If you're in the market for the best home security system, it's no surprise that you've come across these two names!
SimpliSafe is a Boston-based home security company that boasts over 3 million customers in America, they're known for flexibility, easy setup, and low setup cost.
Honeywell Security is a massive company with branches in aerospace and building technologies in addition to their home safety solutions - their offerings in this area include a range of DIY security equipment with some features that pack a punch.
Both are brilliant providers with an array of products for your home security system - today, we'll be examining both in detail to help you decide which best meets your needs.
SimpliSafe vs. Honeywell Security - what do they have in common?
Both SimpliSafe and Honeywell offer home security systems and products to help keep your home safe.
The equipment they use is what sets them apart, but there are some key similarities, too.
- Mobile App: Both companies offer a comprehensive app that streamlines and simplifies your home security, giving you an easy way to view everything you need in one place in their in-app monitoring centers.
- Smart Home features: Both companies are compatible with several home automation providers such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- DIY installation: It is typically possible to install products offered by both companies without the use of any professional installation.
- Water leak and freeze detectors: Both companies offer products that can detect water leaks or freezing - particularly useful if you're at work or on vacation. This can potentially avoid thousands of dollars worth of damage to your home.
SimpliSafe vs. Honeywell - What are their differences?
- Outdoor cameras: Simplisafe doesn't offer outdoor cameras, while Honeywell offers a variety of security cameras that include outdoor cameras.
- Professional monitoring: SimpliSafe offers a monitoring service for those who want it - the details of which we'll explore shortly. Honeywell offers a DIY home security system - meaning no professional monitoring.
- Professional installation: While both could be installed on a DIY basis, Honeywell security doesn't give you the option of professional installation, but SimpliSafe does.
Honeywell Security: What you need to know
Honeywell is a great choice if you're looking for a DIY setup with great features like facial recognition and smart home options. You can also make use of Amazon's Alexa, along with Z-wave products and Google Assistant depending upon the equipment you choose for your home. This is a self-monitoring system, so you must be comfortable being ultimately responsible for your own security.
Unlike Simplisafe, Honeywell only offers DIY installation, which customers report is a simple process.
Each part of Honeywell's system is effectively purchased separately, though the company does offer a starter kit. Equipment costs vary from $30 for a single wi-fi doorbell camera to $350+ for a more comprehensive security system.
- Equipment costs: Customers purchase all equipment up front with Honeywell and incur no monthly payment for equipment after that.
- Installation costs: Installation is DIY, so there are no fees associated with installation.
- Monthly costs: If you would like to store videos on the devices, you can choose from a 30-day and 60-day storage option for between $50 and $150 dollars per year.
Smart Home Capabilities
In addition to Honeywell's own home automation line, you can create your own smart home ecosystem using Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT technology.
When trying to learn more about Honeywell's home security line, Our SecurityNerd experienced poor customer service.
It seems like the company is so large that representatives don't have a cohesive understanding of all areas of the company, resulting in misinformation and poor understanding of the home security branch. A company focused primarily on home security would probably provide a better service.
- Facial recognition: This is an uncommon but brilliant feature for a home security system - not only can Honeywell Security cameras tell the difference between a person and an object, but they can also identify the person for you.
- Smart home options: You'll be able to create your own home automation ecosystem with Honeywell Security, choosing from items like thermostats and lights. But you can also add in third-party equipment like Z-wave, Google Assistant, Alexa, and IFTTT technology.
- No contract: When you purchase hardware from Honeywell Security, you aren't tied to any contract. You can use it for your chosen duration, and the only monthly fee you need to consider is video storage fees.
- No professional monitoring options: When you purchase hardware from Honeywell, you'll be installing the system and then completely monitoring it by yourself. If an incident like a break-in occurs, then you're ultimately responsible for notifying the authorities.
- Poor customer service: Our SecurityNerd experienced poor customer service not only on the sales side but with the IT department as well.
Simplisafe - what you need to know
SimpliSafe makes home security incredibly accessible and affordable without compromising quality. Before purchasing your system, you should consider SimpliSafe's cost, installation options, smart home capabilities, and customer service.
Simplisafe offers five equipment packages with a range of costs. The monitoring plans begin at $14.99. However, Simplisafe also offers frequent discounts for the preconfigured security kits, or you can customize your own from the available safety devices, including but not limited to:
- Motion detection
- Entry sensors
- Carbon monoxide sensor/smoke detector
- Siren alarm system
- Video Doorbell
- Keyfob remote
- HD security camera
- Wireless Keypad
- Panic button
Since the packages are fully customizable, you have the option to DIY your home security system to your precise requirements. For example, if you have a small apartment, you probably don't need HD cameras or professional monitoring. Instead, you can choose a couple of motion sensors as add ons for the base station. This serves to also make the system more affordable as you don't need to shell out for unnecessary equipment.
No professional installation is required for this security system, and it is incredibly simple, with no wiring or electrical work needed.
With that said, If you don't feel comfortable setting the system up on your own, you can request professional assistance for a fee.
Activation is simple, requiring only a mobile app to control the system. Though, you'll need to sign up for the interactive plan to receive push notifications.
Smart Home Capabilities
If your home is set up with smart home capabilities, you won't have an issue integrating SimpliSafe into the system. SimpliSafe is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Google Assistant, August Locks, Nest, Apple Watch, and other smart home devices.
With these devices synced to your SimpliSafe, you can verbally instruct the system to meet your needs, arm/disarm the device, and connect the control to other smart home devices.
SimpliSafe has a responsive customer support team, with the option to reach out via phone, email, and online help services.
- Month-to-month payment plans make the system more affordable.
- The customization option lets you choose security features you will actually use and that make sense with your lifestyle and home.
- SimpliSafe's smart home capabilities and DIY installation make the system easy to use, even for first-time security system users.
- No notifications are offered without the interactive plan.
- No outdoor cameras
Simplisafe or Honeywell?
While both offer great motion detectors, window sensors, a smart thermostat, and other features for a smart home security system, including an app for iPhone and Android as well as top-quality security devices, there are two significant considerations for homeowners.
The first is customer service - Honeywell's customer service was really poor and misinformed our SecurityNerd. But Simplisafe's customer support team is responsive and helpful.
The second consideration is professional monitoring. If you're looking for a strictly DIY-based system, then Honeywell could be a worthy investment. However, if you want the added security of professional monitoring, a SimpliSafe system is your best bet.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.