August is a San Francisco based company that focuses on home automation products such as electric door locks and doorbell cameras. Its mission is to, “Keep the bad guys out, and let the good guys in.” August says the overall goal is to make your life simpler by providing a secure way to monitor front door access from anywhere.
August Smart Locks allow customers to enter their home without a key, and even provide remote keys for anyone via smartphone. They are high-quality locks, but also add a modern look to your front door along with boosted security. They fit over existing locks, making them ideal for both renters and homeowners. But it is important to know for full functionality, you’ll have to purchase a Connect Wi-Fi Bridge.
The Nerd Verdict: 4 out of 5 stars
August Smart Lock
The August Smart Lock is the basic version of the company’s popular lock. When you purchase the lock on its own, without the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge, features include:
- Keyless entry: August Smart Lock uses Bluetooth technology that allows you to enter your home without a key.
- Auto-lock and unlock: You can set the August Smart Lock to automatically unlock when you are approaching the door. And when you leave, you can also set it to lock. You can also choose to have it lock or unlock within 30 seconds, or up to 30 minutes of your approach or departure.
- DoorSense Technology: This feature will let you know if you’ve left your door ajar, or if it hasn’t been locked properly.
- Mobile app: The mobile app will alert you if the door has been left ajar, and also provides a 24/7 activity log.
- Lost phone feature: If you’ve lost your keys before, it’s possible you could misplace your phone too. August allows you to disable the app and anyone who may have access to any virtual keys via the website.
- Two-factor authentication: If you’re new to the smart lock game, you may be a little wary of hackers and the idea that someone could gain access to your system. August requires two-factor authentication for login, which makes it incredibly difficult for a hacker to gain access to your system.
To get full functionality of the August Smart Lock, add a Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. You’ll get all of the above features, plus:
- Home automation: The August Smart Lock is compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant. That means you can use your voice to lock and unlock your doors, or ask Alexa if your door is secure.
- Remote lock control: If you need to lock or unlock your door while you’re at work, you have the option right from your smartphone. You don’t have to be near the door to lock or unlock when you purchase the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge.
- Grant remote keys: If someone is locked out, or perhaps you forgot today is the cleaning person’s day, you can grant someone access using a remote key via your smartphone. August Smart Lock allows you to grant an unlimited amount of keys via the app.
August Smart Lock Installation
You only need a Phillips head screwdriver to install the lock. The August Smart Lock fits directly over your existing deadbolt, which means there’s no need to change keys or make any major changes to your front door.
August even provides the piece of adhesive tape to keep the keyed side of your deadbolt in place. You simply unscrew the existing thumb latch from the door, and attach the provided mounting plate to the door. It adapts to your specific lock type, although you should check for compatibility prior to purchase. You’ll mount the August Smart Lock and complete setup through the app.
August Smart Lock Pricing
The August Smart Lock usually sells for around $100. But in order to get full functionality, including remote entry and home automation, the price jumps to about $150+ when purchasing the lock and Wi-Fi bridge together.
- Lock and unlock your door, grant keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from the August app, from anywhere
- August Connect Wi Fi Bridge included so you get voice integration and remote access right out of the box
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Simply attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door. Install in under 10 minutes with...
- Only August has Door Sense, a sensor that tells you if your door is securely closed or left opened
- Unlocks automatically as you arrive. Never fumble for keys, shopping, bags or kids when unlocking the door agaInches auto lock can be timed...
- Unlimited remote keys: Some smart lock companies limit the number of keys you can provide to other users, but August Smart Lock allows for unlimited keys, and gives you options when it comes to allowing them to expire.
- Smart home automation: This lock allows for voice control, which is a big plus when you buy the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. You can ask Alexa or Google Assistant if your door is locked, or even lock and unlock using your voice.
- DoorSense technology: This sensor will let you know if your door is ajar, or if you haven’t locked it.
- Wi-Fi bridge required for all features: The August Smart Lock has an impressive array of features, but without the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge, you can’t use the lock to the best of its ability. Purchasing the bridge means almost doubling the price.
- Battery life: The August Smart Lock’s batteries can last as long as six months, although depending on how often it is used, it can last a shorter period of time. Even six months is shorter than the battery life of some other locks.
August Smart Lock Pro
August Smart Lock Pro is the ultimate electric lock, providing a ton of useful features for just about any smart home enthusiast. Like it’s little brother the August Smart Lock, this one also needs the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge to allow for full functionality. When purchasing the lock as a standalone item, features include:
- Keyless entry: The August Smart Lock Pro allows you to enter your home without taking out a traditional key to enter. When you leave, you can also lock your house without a key thanks to Bluetooth technology on your phone working with the smart lock.
- Auto-lock and unlock: For the ultimate convenience, this smart lock will automatically lock and unlock your door when you approach or when you leave. You can also set the August Smart Lock Pro to automatically lock or unlock anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes of your arrival or departure.
- DoorSense Technology: This lock also has a sensor that can tell you if your door has been left open, or if you haven’t secured it properly when leaving the home.
- Mobile app: The mobile app will give you a full 24/7 activity log so you know exactly what’s been happening at your house.
- Lost phone feature: You don’t need to sweat it if your phone gets lost or stolen. You can head to the August website and activate the Lost Phone Feature that will deactivate the lock. You can still unlock your home with your traditional key until you get your phone back.
- Two-factor authentication: This feature makes it tough for hackers to gain entry into your system. The two-factor authentication means you’ll get a notification when you log in, and you’ll have to confirm a second time it’s really you.
To get full functionality of the August Smart Lock Pro, add a Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. You’ll get all of the features above, plus:
- Universal voice compatibility: August Smart Lock Pro lets Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri control your lock. So you lock, unlock, or ask for a status update from any one of them.
- More robust home automation: This model brings the home automation options up an extra level. It is compatible with Z-wave products, Apple HomeKit, IFTTT, and more.
- Remote lock control: Having the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge allows you to control your lock when you’re not at home or in your yard. That means if you need to let a guest in on the fly, you can do that right from your smartphone.
- Grant remote keys: Whether your in-laws are staying for the week, or you have a new roommate, you can grant remote keys for whatever time period you wish using your smartphone. Grant access for weeks, hours, or even minutes and set it to expire based on your needs.
August Smart Lock Pro Installation
August Smart Lock Pro installation is identical to the standard August Smart Lock instructions. You still only need a screwdriver, while August even provides a piece of tape to keep your lock from falling during installation. This lock fits over your existing deadbolt, which means you get the added bonus of still being able to use your traditional keys in a pinch.
Just unscrew the existing thumb latch from the door, and attach the provided mounting plate to the door. It adapts to your specific lock type, and provides an easy way for you to mount the new August Smart Lock Pro right onto your door. If you get stuck, August has plenty of help videos to get you through installation.
August Smart Lock Pro Pricing
The August Smart Lock Pro normally sells for around $200 as a standalone lock. In order to be able to use it remotely or gain access to the home automation perks, you’ll have to purchase the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. It retails for about $80, but you can usually get it cheaper when you bundle it with a lock purchase. On Amazon, you can get both the August Smart Lock Pro and the bridge together at a solid discount:
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately). Wireless requirements-2.4GHertz Wi-Fi network. Connect Wi-Fi Bridge...
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all...
- Be sure you’re secure with DoorSense. Only August has DoorSense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked. Holding force: 600...
- Always know who is coming and going. Track activity at your doorstep with a 24/7 activity feed
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt; Use your existing keys at anytime. Requires 110 to 240 volts
- Universal voice controls: The August Smart Lock Pro allows you to use Siri, Alexa, or Google Assistant to check if your door is secure, or even lock and unlock your door using your voice.
- Robust home automation options: Whether you have Apple HomeKit, Z-Wave compatible products, or another third party product, chances are August Smart Lock Pro can work with it to make your home a smart home.
- DoorSense technology: This sensor will let you know if your door is ajar, or if you haven’t locked it.
- Wi-Fi bridge required for all features: Just like the August Smart Lock, the Pro version needs a Connect-Wi-Fi bridge to unlock all the features.
- Battery life: The battery life is about six months, which isn’t bad, but tends to be lower than some competitors.
- Price: When purchasing the August Smart Lock Pro along with the Connect Wi-Fi Bridge, this lock becomes pretty pricey. There are other locks at comparable prices that also have a built-in alarm.
The Bottom Line
Although having to purchase an additional Wi-Fi bridge to make these locks more useful is a bit of a bummer, it is still worth the price when it comes to both August Smart Lock versions. These smart locks provide an added layer of security, while also allowing you to continue using your traditional locks if the need arises.
August does a great job of allowing for home automation integration options from multiple companies. But even without the Wi-Fi bridge, being able to lock and unlock your door without a key is an incredible convenience. The easy-to-use app provides you a 24/7 activity snapshot of your home, and an added layer of security.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.