Stumbling upon these two names is no surprise if you're looking for a new home security system. SimpliSafe is a significant security company that services at least 3 million homes. Canary is a new start-up funded by a Kickstarter campaign but has already made a big splash in the security world.
Both offer key similarities and security benefits, but they're not without their differences. We'll compare them both side by side today, so you can decide which offers the best home security system for you.
SimpliSafe Vs. Canary Security - What are the similarities?
Features: Both companies offer similar features, such as two-way audio, mobile notifications, HD cameras, Wi-Fi connectivity, and night vision.
Flexibility: SimpliSafe and Canary offer customers flexibility; you can choose to have no contract and pay monthly. You can reduce this even further by self-monitoring with SimpliSafe.
DIY Set-up: Both offer equipment that You can set up easily in just a few minutes; it should take no more than 30 minutes to get up and running, depending on the product you purchased.
SimpliSafe Vs. Canary Security - What are the differences?
- Professional monitoring: You can benefit from SimpliSafes' comprehensive 24/7 monitoring for an optional monthly fee. Canary does not offer this.
- Mobile app: While both offer a mobile app that will allow you to arm and disarm your alarm system, monitor issues, and receive notifications, the SimpliSafes app is rated far better on the app store.
- Pricing: Despite being affordable, SimpliSafe is still twice the price of Canary - though it's a bit apples and oranges here.
- Security systems: Canary only really offers security cameras - there is no add-ons like entry sensors, motion detectors, or glass break sensors.
SimpliSafe - What you need to know
The DIY installation is straightforward, but users have reported longer wait times if you require assistance. With that said, when we called the IT line for help, we were connected with support staff in under 5 minutes.
With SimpliSafe, you get advanced security equipment with a simple setup at a fair price. The best part is, you can pick and choose which gear you want to use based on the size of your home and desired security. All equipment comes with a 3-year warranty.
Some of the available equipment includes:
- Security Cameras
- Motion sensors
- Control Panel
- Base station
- Window sensors
- Glass break sensors
- Smoke detector
SimpliSafe has a select range of Home Automation products.
Here are some smart home devices compatible with SimpliSafe products:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Apple TV
- August Door Lock
- Nest Thermostat
SimpliSafe remedied part of their compatibility issues by releasing a video doorbell, But this won't work for those who already have a doorbell camera in place.
You purchase equipment upfront either from a pre-determined package deal or à la carte. There are over 15 different packages in different price ranges to choose from. Compared to Brinks, the costs are tiny. You could buy an entire security system for under $150 with no monthly fees (if you choose a self-monitoring option).
- Costs: Even the highest-level security bundle comes in under $500, making this an attractive option for homeowners who aren't looking for expensive home security. Home monitoring is an optional addition.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: SimpliSafe offers a 60-day money-back promise that you can return it if you don't like the system. They'll even cover shipping.
- Flexibility: You can begin customizing your system as soon as you buy it by picking exactly what you want. You can choose whether or not to have a monitored system; DIY is an option for those looking to save money. You can design the system to your tastes.
- No Outdoor Cameras: SimpliSafe offers camera monitoring, but the cameras only work indoors, which means you only have footage of any incidents once they've entered your home. Not to mention, having an outdoor camera is a significant deterrence.
- Equipment Incompatibility: If you purchase security with SimpliSafe and decide to upgrade later, new equipment is not compatible with older equipment, necessitating much more significant upgrades if you want to upgrade even a tiny part of your system.
Canary Security - What you need to know
Installation is DIY and straightforward. There's no need for drilling holes, and customers get a choice of three different mounts that are very easy to install. If you have any issues, there are many troubleshooting options on the website and during business hours. Chat is always an option for help as well.
Currently, Canary only offers cameras and mounts in their line of home security accessories. It is important to note that the Canary Pro has a built-in climate monitor, whereas many other companies sell that accessory separate from the camera.
Basic Security System
- Canary Pro
- Canary View
- Canary Flex
- Secure mount
- Twist mount
- Stake mount
Canary's home automation options are a bit sparse. While it does have a model with environmental monitoring, there is no smart lock or light integration yet. Here are the smart home options available with Canary products:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
When purchasing a system with Canary, here are the costs to consider:
- Equipment Costs: You are buying equipment upfront with Canary. However, you can get a deal on equipment by subscribing to either the one or two-year service plans.
- Monthly Costs: If you purchase equipment upfront and want only basic service, there are no monthly fees. If you decide to purchase the membership for premium service, monthly fees are $9.99 a month or $99 per year for one year. A two-year membership brings the cost down to $7.42 per month or $89 per year.
- Money-back guarantee: Canary has one of the most generous trial periods on the market. If you try a Canary camera and don't like it after 60 days, you can return it for a full refund.
- Price: The most expensive Canary camera, the Canary Flex model, comes in at $129, a bargain considering it is a weatherproof indoor and outdoor camera. It's also incredibly affordable if you want to become a member and unlock higher-tier features like extra video storage and two-way talk.
- Unique Features: Canary offers a unique feature that many other companies don't have — a smart camera with all the security features in one place. The Pro model, or All-in-One, has a siren, climate control, and AI technology in one piece of hardware, so you aren't buying multiple parts to get the same result. We also really like that the AI technology will automatically arm and disarm your camera for you based on who it sees leaving the house.
- No Door or Window sensors: While Canary can offer advanced motion detection, it can only alert you about what it sees. Without door or window sensors, you leave parts of your home vulnerable unless you have a camera at every entry and exit point.
- No monitoring services: Canary doesn't offer professional monitoring plans, with only a panic button available.
Both of these top picks have something to offer your home security - Canary is ideal if you want a low-cost video doorbell; SimpliSafe is a good idea if you want a more comprehensive security kit or smart home security system.
Canary's offering is pretty limited to its video camera, while SimpliSafe offers add-ons like door sensors, window sensors, and more, all with professional monitoring. Canary is more for the fundamentals and aimed at DIY users but is also more affordable.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.