If you're upgrading your home security, your security cameras deserve the most attention. Home security cameras are one of the best deterrents, and most burglars won't attempt to break into a home with visible home security. Floodlight cameras are also a great way to deter would-be thieves. In addition, many have excellent smart home compatibility, making it easy to have a cohesive ecosystem.
ecobee and EZVIZ are two great security providers; EZVIZ was launched in 2013, focusing on various equipment, including NVR (Network Video Recorder), wired cameras, and Wi-Fi cameras. ecobee was initially established in 2007, providing a smart thermostat before branching into home security equipment. They offer cloud service through their EZVIZ cloud platform.
ecobee vs EZVIZ: What do they have in common?
- HD resolution: 1080p HD resolution is provided by EZVIZ and ecobee.
- Voice control: Your security cameras will be compatible with various voice control assistants such as Siri (Apple Homekit) and Amazon Alexa (Echo).
- Two-way talk: Two-way audio is an excellent feature - it allows you to communicate with visitors, delivery people, etc.
- Mobile app: With these mobile apps (available on iOS and Android), you can arm/disarm and monitor your system remotely.
- Video doorbell: EZVIZ and ecobee offer doorbell cameras.
- DIY installation: You'll be responsible for your own installation.
- Indoor security camera options: You'll have various indoor camera options with both providers.
- Flexibility: There are no stringent contracts, etc. You have complete flexibility and control over your security system.
- Affordability: You'll have a variety of low-cost home security system solutions.
- Customizable activity zones: You can customize your motion zones and receive notifications for motion detection.
- Pan/tilt/zoom features: Most cams offer pan/tilt features.
ecobee vs EZVIZ: What are the differences?
- Outdoor cameras: EZVIZ offers more outdoor cameras; ecobee doesn't focus on outdoor cameras.
- Warranty: ecobee offers a three-year warranty on all security equipment.
- 360-degree field of view: Some EZVIZ cameras have a 360-degree field of view.
- Night vision: EZVIZ offers multiple color night vision options.
- Professional monitoring: ecobee offers basic professional monitoring with RapidSOS for $10 monthly. EZVIZ doesn't offer professional monitoring.
- Local storage: You can use local storage with EZVIZ, as most cameras offer Micro SD card compatibility.
- Refurbished hardware: ecobee offers equipment with up to 60% off if you're willing to chance refurbished equipment.
- Smart thermostats: The ecobee Smart Thermostat remains one of their most popular products.
- Smart home security: EZVIZ and ecobee have great options, but EZVIZ offers different products, including smart lights, locks, and air purifiers. With that said, only ecobee offers complete IFTTT (If This Then That) compatibility, and you can use only a few products with EZVIZ.
- Weatherproof cameras: EZVIZ cameras are weatherproof and can withstand freezing temperatures and rain.
ecobee: What you need to know
ecobee is an excellent Canadian provider that launched an ecobee Smart Thermostat before venturing into smart home cameras. All cameras are compatible with a great mobile app (available on iPhone and Android). Let's break down what ecobee has to offer.
The setup process will vary; Wi-Fi cameras are the simplest, though the ecobee Smart Camera will require the mount to be drilled in; if you're purchasing a smart thermostat, you'll require a professional to wire it into your HVAC System. Though there are complete online guides, there are no dedicated professional services.
ecobee offers a variety of equipment:
- Contact motion sensors
- Smart cameras
- Smart thermostats
- Switch + Smart speaker
- Garage door sensors
There's an extensive range of home automation, starting with the ecobee Home app, speakers, and a smart thermostat. Third-party integrations include Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, Apple Homekit, and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: You enjoy a 60% discount if you purchase refurbished cameras. But if you pay retail price, you can expect to pay $249 for a security kit or $99 for an individual camera.
- Monthly fees: A premium subscription is optional, but your capabilities are limited without ecobee Haven. ecobee Haven starts at $5 monthly, but if you want professional monitoring, you'll need to pay $10 monthly for RapidSOS monitoring.
- Refurbished products: ecobee offers a sizeable discount if you're willing to use reconditioned equipment.
- Professional monitoring: For just $10 a month, you can access RapidSOS monitoring.
- Warranty: All equipment has an extended three-year warranty.
- Smart home integration: ecobee has great quality smart thermostats and compatibility with several IFTTT products, such as Apple Homekit and Amazon Alexa.
- Two-way audio: Two-way talk is a great add-on, allowing you to communicate with delivery people and visitors without opening the door - or even being home.
- No professional installation: Despite some complicated wired installations, there's no professional installation offered.
- Cellular backup: ecobee doesn't offer cellular backup, which leaves you vulnerable to power cuts and other issues.
EZVIZ: What you need to know
EZVIZ was established in 2013 and quickly built a reputation as an affordable and flexible provider that doesn't require long-term contracts. Let's break down everything that EZVIZ has to offer.
It's pretty easy to install your new camera - most come with a base mounting kit to fix them to a surface or wall, and wireless/wired options are available. The customer support line can assist, but some customers mention difficulties in getting a timely response.
EZVIZ provides various home security cameras and related accessories. There are around a dozen indoor cameras and just as many outdoor cameras, including doorbell cams, wired cameras, and battery-powered ones. Cheap cameras include the CIC 730p camera for $20, and it's reliable with MicroSD card storage. In general, equipment available includes:
- Indoor cameras
- Outdoor cameras
- Robotic vacuums
- Air purifiers
- Smart lights
- Pet cameras
EZVIZ doesn't offer significant third-party integrations. The only IFTTT integration is Alexa, but there is a small range of smart home products, including smart thermostats, lights, air purifiers, and vacuum cleaners.
- Equipment costs: EZVIZ cameras are inexpensive, with cameras being sold for just $20.
- Monthly fees: If you use local storage, you won't have to pay a monthly fee. You'll pay at least $5.99 for additional storage if you want to use the cloud network.
- Costs: EZVIZ is a low-cost provider.
- Flexibility: There are no long-term contracts required for EZVIZ.
- Variety: You'll have many cameras, including wire-free smart doorbells and hardwired variations.
- Motion sensors: Advanced motion sensors come with customizable motion zones and accurate person detection technology.
- Reputation: EZVIZ has a poor rating with the BBB.
- Video storage limits: While they offer cloud storage, it will cost you (plans start at $5.99 a month), and there's no free cloud storage option (beyond a free 30-day trial) as with other camera brands. While you have the opportunity to use an SD card, this is limited compared to cloud storage.
- No professional monitoring: EZVIZ doesn't provide professional monitoring.
ecobee or EZVIZ?
ecobee and EZVIZ are two great providers; At the same time, EZVIZ offers unique benefits such as great motion sensors, good battery life, and outdoor cameras available for a low price tag, but the customer support is quite poor. EZVIZ overall has a poor reputation, culminating in a bad BBB rating. ecobee has a better reputation for customer service and offers extended warranties for their equipment, despite a more limited range.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.