ecobee and Swann have a lot to offer; ecobee launched in 2007 and is best known for providing smart home equipment, including smart thermostats. ecobee offer verified refurbished equipment to help you save money, too. Swann is a home security provider with a global presence - Swann is available in more than 40 countries. Swann offers traditional NVR (Network Video Recorder) and fuller CCTV setups. Let's take a look at what these providers can offer you.
ecobee vs Swann: What do they have in common?
- Motion detection: Motion detectors can notify you in the event of a threat.
- Mobile app: You'll manage your security system from your mobile app. The mobile apps are available on Android and iOS and will send you push notifications if a threat is detected. You can also remotely arm and disarm from the Swann and ecobee apps.
- Two-way talk: ecobee and Swann video doorbells offer two-way audio.
- Video quality: HD video resolution (1080p HD video) is available. It's not as good as 4k vision, but it's more than sufficient.
- DIY installation: You'll be responsible for your own DIY installation.
- Professional monitoring: Professional home monitoring is available from ecobee and Swann
- Flexibility: You'll have control over your system; you won't be forced to take out a long-term contract.
ecobee vs Swann: What are the differences?
- Hardware options: Swann offers more hardware options, including NVR systems for larger homes, businesses, etc. ecobee offers more limited options focused on domestic security.
- Outdoor security cameras: Swann offers a variety of home security cameras for outdoor use, but ecobee focuses on indoor security cameras.
- Smart home functionality: ecobee and Swann have some similarities, including Echo/Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility, but ecobee offers additional perks, including person detection, Apple Homekit (Siri), and other smart home security extras that comprise an entire smart home ecosystem.
- Night vision: Swann offers crisp, colored night vision.
- Cellular backup: ecobee doesn't offer cellular backup, but Swann does.
- Solar panels: Swann offers solar-powered equipment.
- 4k resolution: ecobee and Swann offer HD quality cameras; only Swann has recently launched 4k resolution cameras.
- Mobile app quality: Swann's mobile app is ok but receives some complaints from customers.
- Field of view: ecobee offers a 180-degree field of view, but most Swann cameras only offer a 110-120 degree field of view.
- Global presence: Swann has a vast reputation and is available in more than 40 countries.
- Thermostats: ecobee offers smart thermostats, including the ecobee Smart thermostat.
Swann: What you need to know
Swann is an experienced home security system provider that offers global services, boasting a presence in more than 40 countries. They provide DIY systems and high-resolution cameras with up to 4k video quality.
Your setup will depend on your preferred equipment; most installations take under an hour. If you need help, customer service is responsive, but you won't be able to access professional installation.
Swann has a complete range of cameras compared to most companies, including ecobee. Swann's extensive range includes:
- Wireless smart security cameras and video doorbells
- Pan and tilt cam
- Outdoor 1080p HD cameras
- Wired 4-16 Channel NVR systems
Additional kit includes:
- Garage door sensors
- Home doorbell camera kit
- Solar panels
- Dummy cams
- Extra mounting stands
Your new security system includes push notifications and a handy mobile app, but third-party integrations are lukewarm, with only Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa offered. Voice control with Alexa is a great benefit, but there could be more.
- Equipment costs: Equipment costs vary, starting at $70 and can be as much as $500. An NVR system is often used for larger residences or businesses and is more expensive than this.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees start at $9.99; the Pro Plan includes emergency response, incident support, and live view; premium customers receive a 36-month extended warranty.
- Cameras: You'll choose from a variety of camera options with Swann; there are basic video doorbells and complete bells-and-whistles NVR systems.
- No contract: You aren't obligated to sign up for a contract. You can buy your equipment without any agreements, etc.
- Camera features: There are multiple great advanced features, including heat-activated motion detectors.
- Pay for storage: Although you'll get free cloud storage for two days, it's limited, and you'll need a premium subscription for more than this. You can use local video storage, but you'll need an NVR system, which is more expensive.
- App complaints: Although iPhone users rate it well, Android users report connectivity issues and bugs.
ecobee: What you need to know
ecobee was established with the ecobee Smart Thermostat, and it soon began offering complete self-monitoring security systems with a great mobile app (available on iPhone and Android). Let's look at what ecobee has to offer.
The doorbell camera is the easiest to set up, but the installation process varies. The ecobee SmartCamera can be quickly installed, though you'll need to do some drilling. If you want a smart thermostat, you may require professional installation as it'll be wired into your HVAC system, but there's no bespoke professional installation provided by ecobee, though there are excellent online guides.
ecobee offers a variety of equipment:
- Garage door sensors
- Contact sensors
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Voice-controlled smart thermostat
- Switch + Smart speaker
ecobee offers a growing range, including the ecobee app, a smart thermostat, speakers, and more. Third-party integrations are expanding and include IFTTT (IF This Then That) equipment, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: You can purchase refurbished cameras to save money, but you can also buy security kits for $249; security kits include at least one camera. Individual cameras are available for $99.
- Monthly costs: You don't need to pay fees, but it may restrict your capabilities without ecobee Haven. ecobee Haven starts at $5 per month, or you can include RapidSOS response for $10 per month.
- Refurbished products: ecobee offers substantial discounts if you purchase approved refurbished equipment, up to 60% off.
- Professional monitoring: Monitoring is available for just $10 per month.
- Warranty: All hardware has a 3-year warranty.
- Smart home integration: ecobee has great quality smart thermostats and compatibility with several IFTTT products, such as Apple Homekit and Amazon Alexa.
- No environmental sensors: ecobee doesn't provide environmental sensors.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to power cuts or connectivity issues unless you have a cellular backup, but ecobee doesn't offer any cellular backup.
ecobee or Swann?
For most customers, ecobee is ideal. They offer affordable products with a long-term warranty and the potential to save money with refurbished equipment. ecobee offers compatibility with an array of smart home devices, too. However, if you're looking for a larger security system, you should consider Swann. Swann offers additional security features, in addition to 16-channel NVR systems that you can use to keep a large residence or business safe.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.