SimpliSafe Cameras Review
SimpliSafe is growing into one of the most popular DIY home security companies in America, with more than 3 million customers. This Boston-based company isn’t your grandpa’s home security system. It offers flexibility and simple setup without all the high fees of traditional companies.
SimpliSafe cameras are high-quality and get the job done, but there aren’t many choices. For example, there isn’t actually a SimpliSafe outdoor camera. The company just started offering an outdoor outfit for its indoor camera. Nonetheless, SimpliSafe is a solid choice for homeowners and renters alike thanks to lack of monthly fees and contracts.
In This Review
You can get started with SimpliSafe cameras for about $100, which isn’t that expensive considering the bells and whistles you get. Some of its competitors cost much more to get started, and SimpliSafe cameras offer some great options including two-way audio.
If you decide to go with SimpliSafe, you’ll only get to choose from three cameras. The SimpliCam, Outdoor Cam, and Video Doorbell Pro. Granted, this covers your indoor, outdoor, and door monitoring needs. But, if you want a wide range of choices from bullet cams to floodlight cams, SimpliSafe won’t be your top choice.
SimpliSafe Camera Features
Here are some of the features SimpliSafe offers that stood out to our SecurityNerd.
- HD video: Users like the crisp video from SimpliSafe cameras. You won’t have to worry about any grainy images in case of an emergency with these products.
- SimpliSafe app: Your SimpliCam comes with an app where you can watch exactly what’s happening at your home while you’re not there. The great news is, the apps have nearly perfect ratings in both app stores, so you’re getting an easy-to-use product with few complaints.
- Smart motion detection: SimpliSafe cameras can tell the difference between a bad guy entering your house and your dog running around while you’re away. Their motion detectors detect the "unique heat signature of humans,” according to SimpliSafe.
- Recording options: You can record anything you see on your app at the press of a button. You can also download and share clips you record.
- 30-day storage: Although you need to purchase a plan separately, you can save up to a month’s worth of video from your SimpliCam.
- Night vision: SimpliSafe cameras don’t just offer crystal clear video during the daytime. Its night vision also allows you to see what’s going on when the sun is down.
- 120-degree field of vision: You’ll get a better look at what’s going on with the camera’s wide field of vision. (The video doorbell has a 162-degree wide field of vision.)
- Two-way audio: Talk to whoever is on the other side of the camera, and they’ll be able to hear you too. This can come in handy with a loved one, or if you are trying to scare away an intruder.
- Privacy shutter: Need a little privacy while you’re home? Just slide the privacy shutter, and no one will be able to see what’s going on in the app.
SimpliSafe Camera Installation
One of the huge reasons why SimpliSafe cameras are so popular is because of their easy installation. When setting up the system in general, it’s literally plug and play. Plug it in, download the app and simply follow instructions on your phone. You pair the device with Wi-Fi and you’re good to go. It’s also worth noting SimpliSafe has great customer service and many online help forums if you get stuck.
The SimpliSafe doorbell isn’t difficult to install, but it definitely takes more DIY know-how than the SimpliCam. First, make sure you have an existing non-digital doorbell before buying this item. All you need in addition is a Wi-Fi connection and a Phillips head screwdriver.
After removing your current doorbell, take the existing doorbell’s wires and thread them through the mounting bracket that comes in the box. There’s also a wedge SimpliSafe provides if you’re looking to install on brick, but that will also require a power drill. Pair the doorbell with your Wi-Fi with help from the app, and you’re done. It takes about a half an hour to get done according to many users.
SimpliSafe Options & Pricing
This is SimpliSafe’s main camera that can also turn into a SimpliSafe outdoor camera with the addition of an outdoor outfit. Enjoy all the features above, and add in an array of home security tools to allow for home automation and a full-scale security system.
Wireless Outdoor Camera
The latest camera addition to the SimpliSafe line, the wireless outdoor cam has a magnetic mount, doesn't need any wiring, and gets you 1080p video with an 8X zoom.
Video Doorbell Pro
This doorbell camera provides a wide-angle view of your yard and alerts you even if no one rings the doorbell. You’ll be able to see who’s at your door and also communicate with them thanks to two-way audio. This camera can also tell the difference between people and objects, and you can tell the camera to ignore cars as well. It includes a door chime and works seamlessly with all other SimpliSafe products. Check out our full review of the SimpliSafe video doorbell.
Home Automation Options
If you’re looking to create your own smart home ecosystem, SimpliSafe can help with that. SimpliSafe is compatible with the following third-party systems:
- Google Assistant
- August Door Lock
- Nest Thermostat
Security Plans & System
You don’t have to choose professional monitoring with SImpliSafe, but it’s available if you want it. If you’re okay with keeping an eye on things yourself, you are not forced to purchase either service. Professional monitoring choices include:
- Standard: $14.99/month: The professionals at SimpliSafe will alert authorities if your system signals a break-in.
- Interactive: $24.99/month: This package includes professional monitoring along with unlimited video recording. SimpliSafe also claims operators use video evidence in this plan to give emergency operators visual proof that there is a break-in, giving your call priority.
Check out our full review of the SimpliSafe security system.
SimpliSafe Cameras: The Bottom Line
SimpliSafe cameras are ideal for anyone looking for high-quality cameras with a flexible and reliable home security system. The cameras aren’t the most advanced of all home security systems, but they do have some impressive features, and they get the job done. We also like the fact that SimpliSafe created an exterior outfit for its SimpliCam to turn it into the SimpliSafe outdoor cam.
With features like smart motion detection and a highly rated app, investing in SimpliSafe cameras will keep your home safe without taking a huge chunk out of your monthly budget. SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign lengthy contracts or buy into expensive monthly plans. Perhaps best of all, you can return your system after 60 days if you’re not happy, so there’s no real risk to giving it a try.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).