Canary Security is a Kickstarter-funded home security provider known for offering affordable, high-quality camera equipment on the international market. Frontpoint is a cellular home security system known for providing excellent equipment, smart home automation options, and monitoring services across North America.
Frontpoint & Canary Security - What do they have in common?
- Installation: Frontpoint and Canary are both primarily designed with DIY installation in mind; professional installation isn't offered
- Warranty: With either company, you'll have a 2-year warranty, giving you plenty of peace of mind
- Video Quality: The security cameras offered are of surprisingly excellent quality. You can see and identify everything without any issues
- Two-way talk: You can purchase products with the two-way talk function; this is a helpful feature that allows you to communicate with people outside of your home, for example, couriers. This is also a helpful feature that functions well for a baby monitor with indoor cameras
Frontpoint & Canary Security - What are their differences?
- Credit checks: Frontpoint requires a credit check before they'll give you a quote for their services; you may need to pay a larger downpayment if you have less-than-perfect credit. Canary doesn't ask you for a credit check of any kind
- Motion detectors: Canary doesn't offer motion sensors. Canary can only alert you to what it sees. Without door or window sensors, you leave parts of your home vulnerable unless you have a camera at every entry and exit point
- Professional monitoring: Canary doesn't offer professional monitoring; Frontpoint does (for a monthly fee)
- Smart Home Integration: There is a significant overlap in the smart home products offered; you can integrate your system with many similar products such as Amazon's Alexa, Google Home, and Apple TV. However, despite this similarity, Frontpoint doubtlessly offers more opportunities for a smart home ecosystem, including smart thermostat integration
- Customer Service: We didn't rate Canary well for customer service. Our Security Nerd had difficulty getting in touch with anyone, and it took several days to receive a response. This contrasts sharply with Frontpoint's excellent reputation for customer support
Canary Security - What you need to know
Installation is an easy DIY process, with a drill-free installation. Customers are given a choice of three mounts to install. If you have any issues, the website can walk you through troubleshooting. Live chat is also an option if you need help.
Currently, Canary only offers cameras and mounts in their line of home security accessories. However, their cameras are high-quality and include night vision in addition to 90DB sirens for your alarm system - one way to get the neighborhood's attention! It is important to note that the Canary Pro has a built-in climate monitor, whereas many other companies sell that accessory separate from the camera.
Basic Security System
- Canary Pro
- Canary View
- Canary Flex
- Secure mount
- Twist mount
- Stake mount
Canary's home automation options are a little sparse. While it does have a model with environmental monitoring, there is no smart lock or light integration yet. Here are the smart home options available with Canary products:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Equipment Costs: You are buying equipment upfront with Canary. However, you can get a deal on equipment by subscribing to either the one or two-year service plans. Equipment costs are affordable, with even the most expensive camera coming in at under $200
- Monthly Costs: If you purchase equipment upfront and want only basic service, there are no monthly fees. If you decide to purchase the membership for premium service, monthly fees are $9.99 a month or $99 per year for one year. A two-year membership brings the cost down to $7.42 per month or $89 per year
- Money-back guarantee: If you don't like your Canary camera within 60 days, you can return it for a full refund. Most security companies offer a much shorter trial period
- Pricing: The most expensive Canary camera, the Canary Flex Wifi model, comes at $129, a bargain considering it is a weatherproof indoor and outdoor camera. It's also incredibly affordable if you want to become a member and unlock higher-tier features like extra video storage and two-way talk
- Unique Features: Most companies can't offer you a smart camera with all of the security features in one place. The Pro model, or All-in-One, has a siren, climate control, and AI technology in one piece of hardware. We also really like that the AI technology will automatically arm and disarm your camera for you based on who it sees leaving the house
- No Door/Window sensors: While Canary can offer advanced motion detection, it can only alert you about what it sees. Without door or window sensors, you leave parts of your home vulnerable unless you have a camera at every entry and exit point
- No monitoring services: Canary doesn't offer professional monitoring plans, with only a panic button available
Frontpoint Security: What you need to know
Not only does Frontpoint shine in the areas of ease of use, flexibility, and DIY functions. They're a great security equipment provider that offers homeowners a comprehensive system compatible with many smart home devices and security solutions.
Frontpoint offers only DIY installation, so there are no professional installation fees to speak of. In addition, Frontpoint customers report that the DIY installation process is straightforward and typically takes under an hour to complete.
Frontpoint offers its automation products such as smart lights and a smart lock, but they don't stop there. Frontpoint can also integrate with existing smart home equipment such as Google Assistant, Amazon's Alexa, and Z-wave technologies.
Frontpoint comprises secure, quality equipment available on a flexible a la carte basis, and you can purchase unlimited add ons for your security system. The hub and keypad are tamper-proof, and you can buy pet-sensitive motion sensors which safeguard you against false alarms.
The best part about this equipment is that you can still use your equipment with another company if you decide to leave the Frontpoint monitoring service after your contract is up.
- Monthly Costs: You must select a monitoring plan from Frontpoint based on three different tiers. A basic plan with basic monitoring will run about $35 per month, and as you add more interactive features, the plans increase in price. The highest tier monitoring service is about $50 a month and includes live video streaming and motion-triggered alerts. There are no activation fees
- Equipment Costs: These upfront costs tend to be higher for DIY security companies. The basic bundle starts at $99. You can choose from five bundles or create your customized system
- Hardware options: If you like equipment bundles to choose from, you'll have that option with Frontpoint. But you can also purchase items individually. Home security customer representatives will do a virtual walkthrough to help you decide what you need, too
- Home automation: Frontpoint offers some smart home options, including a doorbell camera, but you can also incorporate existing products into your system Frontpoint can integrate any Z-Wave compatible products, such as a Yale smart door lock
- Credit check: You'll need to pay an upfront deposit if you don't have a good credit rating. It's uncommon
- Price: Frontpoint has some upfront costs and professional monitoring fees
Frontpoint Or Canary Security?
There are a lot of similarities between these two, including two-way audio, HD cameras, and both indoor and outdoor home security cameras. However, there are some differences too. Suppose you're looking for a no-contract DIY home security system. In that case, you'd be better off looking at Canary rather than Frontpoint, you can't self-monitor with Frontpoint, and their credit check will doubtlessly be a downside. However, Frontpoint is miles ahead of Canary Security in terms of smart home security, and you may appreciate a monitoring system if you were to be the victim of a break-in. Canary doesn't offer any professional monitoring.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.