If you're considering upgrading your home security, it can be overwhelming to realize your many choices. There are dozens of providers and even more products to choose from; Arlo and eufy are two great options.
Arlo was launched in 2014 to focus on smart home products and quality, affordable cameras with night vision and other excellent features.
eufy was founded in 2016 and has built a stellar customer service reputation, though they are also known for great quality security cameras, floodlights, and more. Let's take an in-depth look at what these providers can offer you.
eufy vs Arlo: What do they have in common?
- Mobile app: You'll have access to a quality mobile app with each provider; the apps are available on iOS and Android.
- Customizable activity zones: You can customize your motion detection zones to help keep your home safe.
- Video doorbells: A quality doorbell camera is a great add-on to your home security system - you can purchase one from each provider.
- Amazon Alexa compatibility: Thanks to compatibility with Amazon Alexa, you can control the system with your voice.
- Color night vision: Several cameras offered by each includes color night vision.
- Outdoor security cameras: Arlo and eufy both offer weatherproof home security cameras for outdoor use.
- Battery life: eufy and Arlo products are battery-powered, with some limitations around battery life.
- Cloud storage: You'll have access to cloud storage with each provider, though some local storage/MicroSD card storage is also offered.
- Video quality: Most Arlo and eufy cameras support HD 1080p resolution.
eufy vs Arlo: What are the differences?
- Pricing: eufy is cheaper than Arlo.
- Field of view: Arlo cameras have an excellent field of view, but eufy can't be topped; some eufy cameras have a 360-degree field of view.
- Entry sensors: Arlo doesn't offer entry sensors, but eufy does.
- Home accessories: eufy provides more smart home accessories, including robotic vacuums and other accessories.
eufy security: What you need to know
eufy is an impressive self-monitoring provider specializing in smart video doorbells and other security cameras. eufy was launched in 2016 and offers you a simple app with live streaming and free playback; eufy doesn't require any strict contracts. Let's break down what they have to offer.
The eufy app, available on iOS and Android, offers impressive functionality and notifications. One of the best app features is that it'll walk you through the simple installation step-by-step. Installation is DIY only, without any options for professional installation, but it's very simple. Customer service is easy to access if you require troubleshooting assistance.
eufy offers a decent variety of home appliances and security equipment in partnership with Anker, its parent company. Equipment available includes:
- Video doorbells
- Floodlight cams
- Smart lighting
- Smart scales
- Entry sensors
- Robotic vacuums
You'll need a eufy base station for most cameras, except the video doorbell. Most eufy cameras have Wi-Fi/2.4ghz connectivity.
Your eufy system will be compatible with some IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment, including Google Assistant and Apple Homekit. Alexa integration is also available. There are several purpose-built solutions available from Anker, too. Anker offers dedicated smart lights, locks, and smart sensors. You can start a decent smart home ecosystem with that.
There are several costs, but the most popular eufy cameras include:
- eufycam 2 Pro: $239
- eufy Floodlight Cam: $279
eufy's cheapest camera costs less than $40, and the home base includes motion-activated footage (16GB). You can pay an additional $10 fee for more storage and up to 10 cameras covered.
- User friendly: You'll be walked through a step-by-step setup; it couldn't be simpler to get started and manage your system.
- AI motion detection: Advanced motion sensors can discern between a person, dog, etc. The risk of false alarms is low.
- Motion zones: You can customize your motion zones.
- Battery life: eufy offers battery-powered equipment, but some models have mediocre battery life.
- No professional installation: You'll need to be ready to monitor and install your new system; there's no assistance available.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo is a newer home security provider focused on providing high-resolution security cameras and smart home devices. The Arlo app is popular, and the installation process is very simple. Let's take a look at what Arlo has to offer.
The DIY process is very simple; professional installation isn't offered, but you won't miss it. The wireless cameras can be set up in a few minutes, Arlo's video doorbell is the easiest to get up and running, but most products are very easy.
Arlo doesn't offer some of the components you'd expect in a smart security system, such as monitoring sensors, etc. Still, there are a variety of cameras offered, including:
- Arlo Ultra indoor/outdoor cameras
- Arlo Pro 2
- Arlo Pro 3
- Arlo Pro 4
- Video doorbells
- Indoor security cameras
- Baby monitors
- Customizable floodlights
Some Arlo cameras offer crisp 4k resolution, a 180-degree field of view, limitless video recording, and unique de-warping technology.
The "Works with Arlo" recently pledged more smart home integrations, including third-party integrations, but Arlo already has a decent cache of smart home options, including compatibility with Wink, Telguard, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and more.
You can save money purchasing security cameras in bulk, so you should carefully pre-plan your purchases, but an indoor/outdoor weatherproof camera will cost around $129.
- Smart item detection: Like eufy, Arlo cameras offer advanced motion detection and item recognition, reducing the risk of a false alarm.
- Outdoor security cameras: Arlo offers high-quality outdoor cameras, including weatherproofing, to keep your home safe in all conditions.
- Color night vision: You can keep your home safe at night with crisp color night vision.
- Brilliant video quality: Arlo's cameras offer HD video quality, with at least 1080p HD resolution. The Ultra has 4k resolution, which is something most companies can't offer.
- Battery life: Arlo doesn't have the best battery life compared to some competitors, which is a shame since they offer so much battery-powered equipment.
- Environmental sensors: There are no environmental sensors or motion sensors. The lack of motion sensors is a possible security risk as the system can only tell you about what it sees.
Arlo or eufy?
If you're looking for the best security camera system with third-party smart home devices, Arlo is a great option. But Arlo and eufy have significant crossover, including quality apps, two-way audio, person detection, and more. eufy may not offer 4k resolution, but they do offer excellent video quality, floodlight cameras, and other home accessories to provide extra convenience. Arlo is around twice the price of eufy's cheapest camera; if you want to save money, you should choose eufy.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.