If you're considering upgrading your security system, you'd be wise to pay attention to security cameras. Your security cameras will form the backbone of your security system. There are many camera providers; Abode and EZVIZ are two popular providers we'll be looking at today.
EZVIZ is a US-based provider launched in 2013 with various equipment, primarily focused on Wi-Fi cameras supported by their cloud storage platform, EZVIZ cloud. EZVIZ has plenty of customers and over 12 million USD in sales.
Abode was launched in 2014 by ex-ADT executives aiming to bring affordable, quality security equipment to the masses flexibly. Let's take a look at what they can do for you.
Abode vs EZVIZ: What do they have in common?
- Video doorbells: Doorbell cameras are a great basic way to keep your home safe and communicate with delivery people; Abode and EZVIZ provide video doorbells.
- Wireless cameras: Many are wireless, making them easier to use and install than other camera types.
- Mobile app: There is a free app available for each provider; the apps allow you to manage and arm/disarm your alarm system. You can also use two-way talk and view a live feed via the app, and receive motion-activated push notifications.
- Camera resolution: Each provider's camera largely comprises 1080p HD video resolution.
- Night vision: Abode and EZVIZ offer cameras with color night vision included.
- Outdoor security cameras: You can purchase weatherproof outdoor security cameras.
- Flexibility: You don't need to take out a long-term contract; you'll have full flexibility over your chosen system.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you can use voice prompts to control your system.
- Customer support: Customer service will be responsive if you require troubleshooting or assistance.
Abode vs EZVIZ: What are their differences?
- Professional monitoring: Abode offers professional monitoring; EZVIZ doesn't.
- Smart home integrations: Abode and EZVIZ have many of the same smart home integrations, but EZVIZ has a few more such as air purifiers.
- Professional installation: Abode offers professional installation in some areas.
- Smart thermostat: Abode is compatible with Nest thermostat.
- Pricing: EZVIZ cameras are much cheaper.
Abode: What you need to know
Abode is a great choice for your smart home security system; it's a flexible option that provides smart home options, including Z-wave compatibility with products such as Amazon Alexa, Apple Homekit, and Nest.
Abode provides affordable professional monitoring, making it one of the best home security companies you could choose.
Abode has some straightforward packages, but you can also buy equipment individually. For example, some equipment includes:
- Gateway panel (or iota control panel for an extra $30)
- Door and window sensors
- Motion sensors
- Key fob
- Glass break sensors
- Flood detector
- Power switches
- Occupancy sensor
- Temperature sensor
- Smoke detectors
- Wide-angle motion camera
- Abode indoor security camera
Abode manufactures some smart home devices but also has Z-wave third-party integrations such as Apple Homekit, Alexa, Nest, and Google Home. In addition, Abode offers smart security products such as smoke alarms and smart locks.
Everything you require for a quick installation will be provided; installation typically takes around 30-60 minutes. But if you're not inclined to DIY, you can opt for professional installation.
- Equipment cost: You'll need to buy a basic starter kit; they're reasonably priced. The Abode Iota is the most popular, you have to buy one of the two starter kits, but both aren't too expensive, costing less than $300.
- Monthly costs: If you monitor your system, you'll only pay for cellular backup $8 per month. But if you require professional monitoring, you'll pay $20 a month.
- Flexibility: You have full control over your Abode system; you can select whatever you want - it's up to you whether that's self-monitoring, professional monitoring, etc.
- Price: This is an ideal choice for customers on a budget, with competitive equipment costs, low upfront outlay, and no commitment.
EZVIZ: What you need to know
EZVIZ launched in 2013, delivering cheap security cameras and home automation without requiring long-term contracts. EZVIZ cameras are low-cost but provide proper protection and crisp video quality. Let's take a look at what EZVIZ offers you.
You'll have everything you need for your new camera system; most include a base mount (which you'll need to fix to a wall or surface). Power over Ethernet, wireless, and wired options are available. You can troubleshoot your equipment online or contact the customer service team. The customer service line is responsive and helpful.
EZVIZ provides you with multiple options for your security camera system; several home security cameras are on offer, with around ten indoor cameras (hardwired and wireless) and a dozen outdoor security cameras, including video doorbells. The most affordable security camera available is the CIC 730p camera, which is around $20. It provides adequate picture quality and MicroSD card compatibility. You can purchase an HD camera for about $40.
Equipment offered by EZVIZ includes:
- Indoor and outdoor cameras
- Air purifiers
- Smart lights
- Pet cameras
EZVIZ isn't the best for a smart home ecosystem; Amazon Alexa is about as good as it gets. But EZVIZ has a line of smart home accessories, including door locks, thermostats, and smart lights.
- Equipment costs: EZVIZ cameras are cheap, and IP cameras start from just $20.
- Monthly fees: If you use local storage, there are no monthly fees. There's no free cloud storage facility, so cloud storage will cost $5.99 per month.
- Costs: EZVIZ is one of the most affordable providers.
- Flexibility: There are no long-term contracts required.
- Motion sensors: Advanced motion detection technology, including person detection and customizable motion zones.
- Variety: You'll have many cameras to choose from, including wire-free smart doorbells and hardwired variations.
- Video storage limits: While they offer cloud storage, it will cost you (plans start at $5.99 a month), and there's no free cloud storage facility. You can use an SD card; some cameras aren't compatible.
- No professional monitoring: You can't purchase professional monitoring from EZVIZ.
Abode or EZVIZ?
If you're looking for a smart camera provider that'll save you some money, you should consider EZVIZ first. They offer smart cameras with advanced motion detection, cheap cloud storage, good battery life, and a wide field of view.
But they're not as good for providing a comprehensive security system; if you're looking for a low-cost provider with the above plus professional monitoring and installation (and don't mind paying a small premium), then Abode is one of the best home security systems for you.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.