Upgrading your home security cameras is a great idea, but there are dozens of security providers you can choose from. Arlo was launched in 2014 and specializes in providing security cameras and smart home products; Ecobee is a Canadian provider of security products; they launched in 2007 to provide affordable security cameras. Ecobee is known for offering quality refurbished equipment; you can save money by purchasing pre-owned equipment.
Arlo and Ecobee have plenty in common but key differences too. Let's take a look at what Arlo and Ecobee have to offer.
Arlo vs Ecobee: What do they have in common?
- Cloud storage: You'll rely heavily on cloud storage.
- Indoor cameras: You can purchase a variety of indoor security cameras.
- Mobile app: You can manage your security system through your mobile app; Arlo and Ecobee offer apps for iOS and Android users.
- Customizable activity zones: You can customize your activity zones and receive notifications if motion is sensed in your activity zone.
- Environmental monitoring: There are no environmental sensors.
- Two-way audio: Doorbell cameras come with two-way talk.
- Warranty: Your equipment will come with a warranty.
- HD resolution: Most Arlo and Ecobee cameras are in 1080p HD resolution.
- Field of view: Most cameras have a 180-degree field of view.
- Self-installation: You'll need to install your own home security cameras.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa compatibility, you can use voice commands to control your system.
Arlo vs Ecobee: What are the differences?
- Weatherproof outdoor security cameras: Ecobee specializes in indoor cameras, but Arlo offers weatherproof outdoor cameras with features such as color night vision.
- Smart home security: Arlo and Ecobee offer smart home integration, but there are significant differences. Arlo focuses on Z-wave compatibility and third-party integration, whereas Ecobee focuses on DIY equipment such as video doorbells, the Ecobee smart camera, and thermostat.
- 4k resolution: The Arlo UltraHD camera includes 4k resolution. 4k resolution is the best in the industry.
- Door and window sensors: Ecobee offers contact sensors, but Arlo doesn't.
- Refurbished equipment: Ecobee allows you to save money by purchasing pre-owned equipment.
- Professional monitoring: Ecobee offers professional monitoring; Arlo doesn't.
Ecobee: What you need to know
Ecobee is best known for the Ecobee smart thermostat and other smart home devices. They've since started offering full security cameras and professional monitoring and motion sensors. Let's see what Ecobee can offer you.
The installation process will vary, but the Ecobee SmartCamera (a Wi-Fi camera) can be set up in minutes; you'll need to drill the mount into the wall. A smart thermostat is harder to install, and you may require professional assistance. While comprehensive online walkthroughs are available, professional installation isn't offered.
Ecobee offers a vast array of equipment, including:
- Door sensors
- Window sensors
- Wi-Fi thermostats
- Voice-controlled cameras and thermostats
- Switch + Smart speaker
Ecobee offers a feature-packed range, including smart speakers, thermostats, and more. Third-party integrations are growing and currently include IFTTT (If This Then That) equipment such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Equipment costs: Various pre-assembled kits include cameras; they start from around $250. You can purchase cameras for $99, but you can save more money by buying a refurbished camera.
- Monthly fees: Subscribing is optional, but you can purchase Ecobee Haven for unlimited capabilities. You can pay $5 per month to store videos. You can also pay $10 monthly for unlimited storage and RapidSOS response.
- Refurbished products: Ecobee offers refurbished and approved products; you can save more than 50% off by purchasing reconditioned products.
- Professional monitoring: Professional monitoring services are available for just $10 a month.
- Warranty: All equipment has a three-year warranty.
- Voice control: Thanks to Amazon Alexa, voice control is available to control your system.
- Smart home integration: Ecobee has excellent smart thermostats and compatibility with several IFTTT products, including Apple Homekit, allowing you to enjoy a comprehensive smart home system.
- No environmental sensors: Ecobee doesn't offer any environmental monitoring.
- Outdoor security cameras: Aside from video doorbells, Ecobee doesn't provide outdoor cameras.
- Cellular backup: You're vulnerable to issues such as power cuts as there's no cellular backup.
Arlo: What you need to know
Arlo is a modern home security provider focused on smart home security. If you're looking for simple installation, a smart home ecosystem, and a quality mobile app, you can't go wrong with Arlo. Let's break down what they have to offer.
You can't choose professional installation with Arlo, but the DIY process couldn't be more straightforward - the wireless cameras can be set up in minutes. Arlo's video doorbell is the fastest, taking 5 minutes to set up. Most Arlo products have plug-and-play installation.
Arlo doesn't offer many of the key components of a full home security system, such as monitoring sensors, environmental sensors, etc. Still, they do offer a variety of home security products, including:
- Arlo Ultra indoor/outdoor cameras
- Arlo Pro 2, 3 and 4
- Video doorbells
- Indoor security cameras
- Baby monitors
- Customizable floodlights
Some Arlo cameras offer crisp 4k resolution, a 180-degree field of view, limitless video recording, and unique de-warping technology.
The recently launched "Works with Arlo" pledges more smart home integrations and options in the future, but for now, Arlo already has a decent cache of smart home options, including doorbell cameras and third-party integrations such as Wink, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and more.
Arlo's lowest-cost camera is the video doorbell for $80, but an indoor/outdoor camera starts at $129 for a basic Wi-Fi camera. Bulk purchases may result in a discount, so you can save money.
- Smart item detection: Arlo cameras offer advanced item and motion detection, reducing the risk of a false alarm.
- Outdoor security cameras: Arlo offers high-quality outdoor cameras.
- Brilliant video quality: Arlo's camera options have HD video quality, with at least 1080p HD resolution. The Ultra has 4k resolution, which is something most companies can't offer.
- Battery life: Arlo doesn't have the best battery life compared to some competitors, which is a shame since they offer so much battery-powered equipment.
- Environmental sensors: There are no environmental sensors or motion sensors. The lack of motion sensors is a possible security risk as the system can only tell you about what it sees.
Arlo or Ecobee?
Arlo offers 1080p video cameras (and has recently branched into 4k resolution) if you're looking for the best home security cameras. Ecobee has a lot to offer with motion sensors, an excellent app, and professional monitoring.
Arlo offers the best cameras, but Ecobee can offer you more as a security system. The lack of monitoring and contact sensors with Arlo is a real letdown; the drawback with Ecobee is the lack of outdoor cameras and night vision.
This article has been reviewed and approved by Officer Banta.
Officer Banta is the official SecurityNerd home security and safety expert. A member of the Biloxi Police Department for over 24 years, Officer Banta reviews all articles before lending his stamp of approval. Click here for more information on Officer Banta and the rest of our team.