The SentrySafe Fireproof Box 0500 is an affordable and reliable way to keep your belongings safe from a fire. Whether you’re looking to store expensive items like jewelry or priceless mementos like wedding pictures or family videos, the SentrySafe Fireproof Box is powerful enough to keep your valuables safe for half an hour in heat up to 1550 degrees Farenheit.
The best customer for this particular safe is someone looking to store smaller items in a safe place in case of a house fire or a natural disaster. The keys for this safe, while reliable, are not quite as secure as biometric locks or even dial locks. So, if you’re looking to store ultra-expensive items, you may want to up your game a little bit and find a safe with a biometric locking system. But this one will work fine for most people simply attempting to keep items locked away safely from the elements. We think it’s one of the best home safes on the market when it comes to portability and affordability.
- Fireproof: The big selling point of the SentrySafe Fireproof Box is its fire rating. It will withstand 1550 degree temperatures for up to half an hour while keeping your belongings safe. That means at lower temperatures, it can keep whatever is inside for safe even longer.
- Portability: The SentrySafe Fireproof Box can easily be picked up and brought along in your car whether you’re moving, traveling or even evacuating in case of a natural disaster. The handles also make it easy to carry, which can be especially helpful if you’re in a rush to get your items out of your home.
- Price: This is an affordable safe that packs a big bang for your buck. It’s durable but doesn’t break the bank.
- Not waterproof: While this safe withstands flames and may be able to keep your valuables safe from small amounts of water, it’s not certified waterproof.
- Limited space: This safe is meant for smaller items, so it may deter those looking to store a larger amount of valuables.
- Fireproof box is UL Classified to endure 1/2 hour at 1550°F to protect small documents and small valuables from fire
- Fire safe box is ETL Verified to protect CDs, DVDs, and USBs from fire damage
- Fireproof lock box features a flat key lock to prevent the lid from opening in the event of a fire; includes two keys
- Exterior: 12.2 in. W x 10.3 in. D x 6.1 in. H; Interior: 9.7 in. W x 7.3 in. D x 3.8 in. H;
- Small capacity 0.15 cubic feet; weighs 11 pounds
SentrySafe Fireproof Box: What you need to know
- Protection: This safe is UL certified, which means it stands up to the latest safety testing. Because of its UL certified fire rating, you can safely store electronics such as CDs, hard drives, phones, memory cards and other devices without worrying about compromising their integrity, even if the safe is stored somewhere that isn’t climate controlled. The SentrySafe Fireproof Box is constructed with durable polyethylene.
- Size: As far as safes go, the SentrySafe Fireproof Box is on the smaller end. Customers who only need to store small items or are interested in traveling with those items will benefit the most from this model. The outside dimensions are 12.2 in. W x 10.3 in. D x 6.1 in. H, while the interior dimensions: are 9.7 in. W x 7.3 in. D x 3.8 in. H.
- Lock type: This safe has a regular flat key lock, which gets the job done, but it certainly isn’t the most advanced type of locking mechanism you can find on a safe. If you’re looking for a more secure lock, there are options with biometric locks or combination locks for an extra layer of security.
- Portability: This is one of the best selling points for the SentrySafe Fireproof Box. You can easily pick it up and take it with you anywhere you need to go. Whether it’s placing your valuables somewhere safe on vacation, or bringing them with you as you move homes, you won’t have to worry about getting your valuables moved from one place to another. Of course, this also means that thieves could easily take the safe with them, so it’s not the best protection against theft of your items.
- Fire rating: The average house fire is somewhere between 1000 and 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. The SentrySafe Fireproof Box can keep items inside safe for up to half an hour, up to 1550 degrees. That means even if the safe is in a house fire, items inside should remain undamaged for a period of time thanks to this safe.
- Pricing: The SentrySafe Fireproof Box is $typically between $30 and $40 on Amazon. For the amount of protection it provides, this is a bargain. While you can certainly invest more money to get more advanced features, this works for someone looking to simply store a few items.
SentrySafe Fireproof Box: Wrapping it Up
When you purchase a safe from SentrySafe, you know you’re getting quality because the company has been in the business for 90 years, providing safe options for customers in 54 different countries. Its main focus is on fire-resistant chests and other storage items to keep valuables safe from the elements.The SentrySafe 0500 Fireproof Box, while one of the smaller safes they offer, has big value if you’re looking to keep items protected with minimal investment. While we think the biggest downside is that it’s not waterproof, you can easily store this box up higher in your home if you live in a flood-prone area. This safe will provide peace of mind whether you’re storing family videos, heirlooms or even important documents. If you’re shopping for a safe that gets the job done at a minimal cost, this is a solid choice.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.