Ecobee is a Canadian provider of smart home devices such as smart thermostats and smart cameras. They were established in 2007 and offer refurbished equipment to allow you to meet your security needs without breaking the bank.
Wyze is a new provider established in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees wanting to provide affordable cameras. Wyze offers indoor cameras and video doorbells for less than $30 per month. We'll look at each provider in-depth to see what they can provide you with.
Wyze vs Ecobee: What do they have in common?
- Indoor cameras: Wyze and Ecobee specialize in indoor cameras.
- Mobile app: You'll manage your security cameras via a trusty mobile app, including a live feed. You can download the app on Android or iOS devices.
- Professional monitoring: You'll have the peace of mind of professional monitoring if you choose.
- Cellular backup: You won't have access to cellular backup, though there is some limited battery-powered backup.
- Video quality: You can purchase 1080p video HD cameras with each provider.
- Smart thermostats: Wyze and Ecobee can help you run your home more efficiently with Wi-Fi-enabled smart thermostats.
- Pricing: You can save money by purchasing a camera from Wyze or Ecobee. Ecobee offers refurbished cameras, and Wyze is one of the most affordable providers.
- Smart home automation: Wyze and Ecobee offer compatibility with an array of automation equipment, including Amazon Alexa.
Wyze vs Ecobee: What are their differences?
- Refurbished products: Ecobee offers refurbished cameras, allowing you to save up to 60% from the product price.
- Home appliances: Wyze offers more home appliances.
- Doorbell cameras: Wyze has more video doorbell options.
- Hardware quality: Wyze hardware is sometimes reported to have a cheap, plastic feel. It doesn't give the impression of longevity.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze launched in 2017, created by ex-Amazon employees wanting to provide cheap cameras with valuable features. Wyze offers competitively priced home security cameras, starting at just $20. Let's take a look at what Wyze can offer.
Wyze has a straightforward installation process. There are no dedicated installation services, but it's so simple - you shouldn't need it. The wire-free cameras are the most straightforward.
It's as easy as plugging in your camera, holding the setup button, and waiting to be walked through the setup process.
Wyze focuses on indoor cameras but offers a video doorbell, too. Examples of additional equipment available include:
- Automatic gun cabinets
- Robot vacuums
- Garage door controllers
- Smart bulbs
- Smart locks
You can buy a kit if you're looking for a complete security system. The cheapest kit includes:
- Three contact sensors
Wyze cameras are available in 720 and 1080p HD resolution and usually have color night vision and two-way audio (video doorbell) and crisp pictures. Most have a pan-tilt-zoom facility and a good field of view.
Wyze offers some good smart home features. The Wyze app is available on iPhone and Android and is a great add-on. You can add third-party automation such as If This Then That (IFTTT) equipment (Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, etc.). Wyze has some dedicated smart home equipment such as smart lights, thermostats, etc.
- Monthly fees: Wyze doesn't charge monthly fees, but if you want professional monitoring, you'll pay $5 per month.
- Equipment: Equipment costs start from $20 for individual cameras; you can purchase a home security kit for $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cameras are the cheapest on the market.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze provides free cloud storage, which is a rare benefit.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring is available via Noonlight.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize your motion sensor's sensitivity and range.
- Smart home products: Wyze offers various smart home products and compatibility with third-party tools.
- Mobile app: The mobile app is buggy and has some poor reviews.
- Flimsy equipment: Some customers report that the equipment feels weak/fragile. Ecobee's equipment seems sturdier.
Ecobee: What you need to know
Ecobee was first known for the smart thermostat. Then it began offering complete security systems and advanced security cameras. Let's break down what Ecobee has to offer.
The installation process varies; the EcoBee SmartCamera can be up and running in minutes, but you'll need to drill into your wall to attach the mount. If you're installing a smart thermostat, you may need professional assistance. While comprehensive guides are available on the Ecobee website, professional assistance doesn't seem to be available.
Ecobee offers a vast array of equipment, including:
- Door sensors
- Window sensors
- Wi-Fi Thermostats
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Voice-controlled smart thermostat
- Switch + Smart speaker
Ecobee offers a smart speaker, thermostat, and more. Ecobee has a growing product range, including third-party automation. Available third-party integrations include Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Equipment costs: There are bundles, including cameras, for $249, but you can purchase individual cameras for $99. Wyze is much cheaper unless you buy a refurbished camera.
- Monthly costs: Monthly costs are optional - you don't have to purchase Ecobee Haven, but your capabilities will be limited without it. You can pay $5 per month and store video footage from one camera, or you can pay $10 monthly for unlimited storage and RapidSOS response.
- Refurbished products: Ecobee offers certified refurbished products. You can save 60% off your usual price by purchasing refurbished Ecobee products.
- Professional monitoring: Professionals can monitor your system for just $10 a month.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you can control your system with voice commands.
- Smart home integration: Ecobee has excellent smart thermostats and compatibility with several If This, Then That (IFTTT) products, including Apple Homekit, allowing you to design your smart home ecosystem.
- Installation: No professional installation is available, but installation can be quite complex. You may require a professional to assist you.
- No environmental sensors: Ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to issues such as power cuts; there's no cellular backup or monitoring.
Wyze or Ecobee cameras?
Wyze and Ecobee are solid, smart home security options with excellent indoor security camera options and motion-activated notifications. If you're looking for outdoor cameras, you'll want to look elsewhere. The Wyze thermostat can help you save money and is compatible with more dedicated home automation. Ecobee is more expensive but does feel sturdier and has fewer mobile app complaints. It's worth taking a chance on Wyze if you want a more affordable and efficient option.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.