A solid home security system is becoming essential, and if you've decided to upgrade your home security, you'll have several options. ecobee and eufy provide excellent security cameras.
eufy is a Chinese-owned company launched in 2016 and is best known for providing affordable 5-piece security kits. ecobee launched in 2007 with an excellent smart thermostat and later branched into flexible, DIY home security equipment, including the ecobee SmartCamera.
There are similarities between ecobee and eufy, but also crucial differences. Let's explore what each provider can do for you.
ecobee vs eufy: What do they have in common?
- Affordable pricing: You can purchase a complete system for under $250, regardless of which provider you pick.
- Entry sensors: Entry sensors take your home security to the next level - you can add window and door sensors for your peace of mind.
- Mobile app: You'll monitor everything from a quality mobile app.
- Easy installation: It's an easy DIY installation process.
- Amazon Alexa: eufy and ecobee offer compatibility with Amazon Alexa, which is a great extra perk.
- Video doorbells: Doorbell cameras are basic but efficient home security cameras that can help you monitor your home security.
- Customizable motion detection: Your indoor security cameras will have customizable activity zones.
- Battery life: The battery life is something that customers repeatedly pick up as a disappointing area, so if you want battery-powered equipment, you should carefully consider the battery life.
- Video quality: You can choose between 1080p video cameras.
- Two-way audio: Both providers have two-way audio facilities.
ecobee vs eufy: What are the differences?
- Outdoor cameras: ecobee specializes in indoor cameras, but eufy offers plenty of indoor and outdoor cameras.
- Local storage: eufy has built-in local storage in the base station but doesn't provide MicroSD storage, but ecobee relies heavier on cloud storage.
- Apple Homekit compatibility: Some eufy equipment isn't Apple Homekit compatible, and the motion sensors don't have Apple Homekit compatibility.
- Night vision: Most eufy cameras have night vision.
- Field of view: ecobee cameras have a wider field, with a 180-degree field of view typical. eufy's field of view is usually 140 degrees.
- Refurbished equipment: ecobee offers refurbished equipment for up to 60% off of the retail price.
eufy security: What you need to know
eufy is a flexible, affordable provider with great benefits. You can watch a live feed or playback stored video without any additional fees.
The eufy home app (which is available on Android and iOS) provides alerts and is uncomplicated to use. The handy mobile app will walk you through a step-by-step process for installation, irrespective of the equipment or camera you've chosen. Installation is DIY only, but it's not a complex process; customer support is available if you need extra help or troubleshooting.
Anker, eufy's parent company, provides a variety of home security appliances, cameras, etc., including smart lighting, smart scales, robotic vacuums, etc. You won't purchase an entire home security system from Anker, but you can buy a la carte extras. There are small home security kits available, too. Aside from the video doorbell, you'll need to purchase an additional eufy home base.
eufycams are compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa, and Apple Homekit. Aside from the Anker products mentioned, additional smart devices are not available.
Some well-known eufy products include:
- eufycam 2 Pro: $239
- eufy Floodlight Cam: $279
eufy's cheapest camera is less than $40, and the home base has motion-activated and built-in storage. There's at least 16GB of storage, but you can purchase continuous recording and an additional cloud storage plan for just $3 per month. You can purchase a multi-cam storage package for $10 per month if you need a ten-camera system.
- User friendly: Setting up your new eufy cameras is very easy; you can install everything without assistance, and everything is uncomplicated.
- AI motion detection: Advanced motion detectors tell the difference between passing cars, dogs, humans, etc., reducing the risk of false alarms.
- Storage options: Plenty of storage options are available, with all-inclusive storage and cheap add-ons.
- Motion zones: You can set personalized motion zones.
- Battery life: Some models have poor battery life; you should carefully check the reviews before purchasing anything.
- No SD Card storage: Most eufy cameras don't have MicroSD Card storage.
- No professional monitoring: There are no professional monitoring options.
ecobee: What you need to know
ecobee is a well-known provider launched in 2007 with an excellent smart thermostat; they've since offered security cameras and systems. Let's break down everything ecobee has to offer.
The installation process may vary, the ecobee SmartCamera can be set up quickly, but you'll need to drill into the wall to attach the mount. You may need to hire a professional for the smart thermostat, as it's a fully wired install. Comprehensive online guides are available, but ecobee doesn't provide professional tradesmen.
ecobee offers plenty of equipment, including:
- Entry sensors
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Voice-controlled Wi-Fi smart thermostat
- Switch + Smart speaker
- Security kits
ecobee offers a feature-packed range, including smart speakers, thermostats, and more. Third-party integrations include IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: There are security kits, including cameras, for $249, but you can purchase individual cameras for $99. You can save more by purchasing a refurbished camera.
- Monthly costs: Monthly fees are optional - you don't have to purchase ecobee Haven, but you'll have restricted capabilities. You can subscribe to ecobee Haven and store video footage for $5 per month or pay $10 monthly for unlimited footage and RapidSOS response.
- Refurbished products: ecobee offers approved refurbished products. You can save 60% from your usual cost by purchasing reconditioned ecobee products.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring is available for just $10 a month.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with a three-year warranty.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you'll have voice control at your disposal.
- Installation: You can complete your own DIY installation.
- Smart home integration: ecobee compatibility with excellent IFTTT products, including Apple Homekit, and several smart home products, lets you design your smart home ecosystem.
- No environmental sensors: ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring or safety equipment.
- Cellular backup: Without cellular backup, you're more vulnerable to power cuts and other issues.
eufy or ecobee?
eufy and ecobee have similarities, including compatibility with some Z-wave equipment and iPhone/Android compatible apps. But there are differences, too.
If you're looking for the best smart home devices, ecobee is one of the best-rated smart home security providers. eufy is great, especially if you're looking for affordable outdoor cameras. ecobee offers RapidSOS monitoring for just $10 per month, but eufy doesn't offer any professional monitoring.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.