Personal Safety Devices
While you hope to never need them, personal safety devices are something you should always consider having on hand. Whether it’s just because they make you feel more comfortable in unfamiliar neighborhoods at night or because you want to up your safety levels while traveling abroad, these safety devices can go a long way in easing your worries. There are a lot of options available these days, so what you decide to go with is really a matter of what your needs are, how big or small you want the device to be and how much you are looking to spend.
Here are our favorite personal security devices.
Safety devices you can have at all times
Sabre Personal Safety Kit
Meemoo Self Defense Keychain
If you’re ever in a situation where someone is physically attacking you, a stun gun will be able to disable the perpetrator immediately. This Vipertek model comes in a wide array of colors and doubles as a flashlight, bringing another added element of safety. So, how does a stun gun work? If someone is trying to hurt you, just touching the attacker with the device will deliver a high voltage shock, bringing him to his knees.
Often times, just turning on one of these personal safety gadgets is enough to send the bad guy running because of its intimidating sound.
- Heavy Duty Stun Gun with 350 Lumen Tactical Flashlight
- Type III aircraft grade aluminum alloy body with anti-roll design; 100,000-hour bulb
- Internal Rechargeable Battery - No expensive batteries to buy. Convenient Size: 6.75"
- Lifetime Warranty
One of the simplest ways to stay safer at night is to bring a light with you wherever you go. You’ll want to have a model that is water resistant, just in case you need a light source in the rain or other inclement weather. This model from GearLight is lightweight and small enough to fit in your pocket or bag. The zoomable mode allows you to light up a room or a wide space instantly, giving you full view of anything that may compromise your safety. Its long battery life is another bonus for unexpected emergencies.
No products found.
Sometimes in a dangerous situation, you may not be able to scream or alert anyone nearby that you need help. With a click of a button, this personal alarm by MeeMoo will let off a 130db sound to alert everyone you are in danger. In addition, a one-click light illuminates the area. It easily attaches to a keychain or purse so you can bring this personal alarm wherever you go.
No products found.
Revolar personal safety devices
The Revolver Instinct is a high-tech gadget that will let your loved ones know when you are in danger with just one click. While it does act as a panic button, it brings personal safety to a whole new level by texting contacts your GPS location along with a customizable message. This type of system is perfect for a college student or a professional who travels often. You can even add a 24/7 emergency response service to the device.
Mix style and function with personal security devices you can wear. These necklaces from invisaWear do a lot more than just look fabulous. When you press the back of the charm, it sends a text message to five contacts of your choosing with your GPS location and an alert letting them know that you need help. There’s also an optional 9-1-1 feature that can let authorities know your whereabouts in an emergency.
Good old-fashioned pepper spray is always a good option when you need to disarm an attacker. This model from Sabre is cleverly disguised as a tube of lipstick. In reality, it is a pepper spray that can launch up to 10 feet. Sabre also offers another model that utilizes pepper spray along with a personal security alarm to alert everyone nearby that you’re in danger.
- PERSONAL PROTECTION YOU CAN TRUST: SABRE is the #1 pepper spray brand trusted by police & consumers & a leader in the personal safety...
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER: SABRE's professional-grade OC Spray is backed by our in-house lab testing, guaranteeing maximum heat and stopping...
- PROTECTION AT A SAFE DISTANCE AGAINST MULTIPLE THREATS: Includes a SABRE pepper spray canister with 12 bursts for protection against...
- POWERFUL, DISCREET PROTECTION: The clever lipstick design makes this pepper spray easy to conceal, so others are less likely to know you are...
- STAY SAFE WITH FREE SAFETY TRAINING: Feel secure with every SABRE product; Packaging includes links to free training videos so that, in the...
If you always have your phone by your side, you may consider downloading an app like bSafe to add to your safety routine. Ask a friend to follow you home on the app, which shows your GPS location. Enable video so your contact can see what’s happening at all times. And if you can’t reach your phone, activate the SOS alarm by saying a predetermined phrase to your phone.
Must-have devices for travel
Whether traveling for business or pleasure, it can be easy to get caught off guard while you’re on the road. Here are personal safety gadgets you should consider taking with you on vacation or on business trips.
The infinity scarf
Stay fashionable while keeping your most important belongings hidden away in a secret pocket with this handy infinity scarf. While a thief might go for your purse or your pockets, this scarf serves as a sneaky hiding spot for your passport, credit cards and other identification.
- High Quality, Made to Last: Unlike other travel scarfs that are made of flimsy fabric with a tiny pocket, ours is made from buttery-soft,...
- Your Perfect Travel Companion: The must-have airplane travel accessory for female travelers who want a safe place to store their passports...
- Travel Made Safe & Easy: No more worrying about pickpockets or misplacing your passport as the hidden pocket is virtually invisible and...
- No Purse or Bag Needed: Go hands-free with our infinity pocket scarf that protects your valuables and also frees up your hands so you can...
- No Boring Designs Here: We design all of our own textile patterns so that you can wear a travel scarf that is unique as you are! The...
Great for use at a hotel or Airbnb, add an extra level of security with an additional lock on any door. It can be easily installed or removed at your convenience to give you added safety and peace of mind. You can even add it to a drawer where you may want to keep valuables.
- Addalock The Original Travel Door Lock: A home and travel must-have, this interior door lock instantly adds security to any space and works...
- Easy To Install: This door lock security device installs in seconds - no tools required - and instantly adds safety, security, and privacy...
- On-The-Go Safety: A travel essential for women and men, this portable door security device easily fits into your bag; Install this door...
- Authentic Addalock: The original travel safety door lock, Addalock features a metal body engraved with the Addalock logo and comes in a red...
- 20 Years of Experience: The creators of the original Addalock and Burglabar, Rishon Enterprises Inc. is dedicated to promoting safety,...
For those road trips when the unexpected can happen, it pays off to have an emergency kit like this one from Lifeline. It includes items you will need if you get stranded in your car such as jumper cables, but also includes must-haves like a flashlight and first aid kit.
No products found.
Portable door bar
For extra peace of mind while you’re away, these security door bars fit to most sliding and hinged doors. When you want to make sure your hotel or Airbnb has an added layer of security, this is a simple and cost effective addition you can take anywhere. (For home use - you can read our guide on securing sliding glass doors.)
- FEATURES.Brink’s Door Security Bar has a sturdy construction and features a non-marring top yoke and a pivoting padded foot
- SECURITY.Ideal for anywhere you need additional security: apartment, home, office, or even bringing it with you while traveling. The...
- SETUP. Easy to install and remove, simply prop the bar under the door knob or between the sliding or hinged doors for extra security. The...
- IDEAL USAGE. Great for home, dorm room, travel and on-the-go
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST - A global leader in security-related products and services, the Brink's name is synonymous with top quality products...
USB dog tags
What happens if a thief takes your wallet while you’re traveling overseas? This dog tag with built in USB from Verbatim will allow you to keep a digital version of your most important travel and personal documents as backup.
- USB 2.0 Interface
- Authentic dog tag look and feel, bead chain included
- Durable SIP (System in Package) design – encapsulates and protects electronic components from water, dust and debris
- Drive stores conveniently in back of tag when not in use
- Verbatim has been a leader in data storage technology since 1969, and guarantees this product with a Lifetime limited warranty and technical...
These personal safety devices won’t be too tough on your budget and they will give you an added level of security at home and abroad. While you may not think you will ever need one of these gadgets, if you do you’ll be glad you made the investment.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Participation in these programs helps us keep the site up, and to continue to help you find great products. Our editorial process is in no way impacted by partnerships.
About the Author
Erin is a freelance video producer and writer based out of Florida. She works with major retail companies and digital startups as a brand storyteller. When Erin's not writing, you can catch her scuba diving and spending time with her dog (not at the same time).