe is a choice that comes with an array of safety features at an affordable price point.
This safe is ideal for customers who are looking for the added security of a biometric lock and keypad, along with the ability to store more valuables than your average safe. At just under 50 pounds, it isn’t the most portable safe, but it still isn’t too cumbersome to find a place for it inside your home. The major downside is that it’s not fireproof or waterproof, but it’s still quite a value with the included safety features.
- Biometric scanning: The Viking VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe has the ability to store 32 separate fingerprints. The advantage to a fingerprint lock is that you know exactly who can access the safe without worrying about a traditional key.
- Alarm: We like the alarm feature that will let you know if the door hasn’t locked properly, or has stayed open for longer than one minute. It provides users with another assurance that no one will get into the safe because of an accident like leaving the door ajar.
- Theft protection: The Viking Large Biometric Safe has pry-resistant features that make it difficult for thieves to try and make their way into the safe. In addition, if anyone fails 10 times at using the biometric scanner, the person will be locked out.
- Fingerprint issues: Some customers say the fingerprint scanner is not spot-on each and every time, which could be said for other biometric scanners as well. Experts suggest saving your fingerprint from several different angles to ensure opening on the first try. In addition, fingerprint scanners aren’t recommended for anyone 55 and older due to thinning fingerprints.
- Not waterproof or fireproof: If you’re concerned about keeping your valuables safe from water damage or fire, this may not be the safe for you. It would be a bit cumbersome to bring with you in case of an emergency, yet not safe to leave behind in a flood situation.
Viking Large Biometric Safe: What you need to know
- Protection: The 500 DPI optical sensor is the biometric lock used by all Viking safes, which is approved by the FBI. That should give customers peace of mind knowing the hyper-sensitive scanner gets the thumbs up from the FBI.
- Size: This safe weighs 48 pounds. The outside dimensions are H 16.69” x W 13.78” x D, while interior dimensions are H 19.29” x W 12.5” x D 9.25”.
- Lock type: The Viking Large Biometric Safe has the biometric lock, along with a keypad. You can store one pin number, along with 32 fingerprints. There’s also a back-up key in case you need to get in the old-fashioned way.
- Portability: When customers are looking for a larger safe, they probably aren’t looking for a safe that can be easily moved at a moment’s notice. But as far as larger safes, go, this one only weighs 48 pounds, so you could take it with you if needed, although it would be cumbersome to bring in case of an emergency.
- Fire and waterproofing: This safe is neither fireproof nor waterproof. That is one of the downsides of the Viking Large Biometric Safe, because if your home is susceptible to fire or flooding, the items inside the safe aren’t guaranteed to withstand those elements.
- Keypad and LCD display: The safe has an LCD display along with a keypad right next to the biometric sensor. You have two simple yet secure choices to gain access to the safe without a traditional key.
- Steel construction: The Viking Large Biometric Safe is pretty durable, made with laser-cut steel with a scratch-resistant finish.
- Interior features: The carpeted interior helps to keep your valuables from scratching, while adjustable shelves make it simple to organize items the way you want. There’s also an LED light to see clearly regardless of what time it is and key hooks for easy storage.
- Battery-powered: Both the biometric scanner and LED light are powered by AA batteries.
- Pricing: The Viking Large Biometric Safe runs roughly $150-275, pending where you purchase.
- HIGHTLY SECURE 20” x 14” x 12” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE - Unlocks Fast by Registered Fingerprint or PIN Code. Access you gun,...
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND PROTECTION – Upgraded 500 DPI Optical Sensor, Motorized 20mm deadbolt locking...
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People or 1 PIN Code, All Carpeted interior with Build in...
- PRY-RESISTANT by DESIGN, TIGHTLY SEALED SOLID STEEL BODY GUN SAFE - Two 20 mm Solid Steel Locking bars go inside of 2 insertion slots in the...
- External Dimensions: H 19.69” (508 mm) x W 13.78”(305 mm) x D 12.21” (355 mm); Weight: 48 lbs. (22 kg);
Viking Security Safe is a smaller company, but as its name explains, it focuses on safes. From small cabinet safes to large wall safes, you can find just about any safe you need to store valuables. Whether you’re storing documents, jewelry, guns or even larger items, Viking has a size that customers need for their home or business.
As for the Viking Large Biometric Safe in particular, it’s a safe and effective way to store your belongings without having to worry about the whereabouts of a traditional key. Although it’s a little bulky to travel with if you needed to bring it with you in case of an emergency, you certainly could. There’s also the option to mount it higher on a wall to keep from flood damage or to keep out of reach of children.
We like biometric safes for the extra layer of security they provide. The Viking Large Biometric Safe also has a keypad as a backup, as well as a traditional key in case you are forgetful and let the batteries die. This safe is durable and has plenty of bells and whistles at a fair price point.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.