Both SimpliSafe and abode are DIY home security companies with fair prices, great hardware and a ton of flexibility. SimpliSafe and abode are ideal for homeowners and renters who shy away from long term commitments but still want a top-notch security system without the sky-high costs involved with traditional companies.
SimpliSafe boasts over three million customers who can choose from pre-bundled packages, or create a custom security system from scratch. SimpliSafe scores high in customization and value, providing sleek equipment at a fraction of the price of other companies.
Abode’s smart home capabilities and pricing are what makes it stand out in the DIY home security world. There is still room to grow with customer service as well as hardware options. When weighing abode vs. Simplisafe, we choose SimpliSafe for its high marks in everything from customer service to flexibility. Here's a little more info to help you make your pick.
|Overall rating||3.5 out of 5||4 out of 5|
|Monthly Monitoring Cost||$6 to $20 per month||$14.99 to $24.99 per month|
|Upfront Cost||Bundles starting at $183||Bundles starting at $199|
|Money-back Guarantee||30 days||60 days|
|Contract Length||None required||None required|
|Installation||DIY or Pro ($99 fee)||DIY or Pro ($79 fee)|
What do they have in common?
- Simple setup: Both options offer customers an easy setup and installation process that can be completed in less than an hour. Both companies also offer the option of professional installation if you don't want to DIY.
- Smart home integration: SimpliSafe and abode both offer smart home options that can help connect your home’s smart products—like lights, locks and thermostat—to the security system. It is important to note that when deciding on abode vs Simplisafe, abode comes out on top in the home automation department.
- No contracts: Unlike traditional home security companies, you won’t have to enter into any long-term contracts in order to purchase and use SimpliSafe or abode equipment.
- Smartphone apps: Both abode and SimpliSafe offer smartphone apps that allow customers to arm and disarm the system while also viewing live streaming video.
- Two-way communication: Both companies allow customers two-way communication integrated into the camera models. This means not only can you see what’s happening on the other side of the camera, but you can speak to and listen to someone within its range.
- Subscription plans required to store video: Both SimpliSafe and abode require video storage subscriptions for customers to store videos captured by the security cameras.
What are the differences?
- Indoor-only vs. all weather cameras: Although abode is advertising an outdoor smart camera “coming soon,” there is currently no outdoor camera available from abode. SimpliSafe offers an outdoor kit for its camera that allows customers to capture video outside the home as well as inside.
- Guarantee length: If money back guarantees are important to you, SimpliSafe will beat out abode. SimpliSafe offers one of the most generous guarantees in the business, with 60 days to test out the system to see if you like it. Abode only offers 30 days.
- Mobile app reliability: SimpliSafe’s mobile app far outperforms abode’s app. The abode app has ratings in the App Store and Google Play around 2 stars, with users reporting lags and buggy app performance. SimpliSafe's ratings are 4.8 and 4.7 respectively.
- Smart motion detection offering: Abode offers standard motion detection with its cameras and motion detectors. However, SimpliSafe takes it a step further, with its cameras’ ability to tell the difference between a person and a pet.
- Customer service: SimpliSafe outperforms abode in the area of customer service too. While our Security Nerds had a pleasant experience with both companies, there are plenty of online reviews that complain about long wait times with abode.
Abode: What you need to know
The abode security system is a stellar choice for customers looking for an array of smart home options to add to their home. It has more home automation capabilities than your average security system, including integrations with Z-Wave, Alexa, Nest and CUE among others. On top of that, abode offers flexibility with hardware and professional monitoring, which is another hallmark of most popular DIY companies.
- Flexibility: When deciding on a security plan with abode, customers aren’t stuck with predetermined plans or bundles that they don’t want to pay for. Whether you want to self monitor or professional monitor, you’ll get the choice. You can also choose from hardware bundles, or start from scratch without having to commit to a long-term contract.
- Home automation: If you’re looking for a DIY security system with superior smart home options, abode is a frontrunner, with several choices including Google Assistant, HomeKit, and Alexa.
- Money Back Guarantee: Abode offers a 30-day trial period. If you decide abode isn’t for you, you can change your mind and all you’ll have to do is pay for shipping.
- Price: This is an ideal choice for thrifty consumers, with low upfront costs and competitive hardware prices.
- Customer service: This is an area where abode certainly has room to grow. While our Security Nerd had a great experience with abode customer service, online reviews reveal otherwise, citing long wait times.
- Basic starter kits: Compared with other DIY companies, you don’t get a lot of bang for your buck with Abode's pre-packaged bundles. For example, it only includes one motion sensor and one door sensor, so customers with more area to protect will need to add on and so will end up with a much higher equipment bill than you expected.
- No outdoor camera: Although abode lists its new outdoor camera as “coming soon,” it is not yet available to purchase. With all of the smart home automation options, it is surprising that this is not yet an option for abode customers.
SimpliSafe: What you need to know
SimpliSafe is a leader in the DIY home security world, and for good reason. With this company, you truly get to create your own ideal security system from start to finish, without the hassle of contracts, or purchasing equipment you don’t need. We also like the idea that customers can choose professional monitoring if needed, so you aren’t totally doing away with perks of a traditional security system if you don’t want to. And with a 60-day money back guarantee, there isn’t much of a risk with giving it a try.
- Flexibility: SimpliSafe allows its customers maximum flexibility from start to finish. Choose the equipment you need, and whether you decide to have a subscription plan to save video or professional monitoring.
- Cost: You can score the highest tier bundle and it still comes in under $500 with SimpliSafe. If you want a system with professional monitoring without a long-term contract, this is a cost effective choice.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: SimpliSafe offers what is likely the best money back guarantee on the market: 60 days. If you don’t like the system, you can return it, and the company even pays for shipping, unlike abode.
- Newer equipment incompatible with old equipment: You’ll have to make sure if you purchase newer equipment from SimpliSafe and want it to work with your older SimpliSafe equipment, that the equipment will work together. There are instances where you must purchase all new equipment for the system to work together.
- Outdoor camera: SimpliSafe has a modification for its indoor camera that allows it to be used outside. However, it is an underwhelming outdoor camera when compared to other DIY companies' offerings. It is still a step up from abode, which does not offer any outdoor camera option currently.
Read more in our full review of SimpliSafe
Which should you choose?
SecurityNerd picks SimpliSafe because it edges out abode in all areas except for smart home integrations. We like the SimpliSafe hardware and app better, and both companies are competitive in their pricing. SimpliSafe is ideal for customers looking for the best of both worlds. You’ll have the option of professional monitoring and professional installation, or you can choose to do it all yourself.
While abode’s smart home integrations come out on top, its lack of outdoor camera, mediocre customer service and buggy app are reasons why SimpliSafe is a clear cut winner. That said, abode is still a strong choice for consumers who want a DIY system compatible with multiple third party smart home options.
When deciding on abode vs. Simplisafe, you likely can’t go wrong with either of two companies, as they both provide maximum flexibility at a reasonable price. Your ultimate choice will depend on your priorities and how you wish to protect your home.
Made your call?
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.