Home security systems are becoming more common; you should consider upgrading your home security to keep your home safe. One of the decisions you'll need to make is your security provider; many suppliers are available.
Canary is a modern provider launched in 2013 following a successful Kickstarter campaign. They are known for offering all-in-one security systems for a low price. Ex-ADT Executives launched Abode in 2014; Abode is an affordable provider offering great perks, including professional monitoring.
Canary vs Abode: What do they have in common?
- Voice control: You can control your camera system with Amazon Alexa, allowing you to use voice commands to manage your system.
- Night vision: Abode and Canary cameras offer night vision.
- Weatherproof outdoor cameras: Abode recently launched its outdoor smart camera; now, both companies offer weatherproof cameras suited for outdoor use.
- Video doorbells: You can purchase a doorbell camera.
- Quality equipment: Customer reviews praise hardware quality.
- Z-wave compatibility: Abode and Canary offer Z-wave compatibility with products such as Google Assistant.
- Remote arming: You can arm and disarm your security system remotely.
- Mobile app: You can monitor your security system via a helpful mobile app. You can also view a live feed of your security cameras and receive notifications if motion is detected. The apps are available on iOS and Android.
Canary vs Abode: What are the differences?
- Smart home integration: Abode offers more smart home options, including compatibility with Nest Thermostat.
- Professional monitoring: Canary doesn’t offer professional monitoring; Abode provides optional professional monitoring.
- Motion sensors: Abode offers motion sensors, including contact sensors. Canary doesn't offer motion sensors, leaving parts of your security system very vulnerable.
- Environmental sensors: Abode offers additional environmental sensors which can save you thousands of dollars in the event of a problem.
- Cellular backup: Abode offers cellular backup; cellular backup will protect your home in the event of a Wi-Fi outage or signal issue.
- Pricing: Most Abode systems begin at around $300, but Canary’s most expensive camera is around $130.
- DIY installation: Abode offers professional installation in some areas; Canary is strictly DIY install only.
- Equipment availability: Canary is more of a one-trick pony, offering only a few individual cameras. Abode offers comprehensive security systems.
Abode: What you need to know
Abode offers professional monitoring for a reasonable fee and is one of the best home security companies available. Whether you're a homeowner or a renter, Abode is a flexible option that provides many perks, including smart home options such as Apple Homekit and Amazon Alexa. Abode is also compatible with Nest Thermostats.
Abode has some security kits, but the equipment is available individually too. Some equipment includes:
- Gateway control panel (or Iota control panel for an extra $30)
- Window/door sensors
- Motion detectors
- Key fob
- Glass break sensors
- Indoor and outdoor sirens
- Water leak detector
- Power switch
- Occupancy sensor
- Temperature/light sensor
- Smoke alarm
- Wide-angle motion camera
- Abode indoor camera
Abode manufactures dedicated smart home devices, including smart lights, locks, and smoke alarms. But third-party integrations are on offer, including Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Nest, and Apple Homekit.
Everything you require to install your kit will be included in your package, and it's quick to set up and takes less than an hour. Professional installation is available in most areas, but you shouldn't need it.
- Equipment cost: You may want to purchase a starter kit, but they are reasonably priced. The Abode Iota is a popular one-stop kit; security kits start at around $400.
- Monthly costs: If you self-monitor, you'll pay a fee for cellular backup, which is $8 monthly. Professional monitoring is available for $20 monthly.
- Flexibility: You have total control over your purchase; you can self-monitor, DIY install, etc., to save money. You won't be forced to take out a long-term contract.
- Quality hardware: Abode offers a strong variety of quality hardware.
- Pricing: Abode is more expensive than Canary.
- Monthly fees: Monthly fees can be a high cost over time.
Canary Security: What you need to know
Canary launched in 2013 and is best known for security packages (in the form of an individual camera) with features including If This Then That (IFTTT) compatibility, built-in AI, and sirens. The Canary app allows you to monitor a live video feed and receive motion-activated notifications.
Wireless cameras are easier to install; you won't need to drill holes or use awkward cables. Customers report it's a simple process; you can troubleshoot online or contact the live chat for assistance. It takes less than an hour to get your system up and running.
Canary doesn't offer much; cameras and mounts are the focus of the range. Most models have color night vision and 1080p HD resolution and advanced features such as built-in climate monitors and AI.
- Canary View
- Canary Flex
- Canary Pro
You can also purchase a mount to install your system, including a stake, twist, or secure mount.
Only basic smart home security devices are offered; there's some compatibility with Z-wave but no dedicated thermostats, etc. Your mobile app will help you oversee your complete security system, and the app is available for Android and iOS users. Equipment available includes:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Apple Homekit
If you're purchasing a home security system, you'll have two core costs to consider, including:
- Equipment: You'll purchase everything up front, and you can receive additional discounts, but the system is cheap enough regardless. The most expensive camera is $129.
- Monthly costs: You can do without monthly costs; if you don't want premium features, you don't need to pay. If you want additional storage and other perks, you can upgrade for $9.99 monthly.
- Warranty: Canary's warranty is excellent; you can claim a refund up to 60-days after purchase.
- Price: The most expensive Canary camera is the Canary Flex; the Flex is a $129 camera with weatherproofing; it's suited for outdoor use. Canary is one of the more affordable providers.
- HD video quality: Canary offers 1080p HD quality.
- Unique features: Canary provides great features, including person detection, two-way audio, and a loud built-in siren.
- No motion sensors: There are no contact sensors, leaving your home vulnerable. You could mount a camera at each exit, which could be costly.
- Activity zones: Canary doesn't offer customizable motion detection.
Canary or Abode?
Canary offers some excellent, low-price home security cameras with excellent functionality and no contracts. But if you're searching for more security equipment, Abode can provide you with a high-quality alarm system.
Canary offers a great 60-day money-back guarantee, cloud storage, and additional equipment, including air quality monitors. Still, there are no door or window sensors, and there are limited third-party integrations.
If you're looking for a more comprehensive system, you should try Abode. Abode is more expensive but offers contact sensors and more third-party integrations. If you're hoping to just buy cameras and want a more affordable option, Canary is a great choice.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.