If you're looking for a new home security system, there are plenty of options to consider. There are dozens of home security companies for homeowners; two key options are ADT and Protect America Home Security.
ADT is one of the oldest home security companies with over 100 years in the business, offering professional installation and monitoring services; Protect America is a Texan security provider covering all 50 states. They started in 1992 and have grown exponentially since then. Their key offerings include non-cellular budget plans and excellent customer service.
ADT vs Protect America: What do they have in common?
- Lifetime warranty: Both Protect America and ADT offer a lifetime warranty, which is quite rare.
- Mobile app: Both providers offer remote monitoring via a mobile app; you'll receive notifications if your alarm system is tripped and you can arm/disarm your system remotely.
- High-quality equipment: Excellent security cameras and equipment are offered by both companies.
- Smart home options: Z-wave compatibility is offered by both so that you can use the system with Amazon's Alexa, Apple TV, and more.
- Video doorbells: A doorbell camera is an excellent way to monitor who comes to your home; you can also use it to communicate with delivery people and make it seem like you're home even if you're not.
- Landline monitoring: You can purchase landline monitoring with both providers.
- Long-term contracts: You'll need a three-year contract at a minimum if you want to purchase a security package via these providers.
ADT vs Protect America: What are the differences?
- Installation: ADT only offers professional installation, but Protect America offers DIY installation if you choose.
- Price match: Protect America offers a price matching service, but it's unclear what these terms are.
- Moneyback guarantee: ADT offers a six-month moneyback guarantee.
- Monthly costs: Protect America is much cheaper than ADT Security, particularly for landline monitoring, with monthly costs starting at just $19.99 versus ADT's $34.99
- Activation fee: Protect America doesn't charge an activation fee, but ADT does.
ADT: What you need to know
ADT offers some of the fastest response times in the industry, with multiple monitoring centers throughout the USA. But they also provide excellent equipment, installation options, and more. The familiar blue logo is a common feature worldwide, and very few security systems enjoy the same reputation as ADT.
It's not feasible to have a DIY ADT system - you'll need to pay $99-$299 for an ADT agent to come to your residence and complete a consultation before arranging your professional installation. You'll also be guided through how your new system works - you can ask any questions during this time, so you're fully confident in how it all works.
You can choose from lots of equipment, but the basic system comprises:
- Motion detectors
- Key fob
- Window decals
- Yard signs
However, you can buy individual add-on equipment, such as security cameras, on an a la carte basis.
- Light control
- Smart thermostats
- Touchscreen control panel
- Outdoor security cameras
- Smart door locks
- Garage control
- Automated plugs
- Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Flood sensors
- Glass break sensors
ADT can offer you an array of home automation tools, including safety equipment, smart door locks, smart thermostats, etc. ADT also has Z-wave compatibility.
If you choose ADT, you'll have several costs to consider, including:
- Equipment costs: Equipment costs aren't paid upfront with ADT, they're worked into your monthly fee, but the cheapest system costs $850.
- Installation costs: Installation costs start at $99 but may be more for more complex installations.
- Monthly costs: The monitoring fees will set you back $35.99-$57.99 a month.
- Reputation: ADT is one of the most popular providers globally, with an excellent reputation. You have the peace of mind of being in safe hands.
- Easy installation: If you'd rather not DIY, ADT could be for you.
- Customer service inconsistencies: ADT has enjoyed an excellent reputation based partly on its superb customer support, but customer service can be inconsistent since third-party companies now operate under the ADT brand.
- Add-on extras: The main packages are inexpensive, but they can quickly become unaffordable if you buy several add-ons.
- Mobile app issues: The app glitches sometimes, which is disappointing. A company of this size should have a better app.
Protect America Home Security: What you need to know
Now that we've had a look at ADT let's take a look at Protect America. Protect America offers great hardware and self-install options. They are reliable with friendly sales representatives.
While you can pay $250 for a professional install, Protect America systems are designed to be suitable for DIY installation. The customer service line is responsive if you need assistance.
Protect America provides a strong variety of equipment, including window sensors, safety equipment, and security cameras. Environmental detectors and smoke detectors are also available.
The basic package
- Touchscreen control panel
- Window/door sensors
- Motion sensors
- Yard signs
Additional available products include:
- Security cameras (indoor and outdoor)
- Video doorbell
- Flood detector
- Smoke detector
- Medical alert pendant
Protect America offers cellular monitoring and home automation options security systems, including garage door controllers, lights, automated plugs, and smart locks.
There are various costs to consider when you sign up for a new system; here are the costs of a Protect America system:
- Equipment costs: Some basic equipment is included in the security packages without upfront fees. You can purchase individual add-ons separately.
- Installation costs: While Protect America's systems are designed to be self-installed, Protect America will install your security system for $250.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees include professional monitoring. Landline monitoring starts at $19.99 and broadband/cellular monitoring at $41.99.
- Installation: Installation can be completed on a DIY basis. You have the best of both worlds - professional installation is available, but DIY installation is on offer too.
- Hardware: The equipment quality is excellent and offered with lifetime warranties, giving you total peace of mind.
- Finance: There are a variety of finance options.
- Mobile app: The mobile app experiences glitches and can randomly shut down, resulting in poor reviews online.
- Price: For a DIY system, Protect America is quite pricey.
ADT or Protect America?
You can't go wrong with either provider, but they have key benefits. Protect America offers reliable and cheap equipment packages if you're looking for landline monitoring, with a lifetime equipment warranty and reasonable monitoring costs. But if you're looking for a more advanced security system with smart home features, you should look at ADT. ADT has a more impressive reputation overall.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.