Home security systems are quickly becoming essential, and one of the critical parts of your security system is your security cameras. There are plenty of cameras with different functionalities offered by different providers. Wyze and Arlo are two great providers.
Wyze is a new provider launched by two ex-Amazon employees to create high-quality surveillance cameras for a low cost.
Arlo is a flexible provider best known for providing quality wireless cameras without professional monitoring. Each provider has pros and cons; let's look at what they can offer you.
Wyze vs Arlo: What do they have in common?
- Night vision: Wyze and Arlo offer night vision cameras.
- Two-way audio: Two-way talk is a useful feature that makes it seem like you're home - even if you're not.
- Weatherproofing: Wyze and Arlo offer weatherproof camera options.
- Built-in sirens: Many Arlo and Wyze cameras have a built-in siren.
- Flexibility: You'll have flexibility with each provider; you aren't required to have long-term contracts.
- Voice control: Arlo and Wyze are compatible with Amazon Alexa, allowing you to use voice commands to control your system.
- Mobile app: You can view your camera system via a mobile app, available on Android and iOS.
Wyze vs Arlo: What are the differences?
- Local storage: Wyze and Arlo offer local storage, but Arlo cameras can hold up to 2TB of storage - Wyze only supports up to 32GB Micro SD cards.
- Professional monitoring: Wyze offers professional monitoring - Arlo doesn't. Arlo only allows you to call 911 from the app.
- Pricing: Wyze is much cheaper than Arlo; Wyze cameras start from $20. The Arlo Pro 4 will cost you at least $160.
- Spotlight cameras: Most of Arlo's cameras come with a built-in spotlight.
- Camera resolution: Arlo cameras have a higher resolution; the Ultra range offers 4k resolution. Wyze's best cameras offer 1080p resolution - most are 720p.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze began as an idea between ex-Amazon workers wanting to provide competitively priced cameras with various features. Wyze cameras are affordable (some under $30) with various advanced features, including adjustable motion sensors. Let's look at what Wyze can offer you.
Wyze's installation process is straightforward, especially for wireless security cameras. You could hire your own tradesperson since there's no dedicated professional installation, but you won't need it as the installation is simple. You only need to plug in your camera, wait a few seconds, and hold the setup button. From there, you'll be walked through the setup.
Wyze offers a variety of indoor cameras plus a video doorbell; examples of equipment include:
- Automatic vacuums
- Gun cabinets
- Garage door controllers
- Smart lights
- Wire-free cameras
- Smart locks
If you're buying home security equipment, you should consider one of their bundles. The cheapest security kit is $60, including:
- Three entry sensors
Wyze cameras have pan-tilt-zoom features, good field of view, and color night vision. There’s no 4k resolution; most cameras are 720 or 1080p HD.
Wyze offers good smart home potential. The Wyze app is an excellent addition to any monitoring system, and you can enjoy add-ons such as If This Then That (IFTTT) equipment (Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.). Wyze also has a dedicated range of smart home equipment, including smart thermostats, locks, vacuums, etc.
- Monthly fees: Wyze can monitor your system for $5 a month.
- Equipment: Equipment costs vary depending on what you buy, but Wyze cameras start at $20, and packages start from $60.
- Pricing: Wyze cams are some of the cheapest available, but they're also feature-packed.
- Smart home products: Your security cameras can form a crucial part of your smart home.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze provides several options, including free cloud storage.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring is available via Noonlight.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize your motion sensor ranges and sensitivity.
- Mobile app: The mobile app has some bugs and other issues.
- Professional installation: You can't access professional installation.
- Local storage: Arlo offers more local storage.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo was founded in 2014 as part of tech giant Netgear before becoming independent in 2018. Arlo offers flexible, weather-resistant home security cameras. Arlo is best known for their floodlight cameras. Let's take a look at what they can provide you with.
Arlo cameras are as easy as it gets to install - Arlo customers report that it's simple with a Wi-Fi setup. Arlo's video doorbell takes an average of 5 minutes to set up. All Arlo equipment has a good reputation for being easy to set up; even their more complicated security systems take less than an hour to get up and running.
Arlo offers some of the best outdoor security cameras available, with 4k resolution and advanced motion detection. The Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Pro 3 are some of the more popular models, despite the four being newer. In general, some of the equipment available included:
- Indoor security cameras
- Floodlight cameras
- Smart baby monitors
- Outdoor security cameras
- Cameras with motion sensors
Many Arlo cameras offer 1080p HD resolution (or 4k resolution), two-way talk, and pan-tilt-zoom features. They also offer up to 2TB of local storage with MicroSD card slots.
Arlo provides some smart home options, including Telguard, Wink, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, and more. They recently launched "Works with Arlo," which promises to add more smart home integrations over time.
- Equipment: Most Arlo cameras start from $100; affordable camera kits start from $249.99.
- Monthly costs: There are various storage options; monthly fees start from $2.99 for one camera with continuous recording, allowing you to store 30 days of recordings in cloud storage. You can pay $9.99 for up to 10 cameras or $14.99 per month for up to 20 cameras with premium features.
- Smart item detection: Arlo offers advanced motion detection, including person detection. Arlo cameras can differentiate between people and animals.
- Brilliant video quality: You'll enjoy excellent resolution, including 4k resolution from the Ultra HD.
- Flexibility: You won't be forced to sign up for a long-term contract.
- Battery life: Arlo's battery life could stand to improve.
- Monthly costs: You’ll pay quite a lot for video recording.
- Higher upfront cost: Wyze is much cheaper than Arlo.
Arlo or Wyze?
If you're looking for professional monitoring, low-cost cameras, and great value for money, then Wyze is an excellent choice. But they don't offer the best quality cameras on the market - if you're looking for the best quality cameras, Arlo wins. You'll pay extra for the privilege, but you'll have access to the best video quality that money can buy.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.