If you're looking for a new home security system, it's no surprise that you've come across these names. ADT home security is a renowned provider with nearly 150 years in the business - they are best known for providing reliable, professional monitoring and excellent quality security cameras.
Xfinity Home Security is part of entertainment giant Comcast; Comcast is the USA's largest cable provider and offers everything from internet, phone and TV services to home security systems. One of the most significant selling points is to bundle your purchase with a home security system and other Comcast services.
ADT and Comcast Xfinity: What do they have in common?
- Pricing: ADT and Comcast are premium price providers.
- Reputation: Comcast and ADT are equally well-known; while ADT wins in longevity, more people have cable TV than home security.
- Mobile app: Regardless of your choice, you'll have a mobile app that allows you to arm/disarm your system and monitor security cameras remotely.
- Professional monitoring: These security providers are the whole package - you'll get professional monitoring with reliable monitoring centers ready to respond in case of a crisis.
- Installation: The installation process is smooth, with both offering professional installation for the same price (starting at $99).
ADT and Comcast Xfinity: What are the differences?
- Smart home automation: ADT has a growing smart home range, with third-party automation such as Z-wave technology, Amazon Alexa, and Nest thermostat. Xfinity barely has basic smart home products and isn't compatible with third-party integrations.
- Customer support: Comcast's customer support is relatively poor. ADT has its challenges but ranks better in this area overall.
- Connection problems: Some customer reviews report that Xfinity's alarm system suffers from connection breaks, though this seems rare.
- Bundle pricing: ADT only offers home security, but Xfinity can offer great bundle deals to help you save money.
ADT: What you need to know
ADT is one of the most recognized global brands, offering some of the best home security systems in the industry and multiple monitoring centers to help you in a crisis. ADT has more than 7 million customers, so you know you're in safe hands.
You can't install an ADT system yourself; it's too complex. But don't worry - an ADT representative will visit you at home to discuss your needs before arranging an installation date; you'll be walked through the functionalities of your new security system.
You can choose from a variety of equipment, but the core system consists of:
- Motion sensors
- Window sensors
- Door sensors
- Key fob
- Window decals
- Yard signs
However, you can buy several individual add-ons, such as security cameras, on an a la carte basis.
- Control panel
- Outdoor security cameras
- Smart locks
- Garage control
- Light control
- Smart thermostats
- Automated plugs
- Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Flood sensors
- Glass break sensors
ADT offers a dedicated range of smart home items such as smart locks, thermostats, garage door controls, smart lights, and Z-wave compatibilities such as Alexa integration and Nest thermostat.
If you decide to purchase an ADT system, you'll have several costs to consider, such as:
- Equipment costs: With ADT, the equipment costs are included in the upfront/installation costs. The value of the equipment starts at $850 depending on the equipment you choose, but you won't pay this in one go.
- Installation costs: Depending on the package you choose, installation costs vary from $99-$299.
- Monthly costs: Monthly monitoring fees range from $35.99 to $57.99 per month.
- Reputation: ADT is one of the largest security companies in the world, indicating you won't have to jump into the unknown when you're signing up for a system with them.
- Easy installation: You won't have any installation concerns; a professional will do everything for you. You'll have a home consultation to help you understand your security needs, followed by a professional installation.
- Customer service inconsistencies: ADT is known for excellent customer service, but third-party companies operate under the ADT name in some places, causing varying experiences for customers.
- Add-on extras: The base packages for ADT are affordable, but extras can add up quickly.
- Mobile app issues: The app glitches occasionally, so it's not great. A company of this size should have a better app.
Comcast Xfinity - What you need to know
Comcast offers monitored systems with professional installation; it's pretty affordable for existing Comcast customers who can bundle their services to receive a discount on their entertainment services.
A Comcast Xfinity representative will come to your home and install your alarm system, and the installation fee is $99.
Xfinity offers various types of equipment and security packages, including a base package and upgrades. The basic system consists of:
- Touch screen control panel
- Window sensors
- Door sensors
- Pet-friendly motion sensors
- Cellular backup
- Yard signs.
Additional products available are:
- HD Xfinity security camera
- Zen thermostat
- Smart light controller
- Smoke alarm
Xfinity offers a decent range of smart home products, but it's disadvantaged against ADT and other competitors due to the lack of Z-wave compatibility. Let's take a look at the automation available with Comcast Xfinity:
- Yale door locks
Another problem with this area is that Xfinity doesn't offer two-way talk or video doorbells.
If you decide to purchase an Xfinity system, you'll have several costs to consider:
- Equipment costs: You'll choose between upfront and monthly payments; your equipment will be more expensive if you pay monthly. Equipment costs start at $350 if you pay upfront or $14.95 a month as a monthly fee. You can also include your installation fee in your monthly payments.
- Monthly costs: The price may vary depending on where you live; because the service fees vary by zip code, it's ideal to speak with a Comcast representative near you for an accurate quote.
Here are two examples of service costs:
- Home Security Plan: $40/month - This package provides constant professional monitoring services, cellular backup, live video monitoring, mobile app, and Xfinity X1 compatibility.
- Home Security Plus Plan: $50/month - All of the above, recording, motion-activated cameras, and AI with vehicle and pet detection, which avoids false alarms.
- Professional monitoring: Xfinity home is pricey, but the professional monitoring is worth it, offering solid peace of mind.
- Bundle options: You can save money by bundling your services into one monthly fee. You can purchase cable, security, and internet at the same time.
- Satisfaction guarantee: If you don't enjoy your Xfinity services, you can cancel for a refund within 30 days.
- Pricing: Comcast Xfinity is an expensive service provider, and some reviewers complain of auto-renewal and hidden fees.
- Reliability issues: Xfinity customers report that connection breaks are an occasional issue.
- Poor customer service: Customer support needs improvement; our SecurityNerd struggled to get hold of customer services; when they finally answered, it was clear that the representative didn't fully understand the product.
ADT or Comcast Xfinity?
Homeowners looking for a security solution that allows internet service, TV, and home security to be combined in one easy monthly fee, then it's worth taking a chance on Comcast Xfinity. ADT stands out as the best for most customers seeking a home security system. However, ADT offers more reliable service with better customer support and a six-month moneyback guarantee; ADT also doesn't charge hidden fees.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.