Protection One Review
Protection 1 operated as an independent home security company for more than 25 years before merging with ADT in 2016. Since then, it has operated primarily under the ADT brand where they serve more than 7 million customers in the United States and Canada. An industry leader, Protection 1 offers a wide variety of home security and home automation products as well as products for commercial businesses. Platform reviews consistently give them high marks for solid products and reliable professional installation and monitoring.
They aren’t the least expensive systems on the market, but they are an attractive option for those who want to go with a large company with a long history of professionalism and dependability and products that require little effort on their part.
Protection 1 is known for dependable products and full-service, professional home security systems. Since merging with ADT, the combined experience of the two allows them to provide a vast array of products and reliable service.
If you’re looking for the best bargain, you probably want to look beyond Protection 1, as there are more affordable systems that allow self-installation and self-monitoring. Overall, however, Protection 1 seems to be dedicated to maintaining their position as a leading, full-service home security company by offering quality products and service.
- Hardware: 4.5 out of 5. Their equipment is well-made with few complaints about reliability, and their offerings are vast. All equipment and services comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Customer Service: 4 out of 5. Protection 1 prides themselves on knowledgeable, professional support personnel. They provide 24/7 customer support, and with 10 monitoring stations in the United States, you don’t have to worry about your house being unmonitored in the case of a storm or other natural disaster.
- Pricing: 3.5 out of 5. Protection 1’s systems are more expensive than many other systems, and there’s no option for self-installation to save on costs. It’s also difficult to get a solid quote of how much add-on products will cost.
- The Mobile App: 4.5 out of 5. With lots of functionality, customers say the app is useful, reliable and easy to use. App-store reviewers in both Apple and Google give it high marks.
- SmartHome Capabilities: 4.5 out of 5. Protection 1 offers a vast array of home automation products and integrates with Google Home, Alexa and Z-Wave products. Note, however, that not all their plans support home automation.
Protection 1 has an A-plus rating with the Better Business Bureau. They offer 24/7 customer support via email, phone and chat and free same-day or next-day service should any issues arise with your system. Calls are answered quickly and representatives are knowledgeable and friendly.
If you want equipment beyond their basic packages, you’re going to have to agree to have a technician come to your home. They don’t provide pricing online, and they won't release it over the phone. This can be frustrating if you just want to compare systems without committing to an in-home visit.
Equipment available from Protection 1
Protection 1 offers more equipment options than almost any other company. While there are no charges for equipment included in their basic packages, there are additional equipment costs for it in their Smart Control and video packages. All equipment comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Touchscreen control panel
- Door/window sensors
- Motion sensor
- Keychain remote
- Yard sign
- Window decals
The Protection 1 Mobile App
Protection 1 customers use the ADT Pulse App which has a
- 4.8 rating in the Apple App Store
- 4.1 rating in the Google Play Store
The app is straightforward and easy to use. Functionality includes the ability to:
- Arm and disarm your system
- Control lights and other appliances
- Lock and unlock doors
- Adjust the thermostat
- Set up schedules for lighting, heating and cooling
- Receive alerts when motion is detected
App-store reviews are largely positive from customers, with most saying it’s convenient, works well and provides peace of mind. The biggest complaint is with issues connecting to the system.
Protection 1 Smart Home Capabilities
Protection 1 plans integrate with Alexa, Google Home and Z-Wave products. They also offer a wide range of their own products including the following:
- Door locks: With keyless entry, you don’t have to worry about carrying keys (and losing keys!), and you can remotely let people in or lock up after them via the app.
- Home lighting: Using their smart light bulbs, which you simply screw in like regular light bulbs, you can dim the lights, turn them on and off and even put them on a schedule via the app.
- Thermostat: You can control the temperature in your home remotely to save energy and keep it comfortable. For example, you can program a schedule that turns down the heat while you’re away at work, then warms things back up before you arrive home.
- Garage doors: Never drive back home because you have that nagging feeling you left the garage door open again. You can monitor and open and close all the doors via the app, and if your door has been left open, you’ll get an alert.
- Video doorbell camera: The Skybell video doorbell lets you see who's at your door, day or night, and a built-in motion sensor will alert you when someone is there. Two-way audio capabilities let you speak with them too.
- Switches and plugs: Smart plugs and switches let you connect lights and appliances to the app, so you can control them remotely.
Note that smart home automation only works with some of the company’s packages.
Protection 1 Customer Service
Protection 1 offers 24/7 customer service via phone, chat and email to existing customers. Pricing information and other inquiries for those thinking about signing up for Protection 1 service can only be accessed via telephone from 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Central time. Calls are answered quickly, and representatives are friendly and knowledgeable.
To test customer service, our Security Nerd tested each of the following processes:
- Sales: Called and attempted to reach customer service via chat to enquire about a potential security system
- Service: Called customer service to see how long it takes to speak with a human. Also attempted to connect with them via chat.
Geographical coverage area
- All 50 United States
Protection 1 pricing and packages
When purchasing a security system, here are the key costs to consider and how Protection 1 stacks up:
- Equipment costs: At Protection 1, there is no upfront cost for equipment included in the basic packages. Pricing for add-on equipment isn’t readily available unless you agree to have a technician visit your home.
- Installation costs: Protection 1 installation ranges from $99-199, depending on which package you select.
- Monthly costs: Protection 1 packages range from $34.99-59.99. The most affordable option—the Secure plan—uses a landline, with no access to the company’s app.
- Activation fee: Some security system companies charge activation fees. Protection 1 does not.
You can purchase equipment from Protection 1 a la carte, but the company won’t provide prices without sending a technician to your home, so it’s hard to know exactly what your cost will be until you get to that point.
The Bottom Line
If you’ve never heard of Protection 1, it’s likely because the company has operated under the ADT brand since the two merged in 2016. Call them what you will, but the company provides solid options worth considering for your home security needs.
If you don’t like the idea of working with such a huge company, then you may want to consider a smaller one with local service, such as Guardian Protection. Prices may be higher, but you’re also likely to get more personalized service.
If you want to save money, you may also want to consider other companies, such as SimpliSafe or Frontpoint, that offer DIY installation with various monitoring options at lower prices. In fact, if you’re willing to do the installation yourself, you can get very comparable packages by going with Frontpoint while paying less monthly.
If, however, you want a large, well-established company with plentiful, reliable options for home security and home automation, then Protection 1 is a strong contender for consideration.
About the Author
Julie Ryan Evans
Julie Ryan Evans is a writer and editor who has worked with a host of diverse companies including Microsoft, USA Today, Realtor.com, Brit + Co, CafeMom and SheKnows, among others. She has a master’s degree in nonfiction writing from The Johns Hopkins University and regularly covers topics including health and wellness, parenting, technology, finance, real estate and pop culture. While she currently calls the Orlando area home, she has lived everywhere from Hawaii to Austin, Boston and beyond.