When it comes to home security systems, you’ve got plenty of options to choose from. Security cameras are the most significant part of your security system, representing the eyes and ears of your home.
Canary is a modern provider launched in 2013 following a successful Kickstarter campaign. Canary provides all-in-one security options for a low price.
Canary and eufy cameras have many similarities, but there are key differences. eufy is a great provider with the motto ‘‘Smart Home Simplified’’. Let’s take a look at what they can offer you.
Canary vs eufy: What do they have in common?
- Voice control: You can control your cameras with voice commands thanks to compatibility with Amazon Alexa.
- HD resolution: eufy and Canary cameras are available in HD 1080p video resolution, offering some of the best video quality in the industry.
- Service area: You can buy their products throughout the USA.
- Two-way talk: You can use two-way audio to communicate with visitors whether you’re home or not.
- Color night vision: You can purchase indoor and outdoor security cameras, the outdoor cameras are weatherproof, and some include color night vision.
- Mobile app: You’ll be able to download a mobile app and monitor a live feed via that. The mobile app is available on iPhone and Android.
- Video doorbells: Doorbell cameras are a great way to keep your home safe; you can purchase one with both providers.
Canary vs eufy: What are the differences?
- Field of view: Some eufy cameras have a 360-degree field of view, compared to Canary’s 145-degree average.
- Smart home automation: eufy offers more smart home devices, including smart scales, robot vacuums, etc.
- Base station: Canary is an all-in-one provider, but eufy often requires additional base stations.
- Pricing: Canary is cheaper.
eufy Security: What you need to know
eufy is a great provider offering smart security equipment, home security cameras, and other add-ons without a subscription plan. You can live stream and access video recordings without paying extra. Let’s break down what eufy has to offer.
The eufy app, which is available on Android and iOS, offers notifications and is easy to use. The eufy app will walk you through a guided installation process, installation is DIY only, and wire-free installation is easiest. The customer support team is easy to reach if you need DIY assistance.
eufy provides various home security equipment from its parent company, Anker. Many appliances are available, including robot vacuums, smart plugs, smart scales, etc. You can buy extra cameras in small bundles or on an a la carte basis. There are no complete security kits. You’ll need a home base for most cameras, apart from the eufy video doorbell.
Most eufy cameras have Wi-Fi, 2-way audio, and other advanced features.
eufy can be used with Google Home, Apple Homekit, and Amazon Anker. eufy offers dedicated options, including smart lights, scales, plugs, and bulbs.
The pricing for eufy products includes:
- eufycam 2 Pro: $239
- eufy Floodlight Camera: $279
eufy's cheapest camera option is less than $40, and the home base includes 16GB of storage (including motion-activated footage). You'll need a cloud storage plan at $3 per month if you want continuous recording. For a more comprehensive package (offering coverage for ten cameras), you’ll pay $10 monthly.
- User friendly: Your app will walk you through the setup; it's not hard to get everything running.
- AI motion detection: The best home security cameras have advanced motion sensors; these cameras can recognize the difference between a dog, a human, etc. Reducing the risk of false alarms.
- Motion zones: You can customize your motion zones, which is particularly beneficial for indoor cameras.
- Battery life: eufy’s battery-powered cameras are great, but some models have better battery life than others. You should carefully consider this and consult reviews before buying.
- No SD card storage: You’ll have some free cloud storage and live view, but eufy cameras don't have MicroSD Card storage.
Canary Security: What you need to know
Canary launched recently with the help of a successful Kickstarter campaign; Canary cameras offer excellent features, including local storage, If This Then That (IFTTT) compatibility, color night vision, live video streaming, etc. Let’s look at what Canary can provide you with.
It’s easier to install a wireless camera than it is to install a wired one; there’s no need to drill holes or use ethernet cables, etc. You can set up your entire security camera system in under 30-minutes; it’s usually a plug-and-play experience. You can chat with customer support via live chat if you have any issues.
Canary’s equipment is limited and only offers smart cameras and mounts. Some cameras do have built-in advanced equipment, which is often provided separately. Canary offers full security in one device. Equipment includes:
- Canary View
- Canary Flex
- Canary Pro
You can also purchase a mount to install your system, including a stake, twist, or secure mount.
You’ll download an app to monitor your full security system, and it’s available on Android and iOS, but only basic integration is provided. There are no smart lightbulbs, locks, etc. But the home automation involved is:
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Apple Homekit
You’ll have various costs to consider when buying your security cameras. Principally, prices include:
- Equipment: You'll buy your equipment upfront; you won’t be able to pay monthly, but you can receive a discount for subscribing, and the most expensive camera is less than $130.
- Monthly costs: If you don't want a premium plan, there are no monthly costs. You can subscribe to a premium plan for $9.99. Monthly fees are optional.
- Warranty: Canary has an excellent warranty, and you’ll be eligible for a refund for up to 2 months after purchase.
- Outdoor security cameras: Canary offers outdoor security cameras with incredible AI and other advanced features.
- Price: The priciest Canary camera is the Flex. The Flex is $129 and includes weatherproofing. Canary is a great affordable provider.
- HD video quality: Canary offers 1080p HD resolution and an excellent frame rate.
- Unique features: Canary offers additional features such as climate control, person detection, AI technology, two-way talk, and a siren.
- No door or window sensors: Canary cameras are excellent, but without contact sensors, you’re leaving your home vulnerable. It could get costly to mount a camera at each entrance.
- Activity zones: Canary doesn't offer customizable motion detection.
Canary or eufy?
There are many similarities, including a mobile app, outdoor cameras, and other features. But there are differences, too.
If you’re looking for the best security cameras, Canary is a solid choice. Canary offers low-cost cameras with advanced motion detection and customizable features. But if you’re looking for a smart home ecosystem, you may want to consider eufy. eufy has more smart home options and equipment at your disposal.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.