Whether you want to store important paperwork, firearms or even expensive jewelry, finding a safe that can withstand a fire is an important feature. Even if you have to leave your home quickly due to a natural disaster or house fire, the Steelwater Fireproof Safe will protect your belongings for up to two hours in up to 18500-degree flames.
SecurityNerd thinks Steelwater’s SWEL 530 model is one of the best home safes out there because of its versatility. In addition to solid durability, you can remove shelves and adjust them to organize your belongings or create more space. If fire protection and strength is important to you, the Steelwater Fireproof Safe is an ideal choice for your home. We also like that the locks the company uses are UL listed, which should give you extra peace of mind that you are choosing a secure product.
- Fireproof: The Steelwater Fireproof Safe can withstand some pretty serious flames, and will keep your belongings safe for up to two hours in 1850-degree flames.
- Durability: The safe is constructed with two layers of steel, and it weighs more than 140 pounds. It is a heavy-duty product that can really stand up to thieves or flames.
- UL Listed locks: Steelwater safes are constructed with UL-listed LaGard group locks, which means they have been tested and approved by the Underwriters Laboratory.
- Not waterproof: If you live in a flood-prone area, or are worried about water damage to your belongings, this safe does not guarantee any type of protection from flooding. Steelwater says most of its safes can probably withstand overhead sprinklers during a fire though.
- Portability: If you need your safe to travel or move at a moment’s notice, this certainly is not the product for you. It is delivered in a flatbed truck and weighs 143 pounds, which limits where you put the safe in your house and also limits how quickly it can be moved from one place to another.
- Delivery: There are some areas you may not be able to get delivery for this Steelwater safe. It’s delivered on a large truck straight to your garage, which may present an issue for customers living in rural areas, apartment complexes or locations that must be accessed via narrow roads.
Steelwater Fireproof Safe: What you need to know
The Steelwater SWEL 530 is large enough to keep plenty of items safe from thieves or a fire, while still not being too bulky to keep in your home. You can quickly gain access using a keypad in an emergency. Other features include:
- Protection: Steelwater takes its locks seriously. It manufactures its safes using UL-listed locks, meaning they were tested and approved by the Underwriters Laboratory. This provides customers peace of mind knowing these locks have gone through rigorous testing and can stand up to thieves.
- Size: The Steelwater Fireproof Safe is certainly spacious. You can easily store firearms, jewelry and other important valuables throughout the safe. Removable shelving and drawers can either provide you with more space for taller items or more organization for your belongings. Outside dimensions are 20 7/8” H x 17 1/8” W x 17 5/16” D, with interior dimensions of 16 1/4” H x 12 9/16” W x 12 3/16” D.
- Lock type: Steelwater uses LaGard Group II locks, which are UL listed. This fireproof safe can be opened with a keypad only, and users can pick codes between 4 and 16 numbers in length. You simply put in the combination and use your fingers to turn the lock.
- Portability: Weighing in at almost 150 pounds, it’s no surprise this safe doesn’t rank highly in portability. But it makes up for it in durability and versatility.
- Environmental protections: The Steelwater Fireproof Safe provides ample fire protection, but lacks when it comes to protecting your belongings from water damage. While the company shares that your belongings can probably withstand water damage from sprinklers, it doesn’t share how it might do in a serious flood situation.
- Price: This safe rings in at just under $400. While that is certainly more expensive than your average home safe, generally a fireproof safe will be more expensive. However, you do get perks of free delivery to certain areas as well as a free dehumidifier, according to the Steelwater website.
- Lifetime fire and burglary warranty: Each Steelwater safe can be replaced for free in case of fire or theft as long as the customer has properly anchored the safe to the ground. This safe comes with a pre-drilled anchoring hole.
- 2-Hour fire rated at 1850°F (1010°C) 2- Layers of Steel (Steel inner walls and door, NOT PLASTIC) -- (2)Active rectangular locking bolt...
- (1) Removable/adjustable shelf and (1) slide out drawer - (2) Stationary Rectangular Locking Bolts On Hinge Side--(4) Reprogrammable user...
- PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING: Undeliverable to New York with zip codes beginning in (100-104) & (110-119), some remote areas such as...
- SEE MORE IN-DEPTH DETAILS ON THIS PAGE BELOW ADVERTISEMENTS
Steelwater Fireproof Safe: Wrapping up
Based out of South Carolina, Steelwater offers safes of every size with multiple locking mechanisms. The company prides itself on constructing maximum security safes at a discounted price. Steelwater says because you buy it directly from the manufacturer, consumers are saving on markup prices you can expect from a third party.
Steelwater’s 530 model has a great blend of performance and value, with an impressive fireproof rating along with a price point under $400. A keypad entry, along with non-volatile memory makes it easy for users to get in and out of the safe in an emergency, while still keeping a high level of security. The Steelwater Fireproof Safe is large enough to keep your valuables safe, with enough versatility to store just about anything you need.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.