Getting a pool means the whole family’s in for some fun in the sun. But you probably also want to make sure that you know how to keep everyone safe.
After all, drowning is the number one cause of accidental death for 1- to 4-year-olds. And most of those drownings happen in home swimming pools, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). But taking a few pool security and safety precautions can go a long way in preventing accidents and/or responding to them quickly. These pool alarms and safety products can soup up your pool and set your mind at ease.
A pool safety alarm can alert you that a child has opened a door or gate to a pool area, or that they’ve fallen or jumped into the pool. This protection is extra valuable, since most drownings happen when adults don’t expect the child to be swimming at all, according to the AAP.
Pool alarms come in a range of different styles and functions. You’ll want to choose the type that best fits your pool’s setup and your own personal pool security needs. These can include:
A threshold pool alarm attaches to a door, a window or a fence gate that leads to the pool. These gadgets sound an alarm when the door or gate is opened. They’re easy for adults to silence, but not for kids—usually because a disarming button is mounted high or even has a code.
One to try: Techko Ultra Slim Safe Pool Alarm
A wall-mounted pool safety alarm can be attached to the pool wall, decking or fence, usually using screws, so it’s a pretty permanent fixture. It can detect waves on the surface of the water—some extra-high-tech models detect underwater movements too—and you’ll get an alert if a pet or person enters the pool. You simply turn it off when you’re ready for a swim. Either arm it when you’re done or look for a model that does this automatically after a short period without use.
- For in ground or above ground pools up to 18' x 36'
- Battery powered
- 1 Remote can be used for multiple alarms
- Poolside siren 85+ db. at 10ft.If water temperature drops below 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 Celsius the alarm must be removed to prevent...
- 1 Year Warranty
Underwater Motion Detectors
This type of pool alarm is a techie’s dream come true. Underwater motion detectors use sonar to detect anything unusual underneath the surface of the water. They tend to be pretty sensitive—able to pick up on anything 15 pounds or higher—and may be less likely to create false alarms because of benign disturbances like a strong gust of wind.
Want to keep a close eye on your kid, instead of the pool? Have them wear a wristband that sounds an alarm when it gets wet. Families with some people who are allowed in the pool without supervision and others who aren’t may prefer this option.
- POOL ALARM SYSTEM - The base Safety Turtle 2.0 base will sound when wristband comes in contact with water
- CHILD AND PET SAFETY - This water alarm kit was designed for your child or pet's safety
- NO PROGRAMMING NECESSARY - This simple system will have you up and running in no time. Simply plug in the base within 200 feet of the pool,...
- SECURE WRISTBAND - The children's wristband is band is cute and comfortable fit with the latch and pull mechanism.
- MULTIPLE USERS - Multiple turtle bands can be added to one system, so everyone in the family is safe
Particularly ideal for above-ground pools or if you’d rather not screw something into your pool wall is a floating sensor. This type of pool alarm floats on the surface of the water like a buoy and can detect when a pet or child enters the pool. Also, a floating pool safety alarm is easily portable, if you want to take it along on vacation.
- A REVOLUTIONARY WARNING SYSTEM FOR A SAFER POOL - Lifebuoy is equipped with home and pool units designed to sound an alarm when a person or...
- SWIM MODE - The lifebuoy pool alarm is smart - After 10 minutes of absence of movement, the system will reactivate and in the event of a...
- BLUETOOTH BASED - Use the lifebuoy App to control and configure your lifebuoy Alarm. You can control the alarm state, change the length of...
- COVER ALERT - Lifebuoy is designed to alert when pool cover is removed. We are very proud with this technology, as it is the only pool alarm...
- LIFEBUOY EVERYWHERE - Use with almost every type of pool, spa and garden pond. Suitable for constructed or temporary pools, Jacuzzis and...
Other safety gear to consider getting for your pool area
These pool security products create a barrier that can help people out of the pool when it’s not in use.
Pool fences are essential for keeping loved ones, as well as neighborhood kids and animals, out of your pool. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, a pool fence is the most effective and proven way to prevent young children from drowning.
Pool fences are available in both permanent and portable options. Look for a fence that’s at least four feet high and surrounds the pool on all four sides. For pool security, the fence shouldn’t be climbable, and vertical slats should be less than 4 inches apart. Any pool latch should be at least 54 inches from the ground, so small kids can’t open them on their own, and the gate should be self-closing and self-latching, so it’s not accidentally left ajar, recommends the AAP.
- Pool fencing kit specifically designed for do-it-yourself installation to keep children safe around the pool
- Includes a 4' tall and 12' wide section of pool fencing, 5 pre-attached poles, deck sleeves, deck caps, hook and eye, and a installation...
- Poles are constructed of a stainless steel core, a PVC insert, and a powder-coated finished aluminum
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty; Installation requires a ½” minimum rotary hammer drill with a standard ⅝” long shaft masonry...
- EZ Guard fencing can be easily removed and re-installed in a matter of minutes
A pool cover protects the pool from leaves, petals and dirt. Having one can also deter kids (and neighbors) from trying to hop in the pool. To prevent a child from falling and slipping underneath the cover, make sure it covers the whole pool securely. Look for a pool cover that fits the ASTM International guidelines for safety. (It should be labeled as ASTM certified.)
Consider an automatic pool cover, since they’re made to hold a lot of weight and seal the pool on all sides. Plus they’re super convenient to use, because no heavy lifting is necessary. Know that floating pool covers can actually be a safety hazard, since they make the pool surface look like it’s solid ground, but someone stepping on top could still fall in and even become trapped or hidden from view.
A pool net is an alternative to a pool cover that’s often less expensive and lighter and easier to place over the pool. A net won’t keep your pool free of leaves and other debris, the way a pool cover can, but it could deter someone from entering your pool. Know that a child or a pet could get a limb caught in the net, though, so it’s important to stay vigilant even if you have one.
One to try: Water Warden Pool Safety Net
Before you buy, check the pool safety and security regulations in your area. A specific type of pool alarm, fence and/or cover may be required by law.
And of course, follow pool safety precautions, including watching children closely in the pool and taking CPR training. Swim lessons for everyone in the family are important, too. If a child is missing, always look in the pool first.
Now, go enjoy some safe swimming!