Security cameras are one of the most significant investments when upgrading your home security system.
EZVIZ is a US-based provider launched in 2013 with various equipment, primarily focused on Wi-Fi cameras supported by their cloud storage platform, EZVIZ cloud. EZVIZ has plenty of customers and over 12 million USD in sales.
Wyze was launched in 2017, the brainchild of ex-Amazon employees. Wyze is best known for affordable cameras with advanced security features. Let's look at what they offer.
Wyze vs EZVIZ: What do they have in common?
- Video doorbell cameras: You can purchase a video doorbell from either brand.
- Flexibility: You won't be forced to sign a long-term contract.
- Pan-tilt zoom: You can adjust the cameras to get a better view.
- HD resolution: EZVIZ and Wyze cameras have excellent video quality, with 1080p HD resolution.
- Customizable activity zones: You can adjust your camera's motion detection zones, allowing it to alert you in the case of activity in a particular area.
- Two-way audio: The doorbell cameras use two-way talk; you can communicate with delivery people or make it seem like you're home - even if you're not.
- Installation fees: Since installation is DIY only, there are no installation fees.
- Voice control: Thanks to compatibility with Amazon Alexa, you can use voice commands to control your system.
- Pricing: Wyze and EZVIZ cameras start at around $20.
- Wireless cameras: You can choose between a selection of wireless and wired cameras.
Wyze vs EZVIZ: What are the differences?
- Smart home integration: EZVIZ offers more smart home automation options, including home extras such as pet cameras and air purifiers.
- Mobile apps: While Wyze and EZVIZ have similar apps, Wyze's app is rated poorly compared to EZVIZ.
- Color night vision: EZVIZ offers more outdoor cameras, so it has better specs, such as weatherproofing and color night vision.
- Professional monitoring: Wyze offers professional monitoring for $5 per month.
- Equipment quality: EZVIZ has sturdier equipment, according to customer reviews.
- Monthly costs: EZVIZ charges more for cloud storage.
EZVIZ: What you need to know
EZVIZ launched in 2013, offering cheap security cameras and home automation without requiring long-term contracts. EZVIZ cameras are low-cost but provide decent protection and crisp video quality. Let's take a look at what EZVIZ offers you.
You'll receive everything you need to install your new camera system. Most include the base mount (required to fix it to a surface or wall). Power over Ethernet, wireless, and wired options are available. You can troubleshoot your equipment online or contact the customer service team. The customer service line is responsive and helpful.
EZVIZ offers you a multitude of options for your security camera system; there are several home security cameras on offer, with around ten indoor cameras (hardwired and wireless) and a dozen outdoor security cameras, including video doorbells. The cheapest security camera offered by EZVIZ is the CIC 730p camera, which is around $20. It provides adequate picture quality and MicroSD card compatibility. You can purchase an HD camera for about $40.
Equipment offered by EZVIZ includes:
- Indoor and outdoor cameras
- Air purifiers
- Smart lights
- Pet cameras
EZVIZ isn't the best for a smart home ecosystem; Amazon Alexa is about as good as it gets. But EZVIZ has a line of smart home accessories, including door locks, thermostats, and smart lights.
- Equipment costs: EZVIZ cameras are cheap, and IP cameras start from just $20.
- Monthly fees: If you use local storage, there are no monthly fees. Cloud storage will cost you $5.99 per month.
- Costs: EZVIZ is one of the cheapest providers.
- Flexibility: There are no long-term contracts required.
- Motion sensors: Advanced motion detection technology, including person detection and customizable motion zones.
- Variety: You'll have many cameras to choose from, including wire-free smart doorbells and hardwired variations.
- Video storage limits: While they offer cloud storage, it will cost you (plans start at $5.99 a month), and there's no free cloud storage facility. You can use an SD card; some cameras aren't compatible.
- No professional monitoring: You can't access professional monitoring with EZVIZ.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze was launched in 2017 to provide cheap but reliable home security equipment. Wyze cameras offer advanced features, including customizable motion zones and person detection. They start at $20.
You won't need professional assistance - Wyze offers no-nonsense installation. You connect your new camera to a power outlet, press and hold the setup button and follow the prompts. Most setups can be completed in around half an hour.
Wyze offers plenty of cameras, specializing in indoor security cameras and video doorbells. Most Wyze cameras have 1080p HD resolution with excellent image quality. Other equipment is also offered, including:
- Robot vacuums
- Garage door controls
- Smart light bulbs
- Smart door locks
- Smart thermostats
You can save money by purchasing a home security kit, including the basic equipment kit. The basic kit costs just $60, including a keypad, three entry sensors, and a base station.
You can buy a camera for an additional $20 or explore their more expensive packages.
Wyze cameras have 720p or 1080p HD resolution; the Wyze Cam v3 is weather-resistant and suitable for indoor or outdoor use, though many of Wyze's cameras are indoor only.
Wyze offers an excellent selection of smart home equipment, starting with the Wyze app, which is available on iOS and Android and helps you integrate your system with Z-wave equipment, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. You can also buy smart devices, such as vacuums and smart lights, thermostats, etc., from Wyze.
- Monthly fees: Professional monitoring is available for $5 monthly.
- Equipment: Wyze is incredibly reasonable - you can buy cameras for just $20, and complete security bundles start at under $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cameras are easy on your budget and feature-packed.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze supports you in monitoring your home security, free cloud storage is offered, and you can live stream your system from within the app.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize your motion sensors and sensitivity. You can receive motion-activated notifications.
- Field of view: Most Wyze cameras have a 130-degree field of view.
- Mobile app: The app has some negative reviews due to poor quality and bugs.
- Flimsy hardware: Wyze's hardware is occasionally reported flimsy; EZVIZ feels much sturdier.
- Environment sensors: Wyze doesn't offer environment sensors.
- Limited compatibility: Wyze offers compatibility with many If This Then That (IFTTT) equipment, but some popular integrations are missed, such as Nest Thermostat compatibility.
Wyze or EZVIZ?
Wyze and EZVIZ offer some innovative home products and similar functionality, including 1080p video quality and a live view of your system via a handy app. They are similarly priced. Regarding the best home security cameras, EZVIZ wins for hardware quality and variety. But Wyze overall fits better into a smart security system.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.