If you're shoring up your home security, visible CCTV is one of the most significant deterrents. Most burglars won't attempt to break into a house with a visible home security system. Once you've chosen to purchase or upgrade your security cameras, your next choice will be your security provider.
ADT is one of the first to come to mind; they are well-known worldwide thanks to more than a century in the industry and provide traditional security services. ecobee is a lesser-known Canadian provider of home security equipment, including smart home devices such as smart thermostats. They were established recently and are best known for selling quality refurbished equipment to help you save money.
ecobee vs ADT: What do they have in common?
- Professional monitoring: There are professionally monitored options for each system.
- Mobile app: You can download a handy app from each provider; the apps allow you to monitor your security cameras and receive motion-activated notifications. The apps are available on iOS and Android.
- Z-wave compatibility: Each provider offers Z-wave compatibility for excellent home automation options.
- Video storage: Since ADT recently launched cloud storage, Ecobee and ADT offer similar video storage options.
- Warranty: You'll have a warranty, regardless of your chosen provider.
- Video resolution: ecobee and ADT cameras are available in 1080p HD resolution.
- Hardware quality: You can trust the quality of everything you buy - customers rate them well, and nothing seems flimsy or breakable.
ecobee vs ADT: What are the differences?
- Reputation: ADT has over 100 years of experience, but ecobee is a new company.
- Refurbished equipment: ecobee offers refurbished equipment to help you save money; ADT only sells brand-new hardware.
- Flexibility: ecobee offers greater flexibility; ADT will require you to purchase a monitoring plan.
- Cellular backup: ecobee doesn't offer cellular backup; ADT does.
- Outdoor security cameras: ADT provides outdoor security cameras, which are the most significant deterrent. ecobee specializes in indoor security cameras.
- Traditional home security: ADT offers traditional home security systems; ecobee is more focused on small home automation, smart thermostats, and basic indoor cameras.
- Professional installation: ecobee doesn't offer professional installation, but ADT only offers professional installation.
ecobee: What you need to know
ecobee established itself by offering the ecobee smart thermostat; soon after, it began offering complete self-monitoring security systems with a great mobile app (available on iPhone and Android). Let's look at what ecobee has to offer.
The installation process varies depending on what you're after; the ecobee SmartCamera can be installed in minutes, and the video doorbells are extremely easy to set up. If you want a smart thermostat, you'll need professional installation, but there's no bespoke professional installation provided by ecobee, though there are excellent online guides.
ecobee offers a vast array of equipment, including:
- Garage door sensors
- Window sensors
- Wi-Fi thermostats
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Voice-controlled smart thermostat
- Switch + Smart speaker
ecobee offers a growing range, including the ecobee app, a smart speaker, a thermostat, and more. Third-party integrations are expanding and include IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: You can purchase refurbished equipment to save money, but you can also buy security kits (with a camera included) for $249. Individual cameras are available for $99.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees are optional - ecobee Haven isn't mandatory, but your capabilities are more limited without it. You can pay $5 per month and store video footage from a single camera or pay $10 monthly for RapidSOS response and unlimited storage.
- Refurbished products: ecobee offers refurbished products; you can save up to 60% from the retail price.
- Professional monitoring: Monitoring is available for just $10 a month.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with an extended three-year warranty.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you can control your smart system with voice commands.
- Smart home integration: ecobee has great smart thermostats and compatibility with several IFTTT products, including Apple Homekit, allowing you to design your smart home ecosystem.
- Installation: Unlike ADT, there's no pro-install option.
- No environmental sensors: ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to power cuts or connectivity issues; there's no cellular backup.
ADT: What you need to know
ADT home security offers global security solutions, being a household name that's a familiar sight globally. With several US-based monitoring centers and over 7 million customers, you know you can trust them. Let's take a look at what they offer.
Unlike ecobee, you can't self-install. You'll need professional installation; an ADT representative will come to your home, walk you through your new system, and complete the installation. The cost will be built into your monthly contract.
The core security system is made up of:
- Control panel
- Window sensors
- Door sensors
- Key fob
- Motion sensors
- Window decals
Regardless, you can purchase extras such as security cameras and:
- Touchpad (with monitoring through cellular service)
- Outdoor camera
- Garage door control
- Window sensors
- Smart thermostats
- Automated switches and plugs
- Indoor camera
- Doorbell camera
- Smart door locks
- Smoke detectors
- Light control
- Carbon monoxide and smoke sensors
- Flood detectors
- Glass break sensors
ADT offers a decent selection of smart home devices, and like ecobee, you can also use ADT with Z-wave products such as smart locks, Amazon's Alexa, smart lights, Google Assistant, and a Nest thermostat.
When purchasing a new security system, you'll have several costs to consider:
- Equipment costs: If you buy an ADT system, the equipment costs are incorporated into the contract cost.
- Installation costs: Installation starts from $99 and varies depending on the complexity of your installation.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees will range from $35.99 to $57.99 per month.
- Reputation: ADT is one of the most well-known security companies in the world; you're in safe hands.
- Outage Protection: ADT offers great outage protection.
- Warranty: ADT offers extended warranties.
- Easy installation: You don't worry about the installation; a professional will handle it for you.
- Customer service inconsistencies: ADT has previously been known for great customer service, but customer service has sometimes been outsourced to third parties, which harms the ADT brand when the customer service is inconsistent.
- Add-on extras: The base packages for ADT are affordable, but extras can add up quickly.
- Mobile app issues: Customers have reported losing connectivity or occasionally experiencing delays within the ADT app, which can become an annoying issue.
ecobee or ADT?
If you're looking for a simple, cheap, and flexible smart home security system, ecobee offers decent functionality for a low price. But if you're looking for a more traditional provider with professional monitoring and a typical alarm system, you might consider ADT. Still, at $35.99+ a month, the costs will soon add up.
There are benefits to using each provider, but you'll need to weigh the additional costs required for an ADT system against some of the shortcomings of ecobee's system, such as the lack of outdoor cameras, geofencing, weatherproofing, and cellular backup.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.