Protect America is a Texas-based security provider that has made a name by offering high-quality hardware (manufactured by GE). They represent a top option for those wanting a non-cellular plan.
Vivint provides services to more than 1.4 million customers across North America and is an excellent option for those wanting a service that doesn't require a large upfront downpayment.
Vivint vs Protect America Home Security - What are the similarities?
- Smart home capabilities: You can access similar smart home options with both, such as smart door locks, Z-wave compatible equipment, and smart thermostats.
- Long-term contracts: You'll need to sign up for a long-term commitment of several years before accessing these services.
- Short moneyback guarantee: You'll only have 3-days to return your purchase for a refund, which isn't very long to see how the equipment works.
- Financing: You can finance your purchase, meaning you'll pay for everything as a monthly fee. This usually means you'll pay more over time; however, a large upfront deposit isn't required.
- Lifetime warranty: Lifetime warranties are rare, but Vivint and Protect America both offer one.
Vivint vs Protect America Home Security - What are the differences?
- Installation: Vivint only offers professional installation; however, you can choose to install Protect America systems on a DIY basis.
- Mobile app: While the apps promise similar functionalities and peace of mind, Protect America's mobile app scores consistently lower than Vivint's.
- Cellular backup: You can get cellular backup with both; however, Protect America's costs for this aren't very clear cut, and it's substantially more costly. The cost for this is automatically built into Vivint's costs.
- Price-match: Protect America promises a low-price guarantee in which they'll match the price of any competitor for the same wireless home security coverage within 7-days of your purchase.
Vivint: What you need to know
Vivint offers high-quality home security that you can monitor from your phone. In addition to this, you have several packages to choose from, all without upfront costs. They all come with professional installation too.
Three Vivint smart home packages are on offer, ranging from a single sky control panel, motion sensors, and Google home integration to a multi-layered bundle which may include:
- Control panel
- Motion detectors
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Smoke detectors
- Heat, freeze, and flood sensors
- Key fob
- Doorbell camera
- Smart thermostat
The monthly monitoring service allows you to pay a set price (depending on the cameras you include). Packages begin at $30 per month to around $50, which is the same as Vivint's monthly monitoring service. You're limited to four cameras per account. You can sign on to a three or five-year contract. You can cancel your contract as long as the equipment is paid off.
Vivint sends a professional out to install your equipment. Once everything is set up, your technician can walk you through everything - including the mobile app and its features, ensuring you understand how to get the best out of your new security system.
Vivint is a very versatile system and can connect with almost anything. A standout feature that Vivint offers is the ability to sync with a Nest thermostat. It can also pair with other Z-wave devices such as Amazon's Alexa (enabling you also to use voice control). Vivint also offers a dedicated line of smart home products, which is something that Protect America doesn't have.
- Free professional installation
- Excellent customer support
- It is compatible with a wide variety of smart home devices, making it an ideal smart home security system
- No upfront costs
- You'll need to pay an activation fee
- If you move and plan to keep Vivint, you must pay a re-installation fee
- You can't install it yourself
Protect America Home Security: What you need to know
Now that we've seen what Vivint offers, let's take an in-depth look at what Protect America offers you. Protect America is a reliable provider with great hardware such as home security cameras, self-install options, and reliable security services.
Protect America systems are primarily designed for DIY installation. However, you can pay a $250 fee for professional installation if you want it. It's nice to have this option, as some customers report requiring assistance. Still, the customer support line is reportedly responsive and knowledgeable.
Protect America offers a range of equipment, from security cameras (both outdoor and indoor cameras) to door and window sensors. You can also purchase upgrades such as smoke detectors and other environmental detectors.
The basic package
- Control panel
- Door/window sensors
- Motion detector
- Yard sign
- Door/window stickers
Additional products include:
- Indoor camera
- Outdoor camera
- Video doorbell
- Doorbell camera
- Flood detector
- Smoke detector
- Medical alert pendant
Protect America systems have cellular monitoring, broadband, and good availability of home automation options, including the Amazon Echo and Z-wave product integration. Broadband and cellular monitoring offer a good amount of home automation options, featuring Amazon Echo Dot integration and Z-Wave product integration. Other possible features include garage door controllers and smart locks.
When you sign up for a new security system, there are a variety of costs to consider. Here's what you'll need to look at to sign up with Protect America.
- Equipment costs: At Protect America, basic equipment is included in their bundled packages with no upfront fees. Additional equipment can be purchased a la carte.
- Installation costs: Protect America's systems are designed to be self-installed. You can, however, choose to pay $250 to have the alarm professionally installed.
- Monthly costs: Professional monitoring options start at $19.99 for landline monitoring and $41.99 for broadband and cellular monitoring.
- DIY installation is available, which can help you save some money
- Excellent quality hardware
- Lifetime warranty
- Financing is available
- Poor quality mobile app
- Not as cheap as other DIY systems
Vivint or Protect America Home Security?
When it comes to deterring burglars and other criminals, a home security system is one of the best tools in a homeowner's arsenal. But it can be challenging to know which provider offers the best home security system. Suppose you're looking for DIY home security with optional add-ons such as professional installation. In that case, you should consider Protect America, but if you're looking for a smart home ecosystem with an excellent mobile app, then Vivint is without a doubt the home security company for you.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.