Security cameras are a significant deterrence. Criminals are unlikely to target homes where there are security cameras installed. Once you've decided to purchase security cameras, you need to decide which provider to choose. Two great providers are Arlo and YI.
Arlo was launched in 2014 and focuses on security cameras with smart home integration.
YI was also established in 2014 and sells various equipment under its brands, YI and Kami. YI offers dash cams, security cameras, baby monitors, and more. Let's take an in-depth look at what these providers offer.
Arlo vs YI: What do they have in common?
- Installation: YI and Arlo offer simple DIY installation without professional services.
- Weatherproof outdoor cameras: Weatherproof cameras can keep your home safe in all climates.
- Customized motion detection: You can customize your activity zones.
- Cloud storage: YI and Arlo don't provide many local storage options; you'll rely on cloud storage mostly.
- Doorbell cameras: You can purchase a quality video doorbell for a low price.
- Voice control: You can control your system with voice commands thanks to integration with Amazon Alexa.
- Two-way audio: Two-way talk is a great basic feature for many security cameras - you can make it seem like you're home, even when you're not.
- Night vision: Many YI and Arlo options have high-quality night vision, keeping your home safe after dark.
Arlo vs YI: What are the differences?
- Pricing: YI offers some of the cheapest cameras; Arlo can't compete with their pricing.
- Indoor cameras: YI has more indoor camera options, including baby monitors with crying detection.
- HD resolution: Arlo offers 4k HD resolution, YI's best cameras are 1080p HD resolution, which isn't as good.
- Speaker-quality: YI's speakers have quality issues; they don't pick up all sound.
- Video quality: Arlo has a better frame rate; YI's slower frame rate decreases video quality.
- Customer support: Arlo's customer support is more responsive.
- Local storage: YI offers more local storage, with a MicroSD card slot on every camera, except the video doorbell.
YI: What you need to know
YI launched in 2014 as a modern, affordable provider offering cutting-edge imaging technologies, HD video security cameras for home and business, plus baby monitors and dash cams.
YI cameras offer simple installation. Everything you need comes with your new camera. The only problem is that the support line can be difficult to get in touch with. If you can't find the answers yourself, you can get stuck. All cameras are wireless (except the Kami outdoor camera). You'll need a power outlet for the Kami outdoor camera.
YI offers plenty of compatible equipment alongside the YI home app. Popular equipment includes:
- Video doorbells
- Baby monitors
- Indoor and outdoor cameras
YI cameras are wire-free with motion-activated video recordings and real-time monitoring. You can plug in your camera, but some are battery-powered. Battery life isn't great, and most YI cameras have a limited field of view (110 degrees). But, you get what you pay for. For less than $30, they offer an advanced and useful product.
YI smart cameras encompass motion tracking and advanced human detection, but third-party integrations are almost unavailable. Alexa compatibility is offered with some cameras, but that's about it.
- Equipment costs: YI cameras are cheap, the YI 1080p camera starts at $24.99, and the YI Dome costs $60 but has more advanced features. You'll have an excellent camera for a low-price irrespective of what you choose.
- Monthly costs: YI keeps 6-second clips if there's a motion trigger, but you'll need to subscribe to an additional plan for $5+ monthly or more for additional recording.
- The Entry plan covers seven days of history and one camera for $5.
- The Standard plan costs $12 and covers 15 days of history plus five cameras.
- The Plus plan covers a 30-day history and five cameras for $19 a month.
- Cost: YI sells some of the industry's most affordable indoor security cameras, starting from $24.99.
- User-friendly: YI cameras are easy to use and install.
- Quality: YI cuts corners in some areas, including resolution, customer service, and frame rate, to help reduce prices.
- Speaker quality: YI speakers are of low quality.
- Battery-life: YI's battery life leaves a lot to be desired.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo is a well-known provider of home security and smart home products. If you're looking for an easy installation without complex wiring and want a 4k resolution camera, you're looking in the right place.
Arlo's DIY installation is straightforward; wireless cameras can be set up in no time. The video doorbells are the easiest - taking less than 5 minutes to get up and running. All Arlo products are easy to install. You plug in the base station and follow the steps outlined in the app to get started.
Arlo focuses on cameras, not providing the key parts of a full alarm system (no contact sensors, etc.), but they do offer a variety of security products, including:
- Arlo Ultra indoor/outdoor cameras
- Arlo Pro 2
- Arlo Pro 3
- Arlo Pro 4
- Video doorbells
- Baby monitors
- Customizable floodlights
Arlo cameras offer a 180-degree viewing angle, 4K resolution, two-way audio, and excellent de-warping technology. Great customer service and package discounts are additional benefits you can enjoy.
Arlo provides numerous automation possibilities, including baby monitors and doorbell cameras. The new "Works With Arlo" promises more third-party integrations.
Current integrations include Telguard, Wink, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
Arlo's cameras are affordable, standard outdoor and indoor cameras start from $129, and doorbell cameras start from $80. You can get the maximum value by preplanning your purchase. If you bulk buy, you can enjoy discounts.
- Smart item detection: Smart item detection lessens the chance of a false alarm.
- Brilliant video quality: Arlo's camera options have HD video quality, with at least 1080p resolution for all cameras. The Ultra HD has 4k resolution.
- Weather-resistant cameras: With weather-resistant cameras and infrared night vision, Arlo cameras can keep your home safe in any weather, day and night.
- Activity zones: Arlo offers personalized notifications and customized activity zones.
- Battery life: Arlo cameras have inadequate battery life; you should research each individual product to be sure the battery is sufficient.
- Motion sensors: No contact sensors (window, door, etc.) or environmental sensors are available.
Arlo vs YI: Which one is best?
Security cameras provide great peace of mind, but knowing which provider offers the best home security camera can be hard. Arlo and YI offer low-price surveillance cameras with two-way talk, motion alerts, and other excellent features. While they offer similar products, YI cuts corners to achieve such low prices. Arlo fits the bill if you're looking for the best outdoor security camera. YI offers 1080p video and low-price indoor cameras with unique features, though. If you're looking for a low-cost baby monitor or indoor Wi-Fi camera, you can consider YI cameras.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.