When you’re living in an apartment, it’s a no-brainer to lock your doors when you get home. Keeping your door locked is a good start, but coming in through a door isn’t the only way that thieves can enter your place, so it’s important to beef up your apartment window security as well.
There are multiple ways you can secure apartment windows to keep your home safe. Whether you’re looking to invest a few dollars or a few hundred, here are some simple and effective ways to make sure that your windows are secured.
6 Ways to Secure Your Apartment Windows
- Locks. Most windows already come with a lock, but there are additional locks you can purchase to make it even tougher for bad guys to get in. You can buy window locks that you can only open with a key or easy locks that slide directly onto your window. Another great option is a pin lock for ground floor windows and sliding glass doors.
- Sensors. Window sensors will alert you if someone has opened the window. You can also buy models that can sense whether you’ve left your window open or even let you know if there’s a fire.
- Security Bars and Grilles. Security bars can be either inside or outside your window and they make it incredibly difficult for a burglar to enter through that window, even if it’s broken. These are generally used in higher crime areas and have quick-release features from the inside in case of a fire or emergency.
- Security Cameras. Installing a security camera outside your home can actually deter someone from targeting your home in the first place. It also allows you to see what’s happening in real time at your home since most cameras will give you a way to view the footage live.
- Motion Lights. Motion lights can deter thieves trying to come near your home at night, since they are triggered when someone walks nearby. Some models can even send you alerts when the lights are triggered.
- Bushes/Shrubbery. You may not have control over the shrubs you plant around a rental, but if you own your own apartment or a condo, planting bushes or shrubbery with thorns or sharp edges can be a great way to keep anyone from attempting to break in.
Related: Check out all our guides on apartment security
The 7 Best Products for Securing Your Apartment Windows
These are our current picks for the best options for adding an extra layer of security to your windows without breaking the bank… or your lease.
Sliding Window Locks by Momentum Brands
If you’re looking for a low-cost way to secure apartment windows, these are a good option. These are made of a durable aluminum and come in a pack of 8. It’s a quick and easy way to burglar-proof the windows in your apartment.
Installation is fast, and you can reuse them to secure apartment windows again in the future. You also don’t have to worry about having tools to install and, at less than a dollar a piece, they are an affordable way to up your window security in your apartment.
- Key Features: reusable, quick installation, no tools needed
Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
This sensor will detect whether your window is opened and send an alert to your smartphone. This smart sensor will even detect temperature changes that could alert you to a fire. It also works with Google Assistant, Alexa, SmartThings and ZigBee.
- Key Features: Smart home integration, 24/7 monitoring, voice controls, simple setup, long-lasting battery
- Versatile Monitoring: All-in-one open/close, vibration, orientation, angle (tilt), and temperature sensor for multipurpose functionality
- 24/7 Monitoring: Receive instant phone alerts if a door, window, cabinet or drawer opens unexpectedly
- Stay Safe: Get a notification if you forgot to close your doors or windows to ensure your home stays safe
- Requirements: Must have SmartThings App and SmartThings Hub or compatible device with SmartThings Hub functionality (connected devices sold...
- Compatibility: Works with Google, Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, and Zigbee communication protocols
ISmart Alarm Window/Door Sensors
This sensor will alert you when your window has been tampered with. It features a magnetic bond that breaks when your window is opened. If the bond breaks, an alert will be sent to your smartphone. They are easy to put up on any window and can be reused. You don’t have to worry about contracts or monitoring by adding these window sensors. If you’re looking to take your security to the next level, you can add on other compatible devices easily through ISmart Home Security.
- Key Features: Battery powered, Alexa and IFTTT compatible, easy installation
- Instant notifications
- Wireless and moveable
- Perfect for doors, windows, cabinets, etc.
- Ismartalarm accessory in a pack of two sensors
- This model is for US and Canada only, and requires an iSmartAlarm CubeOne (hub)
Jeacent Adjustable Window Bar
If you need to secure apartment windows, but don’t feel like spending much cash, a window bar is a simple way to do that. It’s a good alternative to grilles which can be more expensive and sometimes permanent. This one is made of steel and has 22 different adjustable settings. You won’t need any tools at all to install a window bar.
- Key Features: Adjustable, 22 different adjustable settings, high-quality steel construction, lightweight
- ✅ STRENGTHEN HOME SECURITY - High-grade Steel window locks security bar block criminals from entering through sliding glass windows or...
- ✅ ADJUSTABLE - The sliding door security bar extends from 15 1/2" to 29 1/2" with the 22 adjustable settings. Lock the height in place...
- ✅ STOP FORCED ENTRY OR UNEXPECTED ACCIDENT - The steel spring clip provides extra resistance from forced entry and ensures long-term use....
- ✅ NOTICE- BEFORE BUYING, MEASURE the window or door track where the guard will be placed . Window tracks MUST be at least 1 inch wide. The...
- ✅ EASY TO INSTALL - Unique design. No tools required. Stick the lock bar on the window /door track with the supplied adhesive strips. It...
Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera
Deter thieves by installing this powerful outdoor camera outside and have it pointed right at your windows. This model has night vision and is weatherproof. It can also alert you of any motion in your yard and then send an alert to your smartphone. The Nest Cam is Alexa compatible and can also integrate with other Nest items in your home.
If you subscribe to Nest Aware, you can unlock upgraded security features like alerts that can tell you exactly what type of motion was detected.
- Specs: Wireless, 1080p video, 130-degree diagonal field of view, LED lights
- Key Features: Weatherproof, night vision, 2-way communication, 24/7 video recording with cloud storage, easy installation
- 24/7 live video: 130 Degree view shows your home in 1080P HD day and night
- Weatherproof: Camera cable and adapter are all weatherproof
- Clear as day even at night: Night vision evenly illuminates the whole scene. See who's at the door and talk back to get their attention
- Alerts on your phone: Get activity alerts so you know if anything happens while you're away
- Install it yourself: Install yourself and point it anywhere with the unique magnetic mount. No hub required.
Ring Stick Up Cam
This battery powered indoor/outdoor camera will give you notifications when it detects people or pets. It has a nice picture quality with 1080p video and also features 2-way communication. The great thing about this camera is how easy it is to mount and remount. It’s really easy to move it from outside to inside or to another apartment when you move. This camera is also compatible with other Ring products, and you can purchase a video monitoring plan for extra storage if you want to be able to keep your footage. (See our full Ring cameras review here.)
- Specs: 115-degree horizontal view, 1080p video
- Key features: 2-way communication with noise cancellation, Alexa enabled, rechargeable battery pack, 5-15 minute installation process
UR Power Solar Powered Motion Lights
These motion sensor lights will turn on immediately when someone is nearby, illuminating the area with 8 LED lights. They’re waterproof and heatproof, so you won’t have to worry about any environmental damage. They’re solar powered which means you don’t need to worry about changing the batteries. Installation is simple and can be done in minutes without worrying about any clunky wires.
- Tech specs: 10-foot sensor range with 120-degree sensing angle, 5 year solar lifespan
- Key features: Solar powered, wireless, easy installation, weatherproof
- 【Super Bright Lighting】 Equipped with 40 high power LEDs, URPOWER solar motion sensor lights provide high brightness and 120 degrees...
- 【Motion Activated Auto ON/OFF】 The outdoor solar security lights will automatically turn on for 30 seconds when motion is detected with...
- 【Longer Working Time】The solar powered motion lights with 1500mAh battery can work more than 300 sensing times at night, after the 8 hrs...
- 【IP65 Waterproof】Our IP65 waterproof solar outdoor lights can withstand extreme weather conditions. It’s great outdoor motion sensor...
- 【Eco-Friendly】Solar motion sensor flood lights are a superb way to keep your pathways and other outdoor areas illuminated while saving...
There are simple ways to improve your apartment window security without investing a lot of cash. If you are thinking of going beyond locks and installing any security cameras outside of your apartment, make sure that you look into your local privacy laws and speak with your landlord before purchasing anything.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.