To increase your home security, you should consider purchasing home security cameras. Security cameras represent an excellent deterrence; most would-be burglars won't target a home with visible security cameras.
Once you've decided to purchase or upgrade home security cameras, your next choice is which provider.
Arlo and ecobee are two great providers with similarities, but key differences exist. Arlo was launched in 2014 as a part of Netgear, though it became an independent company in 2018. Arlo focuses on DIY-home security systems and smart home security. ecobee was launched in 2007 and provides refurbished and brand-new home security cameras and smart home devices. Let's take a look at what they have to offer.
ecobee vs Arlo: What do they have in common?
- Mobile app: You'll manage your security system from a handy mobile app. Your mobile app can send push notifications for motion detection and other issues. The mobile apps are available on iOS and Android.
- Moneyback guarantee: Arlo and ecobee offer a money-back guarantee.
- Video storage: ecobee and Arlo offer cloud storage options.
- Video doorbells: A doorbell camera is a simple way to monitor your home security; you can purchase an affordable video doorbell from each provider.
- Flexibility: You won't be forced to take out a long-term contract; these providers are very flexible.
- Two-way audio: You can use two-way talk with both providers.
- Z-wave compatibility: You'll have compatibility with various IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Field of view: ecobee and Arlo cameras have a 180-degree field of view.
ecobee vs Arlo: What are the differences?
- Refurbished equipment: ecobee offers refurbished hardware, helping you save up to 60% off your purchase price.
- Night vision: Arlo offers night vision cameras.
- Outdoor security cameras: Arlo offers weatherproof outdoor security cameras, keeping your home safe indoors and out — but ecobee focuses on indoor security cameras, aside from the video doorbells.
- Battery life: Arlo's battery-powered equipment has attracted some complaints for poor battery life.
- Cellular backup: Some Arlo cameras can work with cellular backup, which keeps you safe in case of a power cut or Wi-Fi issue.
- Pan-tilt-zoom: ecobee offers pan and tilt cameras; Arlo cameras cannot move once placed.
- Smart thermostat: Arlo doesn't offer smart thermostats, but ecobee launched a popular smart thermostat.
- Video resolution: 1080p is the best that ecobee can offer, but Arlo cameras have 4k resolution capabilities.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo is a recently launched home security provider focusing on smart home security; if you're looking for a complete smart home ecosystem, Arlo is a great choice. Arlo offers simple installation, cutting-edge technology, and smart home devices for a reasonable price.
Arlo's DIY installation process is a simple Wi-Fi configuration that takes just a few minutes - the video doorbells are the easiest products, taking just a few minutes to set up. All products are easy to start with, though. You plug in the base station and open the mobile app to begin. The app can adjust activity zones, record videos, and monitor a live feed.
Arlo doesn't offer some of the critical components of a smart home security system, but they do offer a variety of products, including:
- Arlo Ultra indoor/outdoor cameras
- Arlo Pro (2+3)
- Video doorbells
- Baby monitors
- Customizable floodlights
Most Arlo cameras offer a 180-degree field of view, 4k resolution, and cutting-edge de-warping technology.
Arlo provides multiple automation options, including video doorbells and baby monitors. The new "Works With Arlo" promises more smart home options with time. Current third-party integrations include Amazon Alexa, Telguard, Apple Homekit, Wink, and Google Assistant.
Arlo provides several pricing options, but you can also get discounts for bulk buying. You should pre-plan precisely what you need before buying to avail maximum discounts.
Arlo offers doorbell cameras for around $80 and indoor/outdoor cameras that start from $129 for a basic essential camera.
- Smart item detection: Arlo smart cameras offer advanced item detection that can differentiate between objects, people, and animals and notify you based on what it sees.
- Brilliant video quality: Arlo's camera options have HD video quality, with at least 1080p HD resolution. The Ultra has 4k resolution, which is something most companies can't offer.
- Wide field of view: Arlo cameras offer a 180-degree field of view.
- Baby monitors: Several baby monitors are available, which isn't something that all companies offer.
- Battery life: Arlo's battery life attracts some complaints, which is a shame, given how much of it is battery-powered equipment.
- Higher upfront cost: Since you can't spread the cost, the upfront costs are higher.
- No motion sensors: No motion sensors, contact sensors, etc.
- No smart thermostat: Smart thermostats are offered by various providers; they can help you manage your home and save money on energy bills.
ecobee: What you need to know
ecobee is a Canadian smart security provider that started by offering the ecobee smart thermostat; soon after, it offered complete self-monitoring security systems with a great mobile app (available on iPhone and Android). Let's break down what ecobee has to offer.
The setup process will differ depending on the equipment you've chosen. The ecobee SmartCamera is easy to install in a few minutes, but if you need a smart thermostat, you'll need professional installation as it'll need to be wired into your HVAC system. But, there's no bespoke professional installation provided by ecobee, though there are excellent online guides.
ecobee provides a large selection of equipment, such as:
- Garage door sensors
- Window sensors
- Wi-Fi thermostats
- Smart cameras with voice control
- Switch + Smart speaker
ecobee offers a growing range; right now, that range includes the ecobee app, smart thermostats, speakers, and cameras. Third-party integrations are developing and presently include IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- Equipment costs: You can buy reconditioned equipment to save cash, but you can also buy brand-new security kits (with a camera included) for $249. Separate cameras are available for $99.
- Monthly fees: Monthly subscriptions are optional - ecobee Haven isn't mandatory, but your capabilities can be more restricted without it. You can pay $5 a month and store video footage from one camera or pay $10 monthly for RapidSOS response and unlimited storage.
- Refurbished products: ecobee sells verified used products; you can save up to 60% compared to retail prices.
- Professional monitoring: RapidSOS monitoring is available for just $10 a month.
- Warranty: All equipment comes with a three-year extended warranty.
- Smart home integration: ecobee has great potential for smart home ecosystems - including a smart thermostat and third-party integrations.
- No environmental sensors: ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring.
- Resolution: 1080p video resolution isn't too bad - but 4k resolution is superior.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to power cuts or connectivity issues; there's no cellular backup.
ecobee or Arlo?
Arlo and ecobee are similar, with easy wire-free installation (smart thermostats aside) and affordable equipment. But there are key differences.
Arlo cameras are of higher quality, offering additional benefits such as 4k resolution. ecobee has unique benefits, such as RapidSOS response and affordability, as you can purchase refurbished products for a substantial discount. Still, if you're looking exclusively at camera quality, Arlo cameras win every time. ecobee offers smart thermostats and additional smart home equipment, though.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.