Adding security cameras is an excellent idea if you want to upgrade your home security system. Wyze and Abode offer an array of cameras to add to your security setup.
Wyze was launched in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees; Wyze is best known for offering affordable cameras and professional monitoring options.
Abode was launched in 2014 by a former ADT executive. Abode offers feature-packed, affordable cameras with smart home integration. Before making any decisions for your smart home security system, let's look at what Wyze and Abode offer.
Wyze vs Abode: What do they have in common?
- Affordable pricing: Wyze and Abode offer cameras for a low price.
- Security kits: Wyze and Abode offer all-in-one security kits to cover all security needs.
- Video doorbell: Wyze and Abode offer doorbell cameras.
- Flexibility: You can buy your equipment flexibly; you won't be forced to take out a subscription plan or contract.
- HD cameras: You'll be able to choose from a variety of 1080p HD video cameras.
- Professional monitoring: You can choose between professional monitoring and self-monitoring for an optional monthly fee.
- Smart locks: You don't need to worry about locking yourself out; you'll have access to smart door locks and other smart home automation.
- Voice commands: Using Amazon Alexa, you can control your security cameras with voice prompts.
- Mobile app: You can monitor a live feed and receive motion-activated notifications via a trusty mobile app. The mobile apps are available on iOS and Android.
Wyze vs Abode: What are the differences?
- Professional installation: Your Abode security system can be professionally installed.
- Environmental sensors: Abode offers environmental sensors that can save you thousands of dollars in the event of a leak or emergency. Wyze doesn't.
- Field of view: Abode offers wide-angled cameras with a greater field of view than Wyze.
- Occupancy sensor: Abode offers occupancy sensors that can help you save money and manage your system more effectively.
Abode: What you need to know
Abode is a low-price provider of smart home security, offering flexibility and compatibility with various Z-wave technologies such as Apple Homekit, Amazon's Alexa, and Google Nest. Abode offers professional monitoring, too. You can buy environmental sensors and other extras from Abode.
You can install your Abode system alone; everything you require will come with your order. Setup is usually complete in under one hour, but you may want professional assistance for more complex wired systems.
You can choose professional installation in some areas, but the cost varies.
Abode has straightforward packages, but if you need individual items, you can buy that too. Equipment available includes:
- Gateway control panel (or Iota control panel for an extra $30)
- Door and window sensors
- Motion detectors
- Glassbreak sensors
- Carbon monoxide sensors
- Indoor and outdoor sirens
- Water leak detectors
- Power switch
- Occupancy sensor
- Temperature/light sensor
- Smoke alarm
- Wide-angle motion camera
- Abode indoor cameras
Abode manufactures various smart home devices, including smoke detectors, temperature sensors, etc. But Abode also has compatibility with Apple Homekit, Alexa, Google Nest, and other equipment.
- Equipment cost: You'll have to purchase a starter kit for a reasonable price; the Abode Iota is the most popular kit, and you can expect to pay less than $250 for an equipment kit.
- Monthly costs: If you're self-monitoring, you won't have to pay monthly fees unless you're subscribing to a cellular backup plan for $8 or professional monitoring for $20.
- Flexibility: You have full flexibility when designing your Abode system, select what you want, including self-monitoring, professional monitoring, etc.
- Camera quality: 1080p HD quality is excellent, especially at a low price.
- Price: This is an ideal option for those on a budget looking for a comprehensive system. You aren't forced into any commitment, and the equipment is competitively priced.
- Online reviews: Some of the online reviews for the Abode app and system are less than perfect.
- Outdoor cameras: There are no outdoor cameras which is a shame, as outdoor cameras represent a significant deterrence.
Wyze: What you need to know
Wyze was launched in 2017 by ex-Amazon employees. Their unique selling point is affordable cameras and easy installation. Several advanced features include adjustable motion zones and sensitivity. Let's break down what Wyze has to offer.
Wyze has effortless installation; you connect your camera to an outlet, wait a few seconds, then press the setup button. After initiating the setup, the system walks you through the necessary steps. Professional installation isn't available, but Wyze's customer support line is responsive and available if you require troubleshooting.
Wyze offers video doorbells and indoor security cameras, but they also offer additional equipment, including:
- Smart lightbulbs
- Smart door locks
- Gun safes
- Garage door controllers
- Automatic vacuums
If you want to save money, you can consider a security bundle. The cheapest bundle is $60 and comprises three entry sensors, a keypad, and a base station. You can add a camera on an a la carte basis or purchase a more expensive system.
Wyze offers several smart home options; the Wyze app is available on Android and iOS and helps you to integrate third-party smart home options. Wyze cameras are compatible with Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, and Amazon Alexa. Amazon Alexa allows you to use voice control to manage your system. You can also buy from Wyze's dedicated home automation line, which includes smart thermostats, lights, vacuums, etc.
- Equipment: Equipment pricing will vary, but Wyze is very reasonable. The cameras start at only $20, and you can purchase a whole system with one camera for less than $100.
- Monthly fees: Thanks to Wyze's partnership with Noonlight, professional monitoring is available for just $5 per month.
- Professional monitoring: If you purchase a security kit, you can buy professional monitoring monthly. But this is optional, and Wyze also makes a great DIY home security system.
- Pricing: Wyze cams are incredibly cheap; some competitors offer comparable products for 10x more.
- Free cloud storage: Wyze offers plenty of free storage and live streaming via the app. You can monitor your system effectively.
- Smart home products: You can design an incredible smart home ecosystem, and the cameras mesh with various third-party integrations.
- Customizable motion sensors: You can customize activity zones and motion sensitivity.
- Mobile app: The mobile app has reported bugs and issues.
- Outdoor cameras: Wyze doesn't offer outdoor cameras.
Wyze or Abode?
Which camera system is best for you will depend on what you're looking for. They are similar systems, offering wired and wireless cameras. Wyze is more affordable for standalone cameras and offers great functions, along with local storage and plenty of adaptations. But if you're looking for the best home security system, Abode is worth considering. Abode can offer you a more comprehensive system, including professional installation, monitoring, and environmental sensors.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.