When it comes to home security systems, one of the most crucial parts of your system is your security cameras. Security cameras provide an excellent deterrent and an opportunity to gather evidence if you're the victim of a crime. The best cameras can be a vital part of a smart home ecosystem.
There are a variety of security cameras on offer; Wyze and SimpliSafe are two excellent providers. Wyze launched in 2017, the brainchild of ex-Amazon employees wanting to provide affordable cameras. SimpliSafe is a Boston-based home security company with over 3 million customers. It's perfect for DIY enthusiasts looking for a cellular system that doesn't rely on a landline or Wi-Fi.
Wyze vs Simplisafe: What do they have in common?
- DIY installation: You'll have the flexibility of installing your own system.
- Smart home integration: You can integrate your security cameras with smart home equipment such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Professional monitoring services: Your system can be monitored. SimpliSafe offers comprehensive monitoring, and Wyze offers basic monitoring via Noonlight.
- Video doorbell: Wyze and SimpliSafe offer doorbell cameras with two-way audio and crisp image quality.
- Camera resolution: SimpliSafe and Wyze Cameras have 1080p HD cameras.
- Warranty: You'll benefit from a generous warranty.
Wyze vs SimpliSafe: What are the differences?
- Hardware quality: Wyze cameras have a flimsy feel - SimpliSafe's designs inspire more confidence.
- Environmental sensors: SimpliSafe offers more sensors, including glass break sensors.
- Monitoring fees and pricing: SimpliSafe is an affordable provider, but Wyze's pricing is hard to beat. SimpliSafe's monitoring service is twice the price.
- Better Business Bureau accreditation: SimpliSafe is an excellent provider with a reputation to match; Wyze has had some complaints due to flimsy hardware and app bugs.
- Cellular backup: SimpliSafe offers cellular backup; your SimpliSafe system is protected against tampering and power outages. Wyze isn't.
- Nest Thermostat compatibility: Wyze offers a dedicated smart thermostat, but SimpliSafe is compatible with Nest equipment, including the smart thermostat.
SimpliSafe - What you need to know
SimpliSafe is a modern DIY security provider, offering cutting-edge home security cameras and motion detection to keep your home and family safe. Let's delve into everything they can provide you with.
SimpliSafe is best known for being a flexible, straightforward provider with simple installation. Most SimpliSafe cameras can be set up in a few minutes, but some customers have reported long wait times for troubleshooting assistance. Our SecurityNerd got through to support quickly, but it's something to consider.
SimpliSafe provides security equipment at a low price. You have full flexibility over your security system - you can pick and choose based on your desired security level, home size, and layout. Everything you buy will come with a 3-year warranty.
Available equipment includes:
- Motion sensors
- Security cameras
- Control panel/base station
- Window sensors
- Glass break sensors
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
SimpliSafe has an array of smart home products; SimpliSafe has released a doorbell camera and has a mobile app for you to monitor your security system. It's also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple TV, door locks, and Nest thermostat.
There are no monthly costs (unless you purchase professional monitoring). You purchase equipment upfront, a la carte, or from a security package. There are 15 different packages, but you can purchase an entire home security system for less than $150.
Monitoring fees are $9.99-$14.99 monthly.
- Costs: Even the most expensive bundle is less than $500, it's not as cheap as Wyze, but it's comprehensive without breaking the bank. You can choose optional home monitoring services.
- Satisfaction Guarantee: If the system isn't for you, you can return it within 60-days - they'll even pay for shipping. Simplisafe offers a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Flexibility: You start customizing your system as soon as you buy it; you can design it to your tastes. You can choose to monitor or save money by DIY monitoring your system.
- No outdoor cameras: SimpliSafe offers cameras and monitoring, but you'll only have footage of incidents inside your home. Having an outdoor camera is a great deterrent that you lose if you only have indoor cameras.
- Equipment incompatibility: There's little backward compatibility, so if you buy security with SimpliSafe and upgrade later, new equipment may not be compatible. You may need to re-buy significant parts of your system to upgrade.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze was launched in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees with the idea to provide cheap, feature-packed cameras. They start at under $30 and provide excellent features such as adjustable motion sensitivity.
Wyze's installation process couldn't be simpler, especially if you're purchasing a Wi-Fi camera. There's no professional installation, but installation is effortless. You connect your camera to an outlet, wait a few seconds, then hold the setup button. Voice prompts walk you through the setup.
Wyze offers indoor cameras alongside a doorbell camera, plus other equipment. Examples include:
- Automatic vacuums
- Garage door controllers
- Smart locks
- Smart light bulbs
If you're buying home security equipment, you should consider one of their bundles.
The Wyze home monitoring starter kit costs just $60 and is one of the cheapest. The $60 kit includes:
- Three entry sensors
Wyze offers great home automation options. The Wyze app, available on iPhone and Android, is a helpful assistant. You can enjoy additional smart devices, including If This Then That (IFTTT) equipment (such as Amazon Alexa and Apple Homekit). Wyze also has a dedicated smart home range that includes smart thermostats, door locks, and more.
- Monthly fees: Wyze charges $5 per month for professional monitoring.
- Equipment: Equipment prices vary; Wyze is one of the cheapest providers. Wyze cameras start at $20, and security kits start at $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cameras are feature-packed and a fraction of the cost of competitors.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze provides vast free storage and live streaming via the app, allowing you to monitor your home security closely.
- Battery backup: Wyze Sense Hub has a battery backup, though it doesn't always work perfectly.
- Smart home products: You can slot it into an incredible smart home ecosystem. You can control your system with voice commands with the help of Amazon Alexa.
- Professional monitoring: Basic professional monitoring is provided for Wyze customers that purchase an equipment package, but it's optional. Wyze is a great DIY home security system.
- Customizable motion sensors: Your motion zones and sensitivity are customizable.
- Mobile app: The mobile app has some bugs and reported issues.
- Reputation: Wyze isn't registered with the Better Business Bureau and has a poorer reputation than SimpliSafe.
Wyze or SimpliSafe?
Wyze and SimpliSafe are pretty different. SimpliSafe is much better if you're looking for a monitoring plan, a comprehensive alarm system, and smart home add-ons. Wyze is good for cheap cameras, but the price is low for a reason. Wyze cuts corners; it's worth spending a little extra to access everything SimpliSafe offers.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.