If you’re looking to find an ideal safe for your home and also consider technology a top factor in your purchase, the Verifi Smart Safe S5000 series will hit the mark. Whether storing a firearm, family heirloom or jewelry, this safe will let you do so safely, using a superior fingerprint lock that’s a step above the rest. Other thoughtful features, including an adjustable LED light and access and event logs, make this one of SecurityNerd’s favorite safes on the market.
This safe will work best for someone who wants top-notch security with bells and whistles included. The Verifi Smart Safe S5000 has a larger and more effective fingerprint lock than some of its counterparts, approved by the FBI for secure firearm storage. This model even performs self-diagnostic tests to make sure it’s running properly.
- Powerful fingerprint sensor: The Verifi Smart Safe S5000 is made with the TouchChip sensor, which is larger than your average biometric scanner. It has been tested and certified by the FBI to meet Next Generation standard for fingerprint image quality.
- Long battery life: The Verifi Smart Safe S5000 was made for people who hate changing batteries. In fact, the company says the safe can last a few years on a single set of AA batteries.
- Access logs: With an ordinary safe, you really have no way of knowing if someone entered the safe. But Verifi constructed a product that will tell you if someone tried to get in, gained access, or used the backup key.
- LED light: While we are a fan of the LED light feature inside the safe, some users complain it doesn’t stay on long enough, and it’s not bright enough. You can adjust the brightness by pressing a button on the front of the safe, but that may affect the long battery life.
- No environmental protection: The Verifi Smart Safe S5000 is not fireproof or waterproof, which means it’s vulnerable to a fire or flood. It only weighs 21 pounds, so you can easily move it in an emergency if needed, but, of course, that means thieves can easily move it as well.
Verifi Smart Safe S5000: What you need to know
Verifi has constructed a durable safe that has been tested and certified by the FBI for its fingerprint sensor. It uses an active capacitive sensor that can get the most accurate fingerprint image. In addition, each of Verifi’s safes, including this model, are listed on the California DOJ’s list of approved firearm safety devices. Other important factors to consider before purchasing this safe include:
- Size: The Verifi Smart Safe isn’t the largest safe out there, but you can definitely store plenty of valuables inside, including firearms, jewelry, important paperwork or keepsakes you don’t want to lose. The external dimensions are 7.9 (H) x 13.2 (W) x 13.8 (D) in. The internal dimensions are 7.3 (H) x 13.0 (W) x 9.5 (D) in.
- Lock type: This safe has a biometric lock with a key as a backup. The fingerprint scanner uses what Verifi calls a TouchChip sensor, which has a wider area that allows for a more accurate fingerprint image. The sensor reads fingerprints at a resolution of 508 dpi, which is higher than what is required by the FBI. Verifi says its design is meant to open via fingerprint “on the first time every time.” This lock can also store 40 fingerprints.
- Portability: The Verifi Smart Safe weighs just 21 pounds, so it isn’t difficult to bring with you in case of emergency. It’s large enough to be able to store firearms and other important valuables, but small enough to be able to relocate it in an instant.
- No environmental protection: This safe is not protected from either fire or a flood.
- Self-diagnostics: This is another reason why we think this safe is tops for techies. It runs tests every 24 hours minimum on its own to make sure the safe is running properly. It checks battery health, the fingerprint-scanning system and locking mechanisms inside the safe.
- LED display: The front of the safe will give you alerts if the door has been left ajar, if someone has tampered with the safe or if an aspect of the Verifi Smart Safe isn’t working properly.
- Battery life: Verifi says this product can run on a single set of AA batteries for a couple of years. If and when the battery runs low, you will receive a warning and a beeping alarm. You’ll also be able to see the battery status on the LED display showing you percentage of battery left.
The Verifi Smart Safe is sold on the company’s website as well as on Amazon. It has an automatic locking door and can also easily be mounted, and has a one-year warranty.
- Biometric safe featuring the largest and only FBI certified fingerprint sensor in any gun safe. The large-area capacitive TouchChip...
- Handgun safe automatically performs a set of thorough self-diagnostic tests on the batteries, fingerprint sensor, and safe lock mechanisms...
- Smart gun safe operates for years on a single set of batteries. LCD display on the front of the biometric safe shows battery percentage....
- Tamper alerts are timestamped and secured within the biometric safe memory to keep you informed of backup-key access, reset attempts, and...
- Additional fingerprint safe features include: adjustable LED light, automatic locking door, carpeted interior, pre-drilled holes for...
Verifi Smart Safe: Wrapping it up
Each of Verifi’s safes are tested by the FBI and listed on the California Department of Justice’s list of approved firearm safety devices. These types of certifications add value to a safe that already has great features to offer.
Verifi is manufactured by Zvetco, which is known for its fingerprint-sensing products like biometric safes and smart card readers. Verifi offers a wide range of safes in various sizes, ranging in price from $299.99- $699.99.
You don’t have to worry about battery life or tampering, thanks to the user-friendly design complete with access logs. If you’re in the market for a home safe, but really want the peace of mind of having a fingerprint sensor certified by the FBI, the Verifi Smart Safe is an ideal option.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.