Arlo was founded in 2014, focusing on high-quality wireless security cameras and smart home equipment.
EZVIZ was launched in 2013, specializing in wireless cameras and cloud storage connectivity with its online storage platform, EZVIZ cloud.
EZVIZ and Arlo have many similarities, but there are key differences, too. Let's take a look at what they can offer you.
Arlo vs EZVIZ: What do they have in common?
- Color night vision: You can always keep your home safe, thanks to high-quality night vision capabilities.
- Weatherproof: Your home security system will be weatherproof and resistant to most conditions.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, you'll be able to control your system with voice commands.
- Two-way talk: You can use two-way audio to make it seem like you're home, even if you're not.
- Mobile app: High-quality mobile apps offered by EZVIZ and Arlo, they'll send you push notifications to keep you updated and keep your home secure.
- Flexibility: You won't be forced into taking out a long-term contract; each provider offers great flexibility.
- Pan-tilt-zoom cameras: You can adjust your cameras to get a better view.
- Video doorbells: Doorbell cameras are an affordable, popular way to keep your home safe.
- Installation: You'll need to complete self-installation; there's no professional installation offered.
Arlo vs EZVIZ: What are the differences?
- Field of view: EZVIZ offers a 360-degree viewing angle. Arlo's viewing angle maxes out at 180 degrees.
- Pricing: EZVIZ is cheaper than Arlo.
- Resolution: Arlo has HD cameras, including 4k resolution and a quality frame rate. EZVIZ offers 720p and 1080p video cameras.
- Local storage options: EZVIZ offers more local storage options, including MicroSD cards and NVR (Network Video Recorder).
- Air purifiers: EZVIZ offers air purifiers and other home accessories.
- Smart home automation: EZVIZ offers a couple of smart home integrations, but Arlo has a more comprehensive set of smart home options.
EZVIZ: What you need to know
EZVIZ is a quality, low-cost provider best known for flexibility and affordability, alongside decent video quality and fairly good security assurances. EZVIZ offers outdoor security cameras, including battery-powered versions.
Everything you require to complete installation comes with the camera; most include a base mount, and wireless and wired options may be installed differently. The customer service line is responsive but has varying reviews.
The app and website also contain some information related to installation if you require extra help but don't want to call customer support.
EZVIZ provides you with various options for your security camera system; several surveillance cameras are on offer, and they all have decent specs. Around a dozen indoor cameras and outdoor cameras are available, including doorbell cameras. The most affordable (the CIC 730p camera) is around $20, providing good enough picture quality and compatibility with MicroSD cards.
Equipment offered by EZVIZ includes:
- Indoor and outdoor cameras
- Air purifiers
- Smart lights
- Pet cameras
EZVIZ doesn't have much going for it in terms of smart home integration. Amazon Alexa is the only significant one on offer, but EZVIZ has a couple of its own integrations, including smart locks, lights, and thermostats.
- Equipment costs: EZVIZ cameras are very cheap, and the IP (internet protocol) cameras start from just $20.
- Monthly fees: If you use local storage, there are no monthly fees, but if you need cloud storage, you'll pay at least $5.99 per month.
- Costs: EZVIZ is one of the cheaper providers.
- Flexibility: There are no contracts required for EZVIZ, giving you full flexibility.
- Motion sensors: Advanced motion detectors can be used to customize motion zones; they also offer accurate person detection technology.
- Reputation: EZVIZ has some poor online reviews for lack of quality customer service.
- Video storage limits: While they offer cloud storage, it will cost you (plans start at $5.99 a month), and there's no free cloud storage option (apart from a free trial). You can use an SD card, but they don't always provide enough storage.
- No professional monitoring: You can't access professional monitoring with EZVIZ.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo is a great home security provider focusing on smart home security; Arlo is one of the best home security systems if you're looking for a simple installation that doesn't require complex wiring or drilling.
Arlo's DIY process couldn't be simpler; the wireless cameras can be configured in minutes, and Arlo's doorbell cameras can be hooked up in 5 minutes or less; all Arlo products are simple with a plug-and-play installation.
Arlo doesn't offer some of the critical components of a smart home security system, but they do offer a variety of home security products, including:
- Arlo Ultra indoor/outdoor cameras
- Arlo Pro 2
- Arlo Pro 3
- Arlo Pro 4
- Video doorbells
- Indoor security cameras
- Baby monitors
- Customizable floodlights
Some Arlo cameras offer 4k resolution, a 180-degree field of view, unlimited video recording, and cutting-edge de-warping technology.
Arlo provides multiple automation options, plus doorbell cameras. The new "Works With Arlo" pledges more smart home options and integrations in the future.
Integrations include Telguard, Apple Homekit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Wink.
Arlo's cheapest doorbell cameras start at $80, and indoor/outdoor cameras begin at $129 for a basic camera. You can access bulk purchase discounts. If you pre-plan your purchase, you could save more money.
- Smart item detection: Arlo cameras offer advanced smart item and motion detection, reducing the risk of false alarms.
- Brilliant video quality: Arlo's camera options have HD video quality, with at least 1080p HD resolution. The Ultra has 4k resolution, which is something most companies can't offer.
- Battery life: Arlo doesn't have the best battery life compared to some competitors, which is a shame since they offer so much battery-powered equipment.
- Higher upfront cost: Since you can't spread the cost, the upfront costs are higher than some providers.
- Pricing: EZVIZ can't be beaten on price, despite Arlo's low pricing.
Arlo or EZVIZ?
Arlo is a superior smart security provider. If you're looking for the best home security cameras, Arlo Wi-fi cameras are wire-free, simple to install and set up and offer some of the best resolutions in the business. Arlo offers better customer service than EZVIZ and has more compatibility with gadgets and smart home devices.
But EZVIZ cameras are cheaper, starting at around $20. EZVIZ cameras are of lower quality and without IFTTT (If This Then That) functionality. If you don't mind paying a little extra, Arlo offers some of the best outdoor security cameras with an array of features for an affordable price.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.