To say 2020 has been a crazy year is as understated as an understatement can be. We’ve never been more in need of all the holly, jolly merriment the winter holidays bring, and it’s never too early to start shopping for gifts for your friends and family.
When you’re checking those lists and checking them twice, you’re likely considering some home automation and home security products. There are more exciting smart gadgets, gizmos and systems than ever these days, and they can help keep your loved ones safe, make their everyday tasks easier and offer high marks when it comes to cool factor.
Here are 10 smart home & security tech products that will surprise and delight your family and friends this holiday season—we bet you’ll find something to put on your own wishlist here, too.
1. Eufy RoboVac G30
A vacuum isn’t the most exciting gift to get, unless of course it does the vacuuming for you, which is exactly what this new one from Eufy does—and does it incredibly well. From hardwood floors to medium-pile carpets, the Eufy RoboVac G30 removes dirt, dust and pet hair. With maximum suction power, it sucks in all the best ways.
You don’t have to lift a finger, even to turn it on, as this smart vacuum works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can control it with your voice. You can also put it on a schedule or turn it on any time via an app. Now, if only there was a smart toilet cleaner.
- Smart Dynamic Navigation 2.0: With the Path Tracking Sensor, Smart Dynamic Navigation 2.0 allows for purposeful cleaning across all surfaces...
- 2000Pa of Hard-Hitting Suction: The ultra-strong 2000Pa of suction power ensures more debris is picked up across all surfaces giving you...
- App Control with Cleaning History: Complete all your cleaning needs right from your smartphone. When the job is done check-out where and...
- BoostIQ Technology: Automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed—so you get the best...
- What You Get: RoboVac G30, Charging Base, AC Power Adapter, 2 Side Brushes, Additional Unibody Filter, Cleaning Tool, 5 Cable Ties, Welcome...
2. Amazon Smart Plug
Perfect for a stocking stuffer or secret Santa gift, this Amazon Smart Plug is all about convenience. Most anything you plug into it can then be turned off and on with your voice via Alexa. Think fans, lights and appliances. You can also put those devices on a timer so they go off and on according to your schedule. It’s one of those gifts they’ll wonder how they were ever able to live without once they start using it.
- Amazon Smart Plug works with Alexa to add voice control to any outlet.
- Certified for Humans - Struggle-free, tinker-free, stress-free. No patience needed—it's actually simple.
- Schedule lights, fans, and appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away.
- Simple to set up and use—plug in, open the Alexa app, and start using your voice.
- Compact design keeps your second outlet free.
3. August Wifi Smart Lock
Give the gift of safety and convenience with this smart lock. It works with most any existing deadbolt, and it’s easy to install. Once it’s ready to go, you can then use an app to monitor when people come and go. Plus you can lock and unlock it from anywhere you have your phone. You can also continue to use your existing keys when that’s more convenient. It’s a great gift for anyone with children or those who have cleaners, repairmen or others that they want to let in and out of their home without having to take the risk of leaving a key under the doormat.
- A key that works everywhere. Lock the front door. And unlock it. From anywhere.
- Connected right out of the box. August Wi-Fi Smart Lock requires no additional bridge to connect to Wi-Fi, so you get full voice and remote...
- Upgrade your existing lock. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door - so you can continue to use your existing...
- Never fumble for your keys against Auto-unlock detects when you arrive and unlocks the door. Enable auto-lock to lock when the door closes.
- Send secure keys to friends, family or people you trust instantly, all from the August app. Cancel access any time.
4. Google Nest Hub Max
It’s a security camera. It’s a digital picture frame. It’s an entertainment center and so much more. This Google Nest Hub offers countless features and abilities that will make it a hub of activity for any home. The screen is bigger than ever (10 inches), and the camera can help you keep an eye on your home while you’re away. It offers an abundance of smart home controls for convenience and fun and makes a great gift for the entire family.
$229, Google Store
5. Sonos Move
Sonos fans have long been waiting for this addition from the brand. It’s a portable, weatherproof speaker that can be used indoors or outdoors. The sound quality is second to none, and you can control it with your voice via the Sonos App and Apple AirPlay in order to change songs, check the news or get answers to your most pressing questions. No Wi-Fi? No problem, since you can stream to this speaker using Bluetooth, whether you’re at the beach, a campground or anywhere else. This speaker makes a great gift for college students, music junkies or anyone else who likes a soundtrack to accompany their lives wherever they go.
- The durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening
- Easy to use - Setup takes minutes, and control is simple with the Sonos app, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, and your voice
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - Stream over Wi-Fi and connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home. Switch to Bluetooth when you're away and...
- Voice control - Amazon Alexa is built right in so in Wi-Fi you can play music, check news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and...
- Battery that lasts - Enjoy up to 11 hours of continuous play time and deep, powerful sound. Easily recharge Move on the included base, or a...
6. Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control
This award-winning smart thermometer is a gift that will keep on giving for years, saving the recipient money and keeping them comfortable. A SmartSensor continually adjusts the thermostat based on who is in or isn’t in the room to help save energy, and since it has Alexa built-in, you can control it using your voice or a smart device. Installation is simple, and it works with many smart-home systems such as Google Assistant, Apple Home Kit, Samsung SmartThings and IFTTT.
- Place SmartSensor in the most important room, like your bedroom, child’s room, or office to keep it the perfect temperature
- Smart Home & Away detects your presence and automatically adjusts the temperature for comfort when you’re home and reduced energy use when...
- Time of Use cools or heats your home during times when energy is less expensive without impacting comfort
- Named “Best Overall Smart Thermostat” by Tom’s Guide
- Take control of your temperature from anywhere with the ecobee app
7. SimpliSafe Economy Home Security System
There’s no better gift than safety, and this home security system kit from SimpliSafe is a great way to help protect loved ones. It’s simple to set up—no drilling or tools necessary—and there are no contracts to sign. Just plug it in, and it’s ready to go. This seven-piece set is smaller and more powerful than before, and it includes a base station, wireless keypad, motion sensor, three entry sensors and a keychain remote.
- Wireless "Do it yourself" home security system
- Monitoring stations are ul-certified with a built in cellular connection
- Unbeatable 24/7 security for just $14.99 each month
- 8-piece Bundle
- Frustration-free packaging
8. Furbo Dog Camera
Dog lovers (and their dogs!) will flip for this camera. It allows pet owners to check in on their furry friends when they’re away, have conversations with them and capture video of them and their adorable ways. You’ll also receive alerts when they bark or if there’s an emergency. What really stands about this camera is that it allows you to toss your pet a treat at any time via an app on your phone. (Bow) wow!
- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: livestream video to monitor your pet on your phone with a 160-degree wide-angle view, day & night.
- 2-Way Audio & BARKING ALERT: Furbo’s BARKING SENSOR detects when your dog is barking. It sends push notifications to your smartphone when...
- Fun TREAT TOSSING: TOSS a treat to your dogs via the free Furbo iOS/Android app. Fill it with your dogs’ favorite treats & play a game of...
- Easy 3-Step Setup: 1) plug in to a power outlet using its USB cord 2) download the Furbo app 3) connect to your home wifi.
- Stable internet connection & Wifi signal are recommended for best performance.
9. Arlo Video Doorbell
A doorbell camera adds convenience and security to a front door, and this one from Arlo gets top marks. It allows people to see who’s at their door and speak with them via two-way audio. It works day or night, and notifications are sent when activity is detected. A built-in siren can be triggered if something is amiss.
- See more at your front door - See a person from head to toe or a package on the ground with 180-degree view.
- Get a clearer picture - Detailed video in HD with HDR ensures you see the details even in low light or bright conditions.
- No hub required, connect directly to Wi-Fi.
- Smarter alerts, quicker action - Receive notifications for people, vehicles, and packages so you can take quick action such as sound the...
- Never miss a moment - See what triggered a motion event before it happened. With Arlo Foresight, the video doorbell captures video prior to...
10. First Alert Onelink Safe & Sound
This Alexa-enabled smoke and carbon monoxide detector is an apropos gift for new homeowners or anyone who might want to upgrade their existing detector. It can be controlled remotely, and it also functions as a speaker so they can listen to music or podcasts, listen to audiobooks or check the weather. It’s a great mix of function and fun that makes it an exciting gift for an entire family. (We have a deeper look in this Onelink review.)
- About safe and sound: First Alert introduces Onelink Safe and Sound, an Alexa enabled, Apple HomeKit compatible hardwired photoelectric...
- Easy mobile controls: Get remote notifications of an emergency in your home for 24/7 safety, plus track carbon monoxide levels, customize...
- No more confusing beeps: Track battery levels in the app and optimize safety by knowing when it’s time to replace them. AirPlay 2 enables...
- Voice alerts: Key voice location technology annoz the type and location of the danger in your home, keeping your entire home safe and...
- Easy to install: Optimal ceiling placement enhances the speaker’s acoustic quality; make installation fast and easy by using the included...
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.