When upgrading your home security, you'll have many security providers to choose from.
Nest and Abode are two great providers, offering a variety of home security systems and security cameras. Nest was launched in 2010 and is best known for the Nest learning thermostat. They quickly branched into smart home security, including high-quality security cameras. Abode was established in 2014 by an ex-ADT executive aiming to bring affordable but effective security systems to the market. Let's take a look at what each provider has to offer you.
Abode vs Nest: What do they have in common?
- Professional monitoring: You'll have the option of a professionally monitored system; Abode offers professional monitoring, and Nest offers pro monitoring via Brinks. You can still choose to self-monitor though.
- Local storage: Using a MicroSD card, you can store footage locally, you’re not forced to rely on expensive cloud storage.
- Video doorbell: You can purchase a doorbell camera from both providers.
- Video quality: Abode and Nest cams have the same quality resolution with a 1080p HD video.
- Mobile app: You can monitor your system via a mobile app, including a live video feed. Nest and Abode apps are available on iOS and Android.
- Flexibility: You're not required to have a long-term contract with either provider.
- Smart home automation: You'll enjoy compatibility with many of the same smart home devices.
- Outdoor cameras: Nest and Abode offer weatherproof outdoor cameras to keep your home safe in all conditions.
Abode vs Nest: What are the differences?
- Pricing: Nest is around twice the price, as the basic package doesn't come with a camera and other extras that are included with Abode's package. Nest's monitoring plans are also more expensive.
- Professional installation: Nest requires you to install your own system.
- Advanced sensors: Abode offers advanced all-in-one sensors that detect occupancy, climate conditions, and other things.
- Mobile app ratings: Abode's app has some issues, but it's rated much better than Nest's app.
- Multiple base stations: Abode offers several base stations, which is an uncommon feature.
- Environment detectors: Environmental detectors are available via both security providers, but Abode offers more, including flood, freeze, and glass break sensors.
Nest Secure - What you need to know
Nest was launched in 2010 by ex-Google employees, and they disrupted the industry with practical, affordable solutions alongside professional monitoring.
Nest Aware subscriptions are low-cost and offer several vital features. Let's see what Nest can offer you.
The alarm system is well-suited for installation - you shouldn't need professional help. The system is easy to assemble, but if you require support, then the customer care team is easy to reach.
Wired installations are more complex but usually manageable. You'll set up your new system with the Google Home app.
The lowest-priced package is $399 and consists of the Nest Guard, key fobs, and two sensors. The base package is $399, and you'll pay $199 for an additional camera. You can buy other individual add-ons or a more expensive package. Add-ons available include:
- Indoor cameras
- Outdoor cameras
- Yard signs and decals
- Doorbell cameras
- Smart locks
- Smart lights
- Smart thermostat
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Smoke detectors
One of the best Nest selling points is how effortless it is to set up a smart home ecosystem - Nest can be integrated smoothly with many products. You can choose a video doorbell, security cameras with smart detectors, smoke detectors, and smart locks. You can also adjust your home's climate using your phone and adjust your lights.
Your Nest system will also be compatible with If This Then That (IFTTT) and Z-wave equipment.
Your budget will depend on the gadgets you choose and your desired storage options, but the basics are as follows:
- Cheapest security package: $399
- Basic alarm package with one camera: $598
- Alarm package with smart lock: $633.
- Monitoring costs: You can buy professional monitoring for $29 monthly. This is discounted to $19 a month if you purchase a contract.
- Outage protection: Cellular backup is available for $5 per month.
- Customization: You can buy an affordable base package and add-ons, including smart home devices, smart thermostats, Nest tags, CO2 detectors, and other Nest products.
- Easy install: Installation is effortless - you'll be walked through the process with the Google Home app.
- Price: For a DIY system, the price is rather high; the extras can stack up quickly if you purchase monitoring, cellular backup, etc.
Abode: What you need to know
Abode was launched in 2014 by an ex-ADT representative, and they're a popular, affordable home security provider. Abode equipment offers compatibility with Z-wave equipment, including Google Assistant, Amazon's Alexa, and more. Abode also offers professional installation (location dependant) and professional monitoring. You can also buy advanced sensors and other extras from Abode.
Depending on where you are, your Abode system can be professionally installed for you. You'll probably be able to do it yourself, but if you're purchasing a more extensive system, you'll appreciate the professional installation option.
If you do it yourself, setup is still manageable, and customer services are responsive.
Abode offers a variety of accessible equipment. There are multiple core packages, but there are extras available too. Additional equipment available includes:
- Gateway control panel (or Iota control panel for an extra $30)
- Contact sensors, including door and window sensors
- Abode indoor cameras
- Indoor and outdoor sirens
- Water leak detectors
- Power switch
- Motion detectors
- Glassbreak sensors
- Carbon monoxide sensors
- Temperature/light sensor
- Smoke alarm
- Wide-angle motion camera
- Occupancy sensor
Abode offers a good variety of smart home products, including safety devices. All-in-one environment sensors and smoke detectors can keep your home safe, and for your convenience, you can also purchase a smart thermostat. Abode additionally offers compatibility with Apple Homekit, Alexa, Google Nest, and other equipment.
- Equipment cost: You'll have to buy a security kit; the Abode Iota is very popular and costs $229. You won't spend over $250 for your starter kit.
- Monthly costs: You won't need to pay monthly fees unless you want extras. Professional monitoring costs $20 a month, and cellular backup costs $8.
- Flexibility: You'll maintain total flexibility; you can choose whether to have professional installation, monitoring, etc. There are no long-term contracts.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with a 12-month warranty.
- Price: This is an ideal option for those wanting a full smart home security system without spending a fortune, and you won't be forced into expensive long-term contracts.
- Person detection: Your risk of false alarms is lower thanks to Abode's advanced person detection.
- Cellular backup: Your system remains secure in an outage or connectivity issue thanks to reliable cellular backup.
- Camera quality: 1080p HD quality is excellent, especially at a low price.
- Online reviews: Some of the online reviews for the Abode app and system are less than perfect.
- Variety: Abode doesn't offer much variety, with only a few home security cameras.
Abode or Nest?
Abode and Nest offer two of the best home security systems, with great functions such as two-way talk, mobile apps for remote disarming/arming of your system, and high-resolution HD cameras. But Nest is considerably more expensive, despite not offering professional installation. The systems are comparable, but Abode represents better value for money.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.