Protection 1 operated as an independent home security company for more than 25 years before merging with ADT in 2016. Since then, it has functioned primarily under the ADT brand, where they serve more than 7 million customers in the United States and Canada.
Based out of Boston, SimpliSafe is one of the best DIY home security systems and covers over three millIt'shomes in America. It's known for its flexibility, easy setup, and little startup cost.
These two companies offer different benefits, and levels of service, today we'll be comparing the two side by side to decide which is best for you.
SimpliSafe Vs. Protection 1 - What are the similarities?
- High-Quality Equipment: Our Security Nerd gives both companies good marks for their equipment. Both offer advanced options that are reliable and sturdy.
- Professional monitoring: With either SimpliSafe or Protection 1, you can access 24/7 security monitoring. With SimpliSafe, a monitoring plan is optional. A pro will call you from the monitoring center if your alarm is triggered to verify all is okay and call emergency services.
- Good Reputation: SimpliSafe has built a reliable reputation, though they're somewhat industry disrupter. Protection 1 works in tandem with ADT and represents a well-known brand. Both have carved out good reputations for themselves and can offer you extra peace of mind.
- Mobile App: Both companies encompass an easy-to-use mobile app that will send you notifications and allow you to control your system on the go. Protection 1 uses the ADT pulse app. You can arm and disarm your alarm system remotely and view your indoor cameras. Both are well rated on the app store.
SimpliSafe Vs. Protection 1 - What are the differences?
- Professional Installation: If you choose Protection 1, a professional will be sent out to install your system for you at an extra cost. SimpliSafe offers DIY installation.
- Home Automation: SimpliSafe only offers a handful of home automation options, whereas Protection 1 offers Z wave compatibility and its range of smart home integrations.
- Cost: Protection 1 is quite pricey, and SimpliSafe is one of the most affordable home security options, particularly if you choose to self-monitor.
SimpliSafe - What you need to know
DIY installation of your SimpliSafe System is Wi-Fi-based and very simple, taking just a few minutes. However, if you find yourself needing any assistance, customer reviews reveal that the support team takes some time to answer the phone. With that said, Our Security Nerd was connected with a support agent in under 5 minutes and you also have the option to leave a message, too.
With SimpliSafe, you get advanced security equipment with a simple setup at a fair price. The best part is, you can pick and choose which gear you want to use based on the size of your home and desired security, allowing you to design your SimpliSafe system. All equipment comes with a 3-year warranty.
Some of the available equipment includes:
- Security Cameras
- Motion detectors
- Panic button
- Base station
- Window sensors
- Glass break sensors
- Smoke detector
SimpliSafe has a select range of Home Automation products.
Here are some smart home devices compatible with SimpliSafe products:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Apple TV
- August Door Lock
- Nest thermostat
SimpliSafe remedied part of their compatibility issues by releasing a video doorbell, But this won't work for those who already have a doorbell camera in place. Amazon Alexa compatibility allows you to use voice control.
You purchase equipment upfront either from a pre-determined package deal or à la carte. There are over 15 different packages in different price ranges to choose from. Compared to Brinks, the costs are tiny. You could buy an entire security system for under $150 with no monthly fees (if you choose a self-monitoring option).
Monthly monitoring costs start from $14.99 per month.
- Costs: Even the highest-level security bundle comes in under $500, making this an attractive option for homeowners who aren't looking for expensive home security. A home monitoring service is an optional addition.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: SimpliSafe offers a 60-day money-back promise that you can return it if you don't like the system. They'll even cover shipping.
- Flexibility: You can begin customizing your system as soon as you buy it by buying precisely what you need. You can choose whether or not to have security monitoring; DIY is an option for those looking to save money. You can design the system to your tastes.
- Equipment Incompatibility: If you purchase security with SimpliSafe and decide to upgrade later, new equipment is not compatible with older equipment, necessitating much more significant upgrades if you want to upgrade even a tiny part of your system.
Protection 1 Home Security - What you need to know
When you sign up for a package with Protection 1, a professional will visit you to complete the installation. The installation fee varies from $99 to $199 depending on the package you choose. There is no option to self-install.
Protection 1 offers more equipment options than almost any other company.
Available equipment includes:
- Touchscreen control panel
- Entry sensors
- Motion sensor
- Keychain remote
- Yard sign
- Window decals
- Video surveillance— with indoor and outdoor camera options
- 2-way voice
- Web & mobile control
- Image motion sensor
- Camera-integrated motion detector
- Fire and carbon monoxide detectors
- Glass-break detector
- Wireless doorbell
- Water and flood sensor
- Remote thermostat control
- Lighting and appliance control
- Garage door controller
- Freeze sensor
- Smart locks
Protection 1 plans integrate with Alexa, Google Home, and Z-Wave products. They also offer a wide range of products, including the following:
- Door locks: With keyless entry, you don't have to worry about carrying keys (and losing keys!), and you can remotely let people in or lock up after them via the app
- Home lighting: Using their smart light bulbs, which you screw in like regular light bulbs, you can dim the lights, turn them on and off and even put them on a schedule via the app.
- Thermostat: You can control the temperature in your home remotely to save energy and keep it comfortable. For example, you can program a schedule that turns down the heat while you're away at work, then warms things back up before you arrive home
- Garage doors: Never drive back home because you have that nagging feeling you left the garage door open again. You can monitor as well as open and close all the doors via the app, and if your door has been left open, you'll get an alert
- Video doorbell camera: The Skybell video doorbell lets you see who's at your door, day or night, and a built-in motion sensor will alert you when someone is there. Two-way audio capabilities allow you to speak with them too
- Switches and plugs: Smart plugs and switches let you connect lights and appliances to the app, so you can control them remotely
When purchasing a home security system, here are the key costs to consider:
- Equipment costs: At Protection 1, there is no upfront cost for equipment included in the basic packages. Pricing for add-on equipment isn't readily available unless you agree to have a technician visit your home
- Installation costs: Protection 1 installation ranges from $99-199, depending on which package you select
- Monthly costs: Protection 1 packages range from $34.99 to $59.99. The most affordable option, the Secure plan, uses a landline with no access to the company's app
- Activation fee: Some security system companies charge activation fees. Protection 1 does not
- Customer Service: Protection 1 has an A-plus rating with the Better Business Bureau. They offer 24/7 customer support via email, phone, and chat and free same-day or next-day service should any issues arise with your system. Calls are answered quickly, and representatives are knowledgeable and friendly.
- Reliability: A leader in the industry with decades of experience building and servicing security systems, their products and service have a long history of reliability. With ten monitoring centers in the United States, your home is protected, even if disaster strikes one center. All equipment has a lifetime guarantee too.
- Confusing Pricing: If you want equipment beyond their basic equipment packages, you're going to have to agree to have a technician come to your home. They don't provide pricing online, and they won't release it over the phone. This makes for confusing pricing.
- Long-term contracts: All of Protection 1's plans require a 36-month contract (except in California, where it's 24 months), so you want to make sure you're confident that this is the system you want. This is relatively standard among home security companies, but the three-year contract makes it restrictive nonetheless.
SimpliSafe or Protection 1 Home Security?
We like SimpliSafe for its low cost, customizability, and easy DIY installation; however, it's clear that both SimpliSafe and Protection 1 are excellent choices for their reasons. Suppose you prefer a smart security system with all bells and whistles, including professional installation and excellent smart home options, and don't mind additional monitoring fees. In that case, Protection 1 is a great choice. However, both companies are fantastic overall.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.