When it comes to keeping your apartment safe, the first thing you should take into consideration is your front door entry point. Investing in locks to beef up apartment door security can help make your apartment more secure by preventing thieves from getting in easily. Whether it’s a simple swing lock or a high-tech smart lock, here are 5 apartment door security devices you’ll want to take a look at adding for extra security.
Our 5 Favorite Door Locks for Apartments
#1 Pick: Cranach Swing Lock Security Door Lock
When you want to beef up your apartment door security with little effort or cost, a swing lock is a tried and true option. This model sustains 600 lb. of force. It’s also convenient because you can still open a door to see who’s on the other side without compromising your safety. If there are any toddlers or young children in the house, it doubles as an added safety feature to ensure little ones don’t open the door to strangers. A swing lock is a simple safety improvement, but we’ve ranked it at the top of the list because it’s fail-proof and it’s rare that any landlord would have an issue with you installing it.
How it works: Just install at the top of your door frame. The steel ball positioning holds the locking arm in place for easy opening and locking.
- Solid lock base: The company upgraded from its original model by thickening the lock base for even more durability.
- Aluminum construction: This high-quality premium solid aluminum alloy means no dents, scratches or rusting.
- Easy installation: It’s a pretty simple addition to your door and you should be able to install it with a few included screws in just minutes.
- Home Security & Toddler Proof: Swing bar door locks are security locking devices for swing-in doors, allow people inside the room to open...
- Durable Construction: Door latches are constructed from premium solid aluminium alloy with beautiful polishing and finish to complement your...
- Advanced Craft Features: CRANACH Home security door latch lock features steel ball positioning which is a unique locking design that holds...
- Easy Installation: CRANACH door reinforcement lock has a long, swing bar, which folds over the closed door. Installation is quick and easy...
- Worry-Free Purchase: Secure home by CRANACH, swing bar door locks defend your home safe, not only limit door opening for identification and...
#2 Pick: Addalock Security Door Lock
This is one of those apartment door security devices anyone can use pretty much anywhere. Whether you don’t plan to stay in your apartment for long or you just don’t want to deal with any installation, this is a great tool to have. The best part about the Addalock is its portability — you can bring it with you if you’re staying at a hotel or somewhere unfamiliar and still help prevent a break in. It’s also great as a dorm room security option.
How it works: You just insert the claws of the tool into the strike plate on the door. Close the door, and insert the red handle into the metal rod into the triangular hole of the body of the lock. It keeps your door from opening whether it’s locked or unlocked.
- Portability: There are no tools needed, and you can bring this lock with you anywhere.
- Universal system: The Addalock will work on most standard doors, which means you can rest assured it’s likely to fit wherever you’re staying and makes it great for renters.
- Durable: It’s made from chrome plated carbon steel, so it can stand up to some serious wear and tear.
- The original portable door lock: Addalock is a portable door lock that can be used on most doors that are hinged and swing inwards. Our home...
- Safety at home: The Addalock door lock provides additional safety and privacy while you’re home. This lock installs in seconds without...
- Safety on the go: Take it with you when you travel whether you are in a hotel, staying at an AirBNB or any other short term rental. Keep one...
- Authentic Addalock: The Addalock Original Portable Door Lock has a metal body that is engraved with the add-A-lock logo and comes with a red...
- Who we are: We are Rishon Enterprises Inc., the creators of The Original Addalock and the Burglabar. We have focused our time and efforts on...
#3 Pick: Kwikset Kevo
This smart lock is the perfect combination of an affordable price point and solid performance. With the Kevo, your cell phone becomes the key that opens your apartment door. If you’re one of those people whose phone runs out of battery more often than you’d like, don’t fret. There’s also a traditional lock you can use. It installs over your existing lock, which is really important for people living in apartment rentals.
How it works: Kwikset allows you to track who comes in and out of your apartment using bluetooth technology. That means if you’re anxious to know when your kids are home from school, you’ll get a notification. The Kevo also works with an array of other smart home products like Alexa and Ring video doorbell. You can issue an e-key to anyone and track when they enter and leave.
- Touch to open bluetooth smart lock: This lock will know when you’re approaching the door, so you don’t have to fumble for your phone. You just have to tap the lock for entry.
- Location aware technology: Kevo knows whether you and your phone are inside or outside. So you don’t have to worry about walking up to your front door from the inside and risk unlocking the door for strangers.
- Advanced SmartKey security: It’s manufactured to resist lock picking and lock bumping.
- Fob enabled: If you or a loved one doesn’t have a smartphone to get in, you can purchase fobs separately for entry.
- Your smartphone is now your key touch to open convenience with the 2nd generation. If you wish to perform a system reset, press and hold the...
- Kevo 2nd gen now works with Alexa voice commands (requires Kevo Plus hub, sold separately for $99 via Kevo App)
- Remote lock access & monitoring requires Kevo Plus hub, sold separately for $99 via Kevo App
- 3rd Gen Kevo App provides faster and more reliable connection. Smaller and sleeker metal interior with improved install experience. Now get...
- Compatible with iPhone 4S or higher and select Android 5.0 or higher devices
#4 Pick: The August Smart Lock Pro+Connect
This lock also installs over an existing deadbolt, which means your landlord shouldn’t have any issue with this added security measure. It brings apartment door security to the next level. You can lock and unlock your door with your phone, and even tell Alexa to lock your door. You can track who is coming and going with an easy-to-use app and Door Sense technology tells you if your door is securely closed. You can also keep your existing lock and keys because the smart lock will attach easily to your current setup.
How it works: August uses Bluetooth Energy technology to allow your door to open and close. Its Door Sense module will send a notification to your app if you’ve forgotten to shut the door, or if the door is ajar.
- Automatic locking: When you approach, August will automatically unlock your door. When you leave, it automatically locks for you.
- Provides keyless entry for others: When you’re on vacation or need to give someone access in an emergency, you can issue a key via the smart phone app.
- Smart home integration: Whether you’re a fan of Alexa or other August smart home items, there are many different products August works with to make your home even smarter.
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere..Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right...
- Always know who is coming and going.
- Keep your existing lock and keys.
- Features Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock.
#5 Pick: The EverPlus Home Security Door Lock Review
This is a pretty simple lock, but it packs a nice punch. Able to withstand 800 lb. of pressure, you can rest assured it will deter thieves from kicking the door down to gain entry. It also acts as a child safety feature that prevents small children from opening the door to strangers.
How it works: It’s spring-loaded design makes it simple to use. You simply pinch the lock using your finger and thumb, and pull it to the right toward you for the lock to open.
- Easy installation: You don’t have to worry about a cumbersome installation process with this lock. It only requires a drill, 1/8 in. drill bit, and a screwdriver.
- Strength: Burglars are no match against this lock that can withstand 800 lb. of pressure. It’s 12 times stronger than your average deadbolt.
- Simple to use: This is a great match of strength and speed. If you need to lock or unlock the door quickly, you can still do that with this unique design.
- [Upgrade Security Design]: 3" Stop metal construction home security door lock with 4 screws designed to withstand 800Ibs of force, 12 times...
- [Easy to Install]: Use a power screwdriver and drill to mount EVERPLUS security door lock on your door frame, finish DIY this door lock...
- [Easy to Use]: Place index finger on top of door lock security and thumb on bottom and slide lock away from the base plate along with the...
- [Home Security & Childproofing]: EVERPLUS child proof door lock adds extra security measures for toddlers while you aways on business. This...
- [Good Service]: Secure home by EVERPLUS, home security door lock defend your home safe, not only prevent break-in but also easily opens when...
The Bottom Line on Apartment Door Security
When you’re looking to beef up your apartment door security, it’s important to figure out what locks are best for your lifestyle. If you live with multiple people and are smart phone savvy, a smart lock might be the smart way to go. Tracking who comes and goes and when is an added bonus you don’t get with your average lock. But, if you want to avoid installing any apartment door security devices, getting a more traditional lock may be easier for your lifestyle. A simple swing lock or portable door lock might fit your lifestyle best. Make sure to check with your landlord before you purchase anything — you’ll want to make sure that whatever you get will be acceptable to install on your door and you definitely want to avoid paying any fees for installing an unauthorized lock.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.