Ring Peephole Cam Review
Ring has become one of the most popular DIY home security companies in America, and for good reason. What started out as a company with a revolutionary video doorbell now offers a variety of smart home options and a full-fledged Ring Alarm home security system complete with professional monitoring options. Gone are the days when you have to sign lengthy contracts and spend tons of cash to add security cameras to your home.
While you may already be familiar with Ring’s video doorbell options, the Ring Peephole Cam (formerly known as the Ring Door View Cam) replaces your peephole, essentially turning it into a video doorbell with full functionality. On the surface, it is perfect for apartment dwellers who may not have a spot to put a more traditional video doorbell. But it is also a great option for people living in houses because of its simple setup and ease of use.
If you’re in the market for a video doorbell, and have a door with a peephole, the Ring Peephole Cam is an ideal option packed with features you’d expect from Ring.
Like most Ring products, the Ring Peephole Cam doesn’t take long to get up and running. You won’t have to worry about drilling holes or doing anything to ruin your door, which is perfect for renters.
The picture on the camera looks a bit distorted, similar to how it looks when you peer through the peephole. This is called barrel distortion, and it’s to be expected with the Peephole Cam.
Here are some of the features Ring offers that stood out to our SecurityNerd.
- HD video: The Ring Peephole Cam provides crisp video, thanks to HD resolution. You won’t have to worry about any grainy video with this camera.
- Knock detection: If your visitors knock instead of ringing the doorbell, don’t fear. This camera has knock detection, so it will send you an alert and/or start recording even if they don’t ring the bell.
- Two-way communication: The Ring Peephole Cam has the functionality of any good video doorbell: the ability to communicate with whomever is on the other side of the door, thanks to two-way communication with noise cancellation.
- Smartphone app: All of your Ring devices can be accessed through the same highly rated smartphone app. Get alerts, download and share videos, and set up preferences through the Ring app.
- Wide field of vision: With a 155-degree horizontal and 90-degree vertical field of view, you’ll have a great look at what’s happening outside your door.
- Motion detection: The built-in motion detector in the Ring Peephole Cam will alert you any time people come near your door, if you choose.
- Night vision: This camera can see clearly at night thanks to its night vision capabilities.
- Rechargeable battery: You can easily remove off the rechargeable battery from the inside of your door, charge it and then slide it back on.
Ring Peephole Cam Installation
Ring claims that you can install the Ring Peephole Cam in just five minutes. The instructions are simple enough, but you probably want to give yourself a bit more time than that. Here’s how it works: Ring provides a tool and instructions for you to remove your existing peephole. Then, you’ll place the camera on the outside and connect it to the inside of your door through the peephole. Finally, take the rechargeable battery from the inside and snap it to the other end of the product, and you’re done.
Ring Peephole Cam has a suggested retail price of $129.99, and Ring will offer sales from time to time. If you want to purchase video storage to be able to download and save videos that your cam records, there are two different plans to choose from:
- Ring Protect Basic: You’ll pay $3 for one device per month, and you’ll be able to activate video recording with 60-day video history.
- Ring Protect Plus: For $10 per month for a year, you’ll get video storage for all your devices, plus 24/7 professional monitoring.
If you’re looking for more cameras to install in and around your home, Ring offers bundles starting at $199 for a five-piece kit, all the way up to $589 for a 20-piece kit. Ring provides a variety of indoor and outdoor camera options including products with spotlights and built-in sirens.
- Upgrade your door’s peephole with a 1080p HD video doorbell that enables you to see, hear, and speak to visitors from anywhere.
- Get alerts on your phone, tablet, and PC when anyone knocks on your door, presses the doorbell button, or triggers the motion sensors.
- Peephole Cam is easy to install and comes with all the tools you need to replace your peephole in under 5 minutes; no wiring or drilling...
- Connect your Ring doorbell with Alexa to hear announcements on your compatible Echo device when your doorbell is pressed and see a live view...
- Advanced Motion Detection lets you easily adjust the built-in motion sensors to focus on and detect what’s important to you.
Home Automation Options
Ring provides its own range of smart home products, as well as a Ring Alarm Security System. Because Ring is owned by Amazon, its products are compatible with Alexa. You can also use your Ring Peephole cam with Google Assistant and IFTTT. Here are some other smart home options compatible with the Ring Peephole Cam:
- Door locks: You’ll be able to create your own smart home ecosystem with the addition of smart locks with integrations from Yale, Schlage and Kwikset. Through your Ring app, you’ll be able to lock and unlock your door, and even create individual access codes to allow guests entry when you’re not there.
- Garage door sensor: Ring offers the option to purchase an Ecolink garage door sensor that can alert you if you’ve left your garage door open.
- Smoke and CO monitoring: Ring makes its own carbon monoxide and smoke listener, which can send an alert to your phone when your conventional smoke or CO detector goes off. There are also several smart smoke and CO detectors that are compatible with Ring.
- Smart plugs and lighting: You can purchase smart lighting and compatible smart plugs that can allow you to control power to any device through your Ring app.
The Bottom Line
It seems like sometimes apartment dwellers or rentals can get the short end of the stick when it comes to home security options. The Ring Peephole Cam brings an extra level of security to people living in apartments or renting houses.
The Ring Peephole Cam is easily installed without damaging the door, and is compatible with many different smart home options to create your own ecosystem. Whether you’re simply looking to be alerted to people at the door, or you want to create a full fledged Ring Alarm security system, you have that option with the Ring Peephole Cam.
The only real downside is having to purchase video storage if you’d like to keep recordings of activity. But Ring has made it pretty affordable and almost a no-brainer to go with the $10 monthly subscription that comes with professional monitoring. That’s a tough price to beat for both DIY and traditional home security companies. The Ring Peephole Cam is an affordable way to add extra security and peace of mind to your home.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).